16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2008 8:02 PM by Newsgroup_User

Keyword Generator

Me_PLC Level 1
      Can anyone recommend a decent free keyword generator? Online or download is fine.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Keyword Generator
          Level 7
          Why bother? Keyword metas are ignored by the major search engines, and they
          should be.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Me_PLC" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ga84gk$op3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Can anyone recommend a decent free keyword generator? Online or download
          > is fine.
          >
          > Thanks

• 2. Re: Keyword Generator
            Dai Bando Level 1
            Ah, but are you talking about generating keywords to be used in SEO - keywords that are on a web page, or are you talking about what Murray is talking about. They are not one and the same.

From your question, I suspect you are looking for a generator that will run through a web page and generate a bunch of keywords that it can find from the page copy. If this is correct, then Google has a tool that will do that inside its Keyword tool. Instead of searching Google's database for keywords and synonyms, you type in a web site URL you want to check on and the tool will spit out whatever keywords it can find on the URL.

If you are looking for keywords derived from a given keyword phrase, and synonyms, then just use Google's free keyword tool.

If you mean Murray's interpretation, then his answer is correct.

HTH
            • 3. Re: Keyword Generator
              Me_PLC Level 1
              Would you not bother adding keywords at all?

I always thought that the keywords were used by search engines when indexing the page. The keywords give extra weight when determining relevant results to a search query.

Is this not the case? Believe me I would rather not have to do them!
              • 4. Re: Keyword Generator
                Dai Bando Level 1
                Yes, the SEs index the TEXT ON THE PAGE but not the META TAGS in the header code.
                • 5. Re: Keyword Generator
                  Me_PLC Level 1
                  So is that a NO on keywords then?
                  • 6. Keyword Generator
                    Dai Bando Level 1
                    You are not really being too specific in what you are talking about.

Are you talking about keywords in your web pages, or are you talking about keywords in the Keywords Meta Tag?

Be more explicit.
                    • 7. Re: Keyword Generator
                      Level 7

> So is that a NO on keywords then?

my opinion:
                      put in a desc metatag.
                      and put in a keywords, but just a few accurate words.

Don't overload the keywords or try reaching for words that aren't
                      appropriate for the page's content.

The search engines aren't going to give you any added points for the
                      keywords- but they can penalize the page's ranking if they are overdone.

--
                      Alan
                      Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 8. Re: Keyword Generator
                        Me_PLC Level 1
                        Sorry. Keywords in Meta tags.

All my text on the page is live html text, and I use detailed title tags, description tags and headline tags in my meta data.

Im just wondering whether to spend time generating ketywords meta data if its not useful.
                        • 9. Re: Keyword Generator
                          Dai Bando Level 1
                          Murray has already answered that question for you.
                          • 10. Re: Keyword Generator
                            Me_PLC Level 1
                            Thanks everyone. I'm just going to go for a very basic key word for each page along with title and description tags.

Thanks again!
                            • 11. Re: Keyword Generator
                              Level 7
                              .oO(Alan)

>> So is that a NO on keywords then?
                              >
                              >my opinion:
                              >put in a desc metatag.
                              >and put in a keywords, but just a few accurate words.

I second that. A meaningful description is still quite useful, even
                              though it's not important for SEs. But an SE might show it in its
                              results and some browsers use it in their bookmarks.

Keywords are more or less totally useless for SEs, but don't hurt either
                              and might even be used for site-internal purposes. A little script could
                              be used to spider and classify your pages, for example for a little site
                              search, to generate a tag cloud or such stuff.

>Don't overload the keywords or try reaching for words that aren't
                              >appropriate for the page's content.

ACK

I would say 5 to 10 accurate words are more than enough. Rather too less
                              than too much.

Micha
                              • 12. Re: Keyword Generator
                                Level 7
                                On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:21:00 +0200, Michael Fesser <netizen@gmx.de>
                                wrote:

>Keywords are more or less totally useless for SEs, but don't hurt either
                                >and might even be used for site-internal purposes.

