Apologies for the difficulty with support, I will follow up with them. With regards to your problem, I would suggest first trying to delete the license.properties file which is located in ..\ProgramData\Adobe\Flex. If that doesn't work, recreate license.properties in the same location and enter the following into the file “flexbuilder3=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx” (where xxx etc is your serial number). Let me know how that works.
I found the license.properties file and everything looked fine. I followed your instructions, but neither deleting it or creating it manually changed the situation. (Other than when I deleted it, flex no longer told me my trial was over).
I'm not sure if this will help but I think when I installed Flex Builder 3 on Vista I needed to right-click and "Run as Administrator" for the serial number to work. If you aren't prompted for the serial number when you launch flex builder, I think you can go to Help > Manage Flex Licenses... (or somewhere similar) and enter your serial number.
After the serial number works, you shouldn't have to run as administrator any more.
Thankyou for your help, but I tried that as well and it didn't seem to have any impact.
Thankyou everyone. Adobe contacted me directly and apologised for my bad experience. I was put in touch with a support person from Canada that helped me solve my issue in about half an hour. I really feel much better about the whole situation now, at least I know Adobe cares about my problem and is taking steps to improve their offshore tech support. I am told tommorow that I'll receive a call from an individual in management that wants to hear about my experience so he can improve the situation.
In the mean time to anybody reading this I would definatly recomend posting your request here in the forum instead of trying to call the tech support number.
And for anybody that may be experiencing the same problem: Running the application as administrator would not fix the problem, but logging in with the actual administrator account and launching the application did. In order to log in as administrator on vista you must enabled the account with the following command.
1. Run a command shell with "Run as administrator"
net user administrator /active:yes
3. Log out and then log in as administrator
4. Run flex builder
5. log out and then log back into your user account
6. Run a command shell with "Run as administrator"
net user administrator /active:no
8. Run flex builder
This procedure fixed my problem