6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 2:32 PM by Panos Zygopoulos

FW Drop shadow problem

Drumz311

I have created a website in FWCS3 and when I put a background behind it (in DWCS3), the drop shadow effects I have do not work with any colors other than white.  Can anyone give some advice?  If I use another color for the background the shading looks terrible, like a grayish color  Please help.

• 1. Re: FW Drop shadow problem
          Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

Hi

If i got this right, you used fireworks to create an image with shadow added to it. You should have in mind that when you do that, you create an image file and dreamweaver cannot see the shadow you added but the whole graphic as an image file.

Now, when you want to use a specific color for background in dreamweaver and place your image, make sure that it has the same background color as the one you apply inside dreamweaver.

If you use a gif file for transparency, make sure to select or diselect the right options from the optimize panel.

If you can, upload the file and let me know how you did. 

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FW Drop shadow problem
            Linda Nicholls Level 4

You need to create your images on a canvas color that matches the background color of your Dreamweaver page. You'll find some ideas for creating page backgrounds, including shadoes, here:

http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/images/gradient_tiles2/index.htm

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FW Drop shadow problem
              no nicknames left

What you need to do is save your images as png files that have transparency...Then the shadow will look right on all colour backgrounds.

This doesnt work in IE and below without a javascript fix.

there are numerous articles and how to's in alpha tranparency and pngs and the web..on of which is here

http://www.komodomedia.com/blog/2007/11/css-png-image-fix-for-ie/m

• 4. Re: FW Drop shadow problem
                Drumz311 Level 1

Thank you so much for the replies!  Panos Zygopoulos I have a question about your response, you say that DW cannot see the drop shadow image I designed in FWCS3, so how can I create a drop shadow in DW?  Do I need to get rid of all of the drop shadow I have in FWCS3 and create it in DW?  Is it possible to do in DW (CSS?)?  As you can tell I am new to FW and DW, so any help is welcome!  What else I am confused about is that when I sliced the FW.png file for DW their was no canvas color.  So how can I match-up the background color when I did not have one.

• 5. Re: FW Drop shadow problem
                  pixlor Level 4

To put your image on a background color, you can either put a colored rectangle behind it or set the canvas color.

To change the canvas color, use the menu Modify > Canvas > Canvas Color, select Custom and click on the color box to set your color. At this point, it's easy to edit the hex color to the value you have in your Dreamweaver code.

• 6. Re: FW Drop shadow problem
                    Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

No, you cannot create shadow inside dreamweaver (not like you do it with FW), but like the others said, the best you can do is to use a png or gif file for transparency.

thanks