3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 9:48 AM by Ed.Macke

Best MiniDV camcorder

Paul51639 Level 1

I know this has been asked before and I've read the threads but please indulge me as I'm going to buy something new and would love a up to date check against the experienced users here before a final decision, have not fully decided whether to go HD, (if so considering the Canon HV-?) but would also like to consider a good standard def unit, analog to digital passthrough is a big plus to me, would love to hear peoples choices for the best of HD and SD in minidv format

• 1. Re: Best MiniDV camcorder
          Ed.Macke Level 3

I have a Sony DCR-HC48 standard def camcorder and really like it. It does a pretty decent job at video, even in low light, can shoot widescreen, has a built-in lens cover, transfers via iLink/Firewire, and is small enough to put in a fanny pack at DisneyWorld (very important to me, since the best camcorder in the world doesn't do much good sitting on the desk at home!).

I would definitely recommend it, although while I know it will play old analog 8mm videos I think that's the extent of the analog passthru. Not sure what you were looking for exactly (it will also play digital Hi8 tapes, for whatever that's worth)

Prior, I owned a JVC and did not like it. It, too, was small and took decent video, but it had *horrible* smearing (a vertical streak in high contrast situations such as fireworks or a headlight at night - my Disney fireworks are almost unusable). I think that it *did* have the analog passthru, though, but unfortunately I don't remember the model number.

As far as HD, I've been researching the Canon HV-30 and HV-40 and have gotten some positive feedback here on the forums, but I don't have one yet. They do record in HDV, which seems to be the preferred HD format for Premiere (as opposed to AVCHD).

HTH,

Ed

• 2. Re: Best MiniDV camcorder
            VideoJohnny Level 1

I have a Sony DCR-HC48 standard def camcorder and really like it. It does a pretty decent job at video, even in low light, can shoot widescreen, has a built-in lens cover, transfers via iLink/Firewire, and is small enough to put in a fanny pack at DisneyWorld (very important to me, since the best camcorder in the world doesn't do much good sitting on the desk at home!).

I would definitely recommend it, although while I know it will play old analog 8mm videos I think that's the extent of the analog passthru. Not sure what you were looking for exactly (it will also play digital Hi8 tapes, for whatever that's worth)

I also have the DCR-HC48. This camera does not have passthrough. It also cannot play the old 8mm videos. This camera is a miniDV camera only.

I was disappointed that it did not have passthrough. I was replacing my old Sony DCR-HC30 which did have passthrough. That camera cannot take video any longer, but the passthrough still works.

A lot of manufacturers, if not all, are putting most of the best features inthe newer format cameras. It may not be easy fining a miniDV with passthrough.

Maybe Canons or Panasonic miniDVs have that feature.

• 3. Re: Best MiniDV camcorder
              Ed.Macke Level 3

It also cannot play the old 8mm videos.

D'oh!! You are correct! Yeah, a 8mm tape wouldn't even fit. It is my older digital Hi8 Handycam that plays the analog 8mm - sorry, I got them confused.

My recommendation for the DCR-HC48 as a camera still stands, though.