2 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 10:51 AM by Mortimer IOU

Can't export to tape - Premiere Pro CS3

zylly

I'm using Vista 64 bit and haven't noticed other problems. The file is not HD.

Export to Tape is grayed out in Premiere and other programs. Should I be able do the export even so, if everything is set up right? I'm going through a Sony DSR-11 to VHS. I set the DSR-11 to record (with no tape in it) as well as the VCR. When I put in a VHS tape with video on it, it shows up on TV, but when I try to come in from Premiere, the screen is blue and shows the time elapsed if I play the blank tape or try to record on it. And nothing gets recorded.

• 1. Re: Can't export to tape - Premiere Pro CS3
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Basically what you are doing is a D-A (Digital to Analog) passthru with your Sony, right? I'm not familiar with that camera, but if the manual does not cover D-A operation, you might try placing a blank tape in the camera. If that has no effect, you might try placing the camera in Play Mode. Different cameras behave differently. That's why I mentioned the manual. It *might* have instructions for doing the passthrough operation, though more often, one is doing an A-D passthrough.

Also, does this camera offer passthrough? Many UK/Euro models have this feature disabled, an a lot of mfgr's are omitting it entirely.

Good luck, and please let us know if you find the exact scheme to do the direct D-A transfer.

Hunt

PS One could record to miniDV tape, and then Play to the VHS recorder. Downside - uses a tape and takes twice as long, but might get you to the VHS in less time than tracking down the exact sequence to do it via passthrough.

• 2. Re: Can't export to tape - Premiere Pro CS3
            Mortimer IOU Level 2

Isn't the DSR-11 a tape deck? And does it have a firewire input? If so, have you done this before successfully? Can you capture okay with Pr?