FWIW, I was testing a new design I've been working on. One of the
                                things I tested was the accessibility tester at
                                http://www.cynthiasays.com/

The page failed:

13.2 Provide metadata to add semantic information to pages and sites.

* Rule: 13.2.2 - Documents are required to use META elements, that are
                                defined as required, in Head section.
                                o Failure - Document does not contain a META element with the
                                required name: description or description does not have a 'content'
                                value.
                                required name: keywords or keywords does not have a 'content' value.
                                required name: language or language does not have a 'content' value.

Gary
                                • 13. Re: Keyword Generator
                                  Level 7
                                  .oO(Gary White)

>On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:21:00 +0200, Michael Fesser <netizen@gmx.de>
                                  >wrote:
                                  >
                                  >>Keywords are more or less totally useless for SEs, but don't hurt either
                                  >>and might even be used for site-internal purposes.
                                  >
                                  >FWIW, I was testing a new design I've been working on. One of the
                                  >things I tested was the accessibility tester at
                                  > http://www.cynthiasays.com/
                                  >
                                  >The page failed:
                                  >
                                  >13.2 Provide metadata to add semantic information to pages and sites.
                                  >
                                  >* Rule: 13.2.2 - Documents are required to use META elements, that are
                                  >defined as required, in Head section.
                                  > o Failure - Document does not contain a META element with the
                                  >required name: description or description does not have a 'content'
                                  >value.
                                  >required name: keywords or keywords does not have a 'content' value.
                                  >required name: language or language does not have a 'content' value.

How does this relate to the WAI standard?

http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#tech-use-metadata

Especially requiring a meta element to describe the language is just
                                  stupid IMHO. The 'lang' attribute exists, which is well-defined in the
                                  HTML standard, while the values for meta elements are more or less
                                  undefined and left to the clients.

Micha
                                  • 14. Re: Keyword Generator
                                    Level 7
                                    Cynthia is a ditz.

--
                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                    ==================
                                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                    ==================

"Gary White" <reply@newsgroup.please> wrote in message
                                    news:sa3gc4l70q886h7u5ae8nepih5tsv0bi3e@4ax.com...
                                    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:21:00 +0200, Michael Fesser <netizen@gmx.de>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    >>Keywords are more or less totally useless for SEs, but don't hurt either
                                    >>and might even be used for site-internal purposes.
                                    >
                                    > FWIW, I was testing a new design I've been working on. One of the
                                    > things I tested was the accessibility tester at
                                    > http://www.cynthiasays.com/
                                    >
                                    > The page failed:
                                    >
                                    > 13.2 Provide metadata to add semantic information to pages and sites.
                                    >
                                    > * Rule: 13.2.2 - Documents are required to use META elements, that are
                                    > defined as required, in Head section.
                                    > required name: description or description does not have a 'content'
                                    > value.
                                    > required name: keywords or keywords does not have a 'content' value.
                                    > required name: language or language does not have a 'content' value.
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > Gary

• 15. Re: Keyword Generator
                                      Level 7
                                      On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:16:25 +0200, Michael Fesser <netizen@gmx.de>
                                      wrote:

>How does this relate to the WAI standard?

Dunno. Possibly a limitation of the automated checker, or of the
                                      person/team that programmed the automated checker. Personally, I'm not
                                      losing any sleep over it. I know that an automated accessibility
                                      checker can only suggest things to verify, but that one came as a
                                      surprise.

Gary
                                      • 16. Re: Keyword Generator
                                        Level 7
                                        > Im just wondering whether to spend time generating ketywords meta data if
                                        > its
                                        > not useful.

See
                                        http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769
                                        for advice from Google on how to get your site found, indexed and ranked.

Google does not mention Meta tags and there's no emphasis on keywords (they
                                        receive one brief mention about what not to do with them).

--
                                        Regards

John Waller