15 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2009 8:49 AM by pebalsamo

AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray

pebalsamo Level 2

I have a current project that was shot in HDV and I am trying to export an H.264 Blu Ray file.  This is a 4 Disk set and the other 3 files exported with no problems but for some reason I cannot get this last one (which happens to be Disk #3).  I will start AME running as I am getting ready to leave my office.  When I come back in the morning there is nothing open on my desktop, just the normal screen.  Anyoen have any ideas???  Below are my export setting and computer info

Format: H.264 Blu Ray

Preset: Custom

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 16:9

Profile: High

Level: 4.1

Bitrate Encoding: VBR 2 pass

Target Bitrate: 20 Mbps

Maximum Bitrate: 25 Mbps

Audio: PCM

Multiplexing: None

Computer

Windows XP Pro 64

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz

4 GB RAM

300 GB System Drive

1.5 TB Video Dive with 700 GB of free space.

Thanks

Phil

• 1. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Start AME from the Windows Start menu and check the log. What does it tell you?

Note that no version of PPro is supported under Windows XP x64.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
            pebalsamo Level 2

This is from the regular LOG.

5/9/2009 12:37:29 PM : Queue Started

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Kapadia Wedding_24.prproj
            - Output File: V:\DVD's\Kapadia\From Premiere\Disk_3_HD.m4v
            - Preset Used: Custom
            - Video: NTSC, 1440x1080, 29.97 [fps], Upper
            - Audio: PCM Audio, 48 kHz, Stereo
            - Bitrate: VBR, 2 Pass, Target 20.00, Max 25.00 [Mbps]

That is it...  It does not show that there was a problem or that it was completed.

I then went into the Errors Log and there was nothing about this particular project.

Do you think that maybe the PC is shutting down and restarting?  Not sure how I would know that...

Dont get me started on the Pr not supported by XP 64 thing.  Quite frustrating to me....

Phil

• 3. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
              pebalsamo Level 2

I have got a few other things to do around my office today so I think I am going to start the render now and see if I can figure out if the computer is re-booting or not...

Phil

• 4. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

It's possible that your IT guys or Windows Update are triggering the overnight reboot, so you may not encounter it during the day.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

Quite frustrating to me....

That's my point. My try to force a square peg into a round hole? It just causes frustration.

Cheers
                  Eddie

• 6. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                    pebalsamo Level 2

Well it had been running for two hours and I came up to check on it and the computer was restarting...  There were no errors in the AME Log.  I have been trying this from a nested sequence.  The original sequence was over 3 hours long so I split it into 2 sequences.  I am going to try it with the original sequence and see if there something it does not like with that nested sequence...

Phil

• 7. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Check the Windows Event Viewer as well.  If there's no error entry around the estimated time of restart, it may be a system failure that's rebooting the system.

Do you have your computer set up to restart automatically for a system failure (Blue Screen Of Death, or BSOD) occurs?  If so, change that behavior.  I'm on Vista these days, but IIRC XP was similar or identical: it's under the Advanced tab of the System Properties.

If it's a BSOD, then that's almost certainly a hardware issue.  Overheating, perhaps?

-Jeff

• 8. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                        pebalsamo Level 2

I have looked at the System log and not seen anything Obvious to me.  There are quite a few entries that honestly do not make any sense to me, but nothing that seemed to be associated with a reboot.  I was looking at my system settings yesterday and noticed that the Restart option was selected.  I will go in there this morning and uncheck that and see what happens.

Yesterday I tried exporting from the main sequence that I did the editing in (not the nest like before) and had the same problem.

Just a few min ago I went into the project and copied the sequence that I am trying to export and then pasted it into a new project.  I am rendering the files right now and I am going to try to export it from this new project as soon as the rendering is done.

Thanks for the help...

Phil

• 9. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                          pebalsamo Level 2

Well my first attempt in the new project did not work.  Unfortunately I had not switched it to Not Restart yet.  I was sitting right next to to the computer when it restarted.   I checked the system log and there were no errors.

I have switched the comp to not restart now and I am trying it again.  We will see if I get the BSOD.  If/When this does not work this time, my next step is going to be to transfer everything over to an extrenal drive and then onto another computer and see if that comp will export the file.

Phil

• 10. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

This looks like a hardware problem. PSU, cooling or failing components are likely candidates.

In the second part of this link are some suggestions to get help with hardware problems, specifically the links to Speedfan or HWMonitor:

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 11. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                              pebalsamo Level 2

Thanks Harm, I will check it out.  I was thinking that it may have been a over heating problem at first because it was running at night, and my edit computer is on the second floor and the AC shuts off after 5:30.  But since it did it during the day I started to think that it could not have been, but I guess it could be a problem with the PC causing it to over heat.  AME is still running (1hr and 24 min into it) but if it fails again I will try and do some checking...  Espically if it works on another PC.

Thanks

Phil

• 12. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                                pebalsamo Level 2

OK, well I just got the BSOD.  I am attaching the photo of the screen if that helps anyone that is smarter than me (not hard to do).

I will download speedfan next week.  I have quite a bit going on here today and then I will be out of the office on a shoot for the rest of the week...

Thanks again to everyone for the help...

Phil

• 13. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                                  pebalsamo Level 2

OK, I put all the files on another computer and it ended up with the same results.  It crashed after about 4 hours of encoding.  I just noticed yesterday that both computers have a thermometer on the front of them for the HD's and Processor, while I was still at my office I kept checking it and it was running at 51*c, or course I was not there when it crashed so I have no idea if it got to hot.  Next week after I get back in my office I am going to try to export it as a MPEG 2 Blu Ray and see if for any reason that makes a difference.  I will also try running speedfan and see what it comes up with...

Thanks

Phil

• 14. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Definitely a hardware problem. Look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284

Memory, PSU, temperatures? Dunno without further info. Maybe you can give screenshots of both Speedfan and HWMonitor. Both when idle and under full load. Maybe use Prime95 for load testing.

• 15. Re: AME Shuts Down when exporting H.264 Blu Ray
                                      pebalsamo Level 2

So this morning I tried to export the video as a MPEG 2 Blu Ray and it worked just fine.  Any ideas why this would work and H.264 would not?

Thanks for all the help...

Phil