3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2009 9:17 PM by Sean_Wilson

File based DVD playback in director.

SystemlordAnubis

Hello All,

We're wanting to create a director/shockwave application which is capable of reading information from a database (specifically the information to load a file based DVD) for playback on a locally created TV channel.

We had an application developed using FLV and Flash which played a show (loaded an external FLV into SWF) played the show through and then read the database playlist and loaded the next.

The problem is that converting our media to FLV format in the quality we need is a very long process and we could streamline this by using DVD based playback.

What I need to be able to achieve is have director access the database, determine the show to be loaded and get its length, start a countdown timer on screen till the show's beginning, then once the timer expires, play the show; before the end of the show, reconnect to the database and get the next show and its play time.  In between the show, randomly select previews of other shows come up (also pulled from the database).

I'm reasonably sure this is possible (as we've had it working in flash) but I have no idea how to get it functioning using file based DVD media (ie: not on a disc, on the file system) or how to get director to connect to the database.

Code samples or examples would be extremly appreciated.

Thanks
      Anubis.

• 1. Re: File based DVD playback in director.
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

It's a very broad question you ask, so I'll start by suggesting you break it down into manageable pieces, especially if you're new to Director development.

As far as DVD playback goes, you can use a DVD member (by setting its 'folder' property on the fly to link to different content), or probably the MPEG Advance xtra if you can guarantee the ability for the end-user machine to have an MPEG2 decoder available.

What format is your DB (Access, Oracle, SQLServer, MySQL, SQLite, ...)? Check the Mile High Table for xtra options to communicate with it.

• 2. Re: File based DVD playback in director.
            SystemlordAnubis Level 1

Hello Sean,

Thank you VERY much for your reply.  I was starting to loose all hope that this was possible in director and beginning to research other platforms with which to achieve our goals.

I realise the question was a bit vague and/or broad; my apologies but I wanted to give a general overview to the whole project.  As mentioned I had accomplished this project entirely in Flash CS4 but due to flash's limitation on content (only being able to play FLV) it was too cumbersome.

I have tried adding a DVD member to the cast/stage but I've not been able to set its content to a folder, each time I try, it attempts to load from the DVD Rom.  The end user machine will have an MPEG2 decoder installed as we're controlling the systems its playing on; they will be dedicated video server machines to operate the channels.

The database is MSSQL; in flash I wasn't actually getting flash to interact with the database directly, rather, flash would load a dynamically generated XML file by an internal ASP.NET site specifically designed to hand the right data back to flash.  So I would essentially want director to do the same thing, read the XML input similar to the below:

<tsxml>

<feature type="Movie" loc="X:\Dir1\F1" t1loc="X:\Dir1\F1T1" t2loc="X:\Dir1\F1T2" runtime="190293" title="Feature Film" />

<feature type="Movie" loc="X:\Dir1\F2" t1loc="X:\Dir1\F2T1" t2loc="X:\Dir1\F2T2" runtime="174824" title="Feature Film 2" />

</tsxml>

I'll have another go now at getting the DVD member to read from a folder.  You mention setting the folder on the fly; I'm assuming this is in the scripting of Director.  How do I get to this panel?

Thanks again for your very, welcome help!!

Anubis.

• 3. Re: File based DVD playback in director.
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

As far as loading XML goes, you could use a Flash sprite, or "pure" code-object Flash methods to do this - so that you're on familiar ground. Alternatively there is the XML Parser xtra.

I'll have another go now at getting the DVD member to read from a folder.  You mention setting the folder on the fly; I'm assuming this is in the scripting of Director.  How do I get to this panel?

I'm not sure which panel you're hoping for, if it's the Script Window you need to hit Ctrl + 0 or choose the entry from the Window menu.

If you had a button on your stage, and had inserted a DVD member, named it "DVD" and placed it on the stage with the playhead looping above this DVD sprite, you might add the following to the button (warning: I didn't try this myself but I know the general concept works):

on click
                -- just in case you use a Flash Component button...
                me.mSetDVDFolder()
              end

on mouseUp me
                me.mSetDVDFolder()
              end

on mSetDVDFolder me
                member("DVD").folder = "fully_qualified_path_to_VOB_file"
              end