19 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2009 10:55 AM by the_wine_snob

More problems with still pictures!

<<<<>>>> Level 1

When I drag images to the timeline their size changes!?? All the pics are scaled to frame size and then I changed pixel aspect ratio to D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (that's my project size) And it doesn't matter what the pixel aspect ratio is 'cause it does the same with all of the options. Is this another bug or am I doing something wrong? Again I have had no problems in previous versions... Should I just change back to CS3 because I'm making a documentary which involves hundreds of pictures? It needs to be done before June so I don't have time to wait for the updates.

• 1. Re: More problems with still pictures!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It helps to know some details like frame size, PAR, project settings, what changes in what way, etc.

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 2. Re: More problems with still pictures!
            <<<<>>>> Level 1

Sorry, this text was originally in another topic but somebody asked me to do a new one so I just copy pasted it here..

So the project is DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (I'm European), Image Size: 720 x 576, Pixel Depth: 32, Frame Rate: 25,00

All pics are quite small and 72 DPI.

There is nothing more to tell, image size just changes in monitor when I drag it to the timeline. In source window the image shows normally.

• 3. Re: More problems with still pictures!
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

All pics are quite small

Clearly smaller than your frame size, that's why you think they are being resized, but they are not.

See: FAQ:How do I automatically scale clips to the Project Size?

Cheers
              Eddie

• 4. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                <<<<>>>> Level 1

No I just ment that that's not the problem, they aren't too big but they're bigger than the frame size.. And they have to be bigger 'cause I'm going to scale and put motion on them.

• 5. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                  <<<<>>>> Level 1

And like I said all the pics are scaled to frame size and they show fine in the source monitor.

• 6. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

I see. So what size does PPro show for the clip in the Effect Controls Panel? Please post a screen shot.

Cheers
                    Eddie

• 7. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                      <<<<>>>> Level 1

Hmmmm, actually now I found a way to have the photos to be normal......... I changed pixel aspect ratio to NTSC (!!!??) Widescreen and now the image is normal. WHAT?? I am 100% sure that the project is DV PAL!!

I think I have something wrong with my original settings?? How can I change them???

I didn't even realize this before but when I go to "Interpret footage" the original setting is: use picture aspect ratio from FILE:  D1/DV NTSC (0,9091). Where is it getting this info?

• 8. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

From the file. The problem was that you did not supply sufficient info from the start to help you find it. Hence my question.

When you ask a question and other people do not know your setup, workflow, or your problem, it is very important to be Precise in your description of the problem. Otherwise the result is a wild-guessing game, taking lots of posts. There is a post explaining all this:

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 9. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                          <<<<>>>> Level 1

I don't know what info I can give you more?

My project is D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9, framesize 720 x 576 and for some reason my imported images need to be NTSC Widescreen 720 x 480. (I didn't know this when I posted the topic..) Where is the problem? And if I change the pics to NTSC does it mess up my project when exporting?

• 10. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Why do they need to be 720 x 480 NTSC? Why can't they be PAL? Why use non-square pixels? Why not convert the stills to an acceptable format in PS?

• 11. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                              <<<<>>>> Level 1

I clearly don't know how to explain my problem.. Photos are normal jpeg and gif formats and I have never had any problems using stills in Premiere before CS4. The problem was that if I use anything else than NTSC the image for some reason shrinks. And scale to fit frame size doesn't work either so there must be something wrong with my original settings. How would I say it clearly... It's like my imported photos think my project is NTSC widescreen though its PAL widescreen.

• 12. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Is it a State Secret to divulge the frame size? Are you bound by the NSA? We have been asking for these basic data for some time, since post # 1, and unless you come up with some answers, you have to figure it out yourself.

• 13. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                                  <<<<>>>> Level 1

Never mind I found the problem! Some of my photos were exported from AVI to GIF. This exporting frame with CS4 was new to me and apparently the original setting for exporting GIF is 720 x 480.. I really don't get it why they have done it so difficult!!? in CS3 you just had to export frame and that was it!

Sorry about this, It just looked like all of the photos were somehow shrinking but I guess most of them were these exported GIFs. Thanks anyway and hopefully there will be some changes to this problem too in upcoming updates! It's weird that the new Premiere doesn't automatically change GIF to the project size!

• 14. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                                    <<<<>>>> Level 1

haha, sorry I just had different frame sizes in photos.. I didn't even check the GIF photos because I was so sure they were the same size as project..

• 15. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The proceedure for Exporting a Still did change with CS4. The reasons for the change have been debated quite a bit.

The good news is that the proceedure is *supposed to* change, with the release of the CS4 4.1 update. Most folk are hoping that it does. Something so simple, and so oft-used, WAS made more difficult.

Glad that you got it worked out, good luck.

Hunt

• 16. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                                        <<<<>>>> Level 1

Thanks Hunt, I'm crossing my fingers that the new updates would come soon 'cause I have only 4 weeks or less to finish my documentary

• 17. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

It has been rumored to be "late May." There may still be time for you, if that is at all accurate. Many people have their fingers X'ed.

In the meantime, you can still use the AME Export to Still function, but it does involve more keystrokes and also the time to do it.

One possible workaround would be to find someone on CS2/CS3, hand off a copy of your footage with notations on the TimeCode, that you wished to have Exported as Still, and let them generate the images in the "old" manner. Depending on the number that you're talking about, this might be much more work, than to do it the CS4 way, or might well be a time-saver.

Also, unless you have a really, really good reason to use GIF, I'd strongly suggest TIF, or BMP. If you're going to Photoshop for any work, just stick with the TIF. Now, if you do have a really good reason for the GIF, ignore what I just said.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] On my way out the door, I read your OP and saw that you did once have CS3. Were it my Project, I'd install CS3 on another computer, Import my Assets into a proper Project Preset, and do the Export to Still from there. With "hundreds" to do, I think that it would take less time to install, copy Assets, Export as Still, then copy those over to your workstation, than to fight though the AME workflow. - still, good luck.

• 18. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                                            <<<<>>>> Level 1

Do you think that if I set the GIF-photos to NTSC widescreen size it will mess up my project? It took me 9 hrs to export all the frames.But actually I exported most of them from mpeg and as you may know CS4 doesn't really like mpeg so the program shut down all the time... Yep, maybe I'll just move all my stuff to CS3 before I'll become a bascet case

(And btw there's no reason for me using GIF, usually I use BMP..)

• 19. Re: More problems with still pictures!
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If your Project is PAL 16:9, that is what I would Export as. This will keep your PAR correct, and keep your images sized to the frame-size of your Project. No need (that I can think of) to bollox up the works with NTSC anything.

Since GIF is Indexed 256 colors Mode, I would only use it for special requirements. TIF would be MY first choice, with BMP next. Now, almost every still that I have ever Exported, goes into Photoshop along the workflow path. I always Save_As .PSD for Import back into PrPro. If you will not do any work in PS on these, then I can't immediately think of any good argument for TIFF, over BMP, other than my personal habits  (maybe slightly smaller file size?).

For MPEG Assets (SD only), I always convert to DV-AVI Type II outside of PrPro. Nearly always saves me time and effort down the line. Luckily, most of my footage is DV-AVI Type II to begin with - but not all, unfortunately. [Dang those clients with Flip cameras, and the like... !]

My footage directs my Project Presets, and I keep those throughout the workflow - everything, stills, Menus, everything, stays in that format, or is converted to it, before Import. For stills, PS, as of the CS version, does a great job with non-square PAR for both NTSC and PAL. Now, PrPro CS4 has made a little "correction" regarding PAR, but my older PS is still close enough.

Good luck,

Hunt