4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 7:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Error message I started getting: This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed

jb2sprint

When I opened up my Premiere Elements 7 today, it would not let me open a single file.  It doesn't matter what the file type is, I get that error message every single time.  And these are all files I have worked with in the program before.

I haven't installed any programs since I used Premiere Elements 7 last...

Any idea why this thing is going haywire on me?  It's pretty much useless at this point.

• 1. Re: Error message I started getting: This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is something that often happens, when one installs an NLE onto another OS, especially a later OS on a different computer. The older machine often has CODEC's that the new one lacks. Still, in that case, the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's should install - so one is just missing others.

For it to happen without such a move, *might* indicate that the Registry has become corrupted, especially where the CODEC's are called.

I see that you did not install any new software. Have you had any updates to the OS, either manual, or automatic? Have you run any sort of Registry "cleaner?" Those *could* affect your CODEC's.

First thing that I would do is grab the PE installation disc, and do a Repair Install. The installer *should* see that the CODEC's are missing, and include the ones that ship with PE in a Repair.

I would also download some test files from the Internet, just to check. I'd hate to think that all Assets on your machine have become corrupted. If so, then you probably need to look into a new HDD, and hope that you can get most of your material backed up.

Can you play (and I'd use as many different formats as you have) your AV files on Windows Media Player (WMP)? I'd not bother trying in VLC Player, or MediaPlayer Classic, as they usually have their own CODEC's. WMP relies on the system's CODEC's.

I'd also get a copy of Sherlock the CODEC Detective and G-Spot. Run these, and look at their reports. G-Spot is on the second tab. Be aware that with the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's, Sherlock will often give false positives for broken CODEC's, due to a naming convention in how Adobe registers these. That is common, but it should also tell you if your other CODEC's are OK.

Last, and I am NOT a fan of CODEC "packs," you could try an install of the K-Lite Mega CODEC pack. I'd keep this as a totally last resort though.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error message I started getting: This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed
            Paul_LS Level 4

Try starting Premiere Elements while holding down the LEFT Shift and Ctrl keys, this will flush the plugin cache and preferences. Other thing to try with PE7 is to delete your prefences folder, delete the file "Adobe PRemiere Elements Prefs" C:\documents and settings\[your login name]\adobe\premiere elements\7.0\Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs it will be rebuilt next time you start PE7. Note it is a hidden file on your PC and so you need to go to into Tools>Folder Options>View and select Show hidden files and folders.

• 3. Re: Error message I started getting: This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed
              jb2sprint Level 1

Thank you for the responses.

I tried held down shift and control as well as deleting those prefs - seemed to allow me to open some of them - however I also noticed that some of the videos which are stored on an external hard drive were somehow assigned a different drive letter and Elements wasn't picking up that new drive letter. Once I went back and changed the drive letter to what Elements was showing as the location, I was able to open those as well.  Not sure how to get the program to notice drive letters if they get changed, but things are working again regardless.

Thanks again for the help both of you - really appreciate it.

• 4. Re: Error message I started getting: This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad you have made progress.

Concerning the drive letter issue:

There are two things that you can do easily.

1.) in your OS, assign the old drive letter to the external. Then, when you plug it in, it will always show up, as say F:\. I go backward with my externals, starting at Z:\, and working down the alphabet.

2.) when you have the external plugged in (with newly assigned drive letter by your OS), and Open your Project, PE will ask you for the location of these Assets. You can navigate to your newly assigned drive letter external, and find the folder(s) that contain the files. If they are all in a common folder, PE will locate all of the rest, once you point it to the first. If you have sub-folders, you'll need to navigate to each of these.

If you have told PE to Skip, or Make Offline, and have done a Save (not a Save_As), you will have to manually re-link your assets from the Project Panel.

Personally, I find #1 above to be the best course of action. It is permanent and the drive letter will not change. PE will easily be able to find your Assets.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful