3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2009 6:04 PM by Farrell K

Why Is Premiere Recording Audio During Capture?

Farrell K

I'm trying to capture DV video from an older Sony DCR-TRV17 camcorder.  I have a MacBook Pro with a second Display that has a camera, speakers and mic. 

When I start capturing, Premiere seems to be enabling the Display's own mic and records anything in the room along with audio from the video that it is capturing.  Essentially, it is creating a voiceover.  When I turn the Display mic's volume down in the Mac's settings, Premiere turns it back up during capture. 

With my HDV camera, the Canon HV30, this does not happen.  And I've captured video from it many times.  So, it's only the older Sony camcorder that's doing this. 

Does anyone know why this behavior is happening and how to stop it?

• 1. Re: Why Is Premiere Recording Audio During Capture?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is coming from the PC-side of life, so might not have any bearing. In Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware, check what your Input and Output are set to.

There could also be something with the settings at the system-level, but with a Mac, I will not even hazard a guess.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why Is Premiere Recording Audio During Capture?
            Farrell K Level 1

I looks to me like both the Audio Hardware and System settings are correct.

I wonder if it's a bug with the controller for that camcorder?

• 3. Re: Why Is Premiere Recording Audio During Capture?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

And here I thought it'd be easy.

OK, there was a somewhat similar issue with the camera on a Mac's screen and Video capture. Do not recall if this was prior to the forum change, or not. The title was something about "iSight." I do not recall all of the particulars, but that user's Mac would always default to the little Web-cam, when trying to capture from the video camera. I *believe* that there was resolution, but do not remember what they might have been. In just a bit, the Mac-centric comments got way over my PC-head.

A Search of this forum (maybe CS3?) might yield a link. I'll also look for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Here's one, but not the one that I recall, with plenty of replies.

[Edit 2] Here's the other one.