25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 5:27 PM by boulaflex

CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...

boulaflex

I have posted this message also in the Creative Cow forum, so here's the link in case you want to read the answers there too. All seems to point to my PC not necesserily being powerful enough or having AMD processors, despite being in the specs range.

I'm asking here just in case I get an alternate solution before I "unfortunately" revert to my previous version of CS2...

BTW: Yes, I have installed the recent 9.0.1 update

I get complete crashes for:

-Copying an effect (basic stuff like levels and/or hue/sat and such) and trying to paste it to another layer/shot. (the project is a CS2 version transformed into a CS4 one. After it crashes, I restart the program, copy it again and it works fine. But any other previously "unbothered" effect I try to copy from another layer of file always creates a crash upon a simple copy.

-Trying to make a simple comp (crtl+shift+c then OK)

-Randomly having the infamous "Can't create Gworld" of which no one    ever found why this happens with the additional  buffer error warning (Cannot create "number" X "number" image).

-A few others I can't remember since the program disappears before I  can even know what happened.

-And drumroll : now I've just gotten the laziest/unprofessional AE  error message : "Strange Situation"...

I've tried tons of memory/multiprocessing configurations, and if it's not one bug, it's another...

Anyone had these? Any suggestions? 

Pat

XP Professional 5.1 build 2600 (Service Pack 3)
      AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, 3DNow (2CPUs)
      2GB RAM
      DirectX 9.0c
      Asus NVIDIA EN7800 GTX Video Card

• 1. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Please provide more info. What source footages? What resolution? This pretty much sounds like conforming errors with compressed footage. And please don't make unfounded assumptions about this being bugs. I'm sure there is a clear pattern behind everything, even though everything may seem rather arbitrary at the moment.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
            boulaflex Level 1

Hi again and thanks already for the help!

My footage is regular MiniDV 720x480 captured with Premiere in AVI format shot with the Panasonic AGDVX100 in 24p mode (not advanced).

This is a project that worked fine in my previous version of CS2.

And I am sorry, I tend to get emotional when this sort of things happen. I love Adobe products and promote them all the time, it's just that this time around, I'm a bit surprised by the amount of bizarre things happening with this version.

• 3. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...

Mmh, what DV CoDec do you use? The normal one that comes with Premiere? DV at 24p is a bit unusual. Does the camera perform some odd framerate conversion?

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                yenaphe Level 4

Is OpenGL turned off ? If not can you try this ?

• 5. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                  boulaflex Level 1

I assume I'm working with the typical Premiere DV codec as I don't recall having chosen consciously to alter anything regarding this. (What's the way to know which one I used?)

AE lists my footage like this: separating (lower), 23.976 fps / 3:2 removal. My comps are 29,97 fps. But again, I must stress that this was not a problem in the previous version.

Has something changed in between?

• 6. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                    boulaflex Level 1

I tried disabling the Open GL option, a few times in different option configurations and didn't noticed any change. It kept crashing. Whether that's because of something else in my combinations, I wouldn't know. But I DO try to alter them only one at a time.

My card says it supports Open GL 2.0 btw.

• 7. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...

boulaflex wrote:

Has something changed in between?

MediaCore has, the engine that handles all that stuff, and in your case it seems to have taken a turn for the worse. It's still pretty odd, though, as Premiere and AE share this stuff exactly in order to avoid the problems you describe. I still have no clue as to why it is misbehaving, though... What camera is it, anyway and with what protocol are you capturing in Premiere? Sony? Other?

Mylenium

• 8. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                        boulaflex Level 1

I used the Panasonic AGDVX100 and chose the exact same Device brand and type in the capture settings....

Some people have mentioned that AMD processors react badly to AE4... Always prefered Intel but back when I built my PC, I decided to trust an IT guy I knew.

• 9. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                          boulaflex Level 1

Oh and I forgot to mention another very bad problem:

I used up a few Artbeats files (.mov) for background purposes in another project and AE actually *corrputed* the files, up to the point of not being able to be opened at all on their own by Quicktime after (a warning message says they have been literally corrupted)!  The solution I found the hard way was to do backup copies of the files and put them back in the project's folder. That problem is definitely a first for me in any Adobe product. And as much I've worked on that project, it "only" happened twice. It occured simply upon the opening of the project, i.e. they were working totally fine before closing it.

• 10. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                            Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

After Effects doesn't modify your Quicktime files in any way. If they are corrupted, it's something else.

• 11. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                              boulaflex Level 1

I would certainly hope so... But I have a hard time understanding how they corrupt themselves on their own (or via some other program or process), since they have strictly been used in AE and that the back up copies are still totally fine.

Believe me, I hate to complain, but this is mindboggling!

• 12. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                                but this is mindboggling!

Agreed.

Now,  you may see the following as an irritating, robot-like reply ("all our operators are busy..."). But since we're stuck, I'd really recommend the Adobe technical support document about Troubleshooting AE in XP. Don't take anything in it as obvious. Preferences can misbehave. Third party codecs can misbehave. Third party plug-ins can mishave. Fonts can mishave... you get the idea

• 13. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...

If they corrupt, it's almost always a problem with how they are stored, so we need to know more about your drives. Come to think of it, this could also be the cause of your DV issues. Defective drives or misconfigured Firewire/ RAID/ SATA drivers can easily destroy entire file collections. Likewise, some agreessive virus scanning, file proftection and indexing tools can damage files whenever they look for malware or metadata. Such tools should be given an exception rule to not touch your files at all or at least not touch them, while other programs are using them...

Mylenium

• 14. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                    boulaflex Level 1

Answer to Adolpho:

Ok, I've checked those out. I already did a few, but will try the other ones. Thanks for the link!Answer to Adolfo:

• 15. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                      boulaflex Level 1

Answer to Mylenium:

I have a regular 7200 320 GB Western Digital drive, which is almost like new and defragged.

I don't have an active anti-spyware or virus program. But I do have spybot and other apps that I only make work when I suspect a problem. Norton and other similar products simply do more damage than anything else in my opinion (and slows down pc & are annoying for many other reasons). I'm from the school of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". If it wasn't for the puppet tool, I probably wouldn't have upgraded to CS4 until I had a new computer, which as of now, is still unfortunately not in my plans...

My Artbeat footage collection is a folder that contains about 20 vids. The ones that become corrupted are ONLY the ones I've used in AE. Its backup duplicate folder is on the same drive and remains fine.

And I doubt it could be a problem with my other CS4 issues since that footage is stored on another drive ( Seagate 320gb) which hasn't been corrupted so far in any other project I've done (my main one of which I've been doing work on for at least a year now - The editing process made in in PP2).

• 16. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                        yenaphe Level 4

Could these corruptions comes from the "always write metadata" pref ? If your "last modified" date of your corrupted footage is different than your original footage, then it's certainly due to this option. But this should not corrupt the files.

• 17. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...

Could call, Seb. Definitely worth investigating.

Mylenium

• 18. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                            boulaflex Level 1

Where is that "always write metadata" pref? I could only find the XMP one, which I unchecked anyway.

I've just seen that indeed, the dates have been altered... But how could it corrput them though? Third time now... At least I can use the backups again.

• 19. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                              yenaphe Level 4

The XMP one was the one i was talking about

• 20. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                                boulaflex Level 1

Hi again....

Out of fear, since I have to do this project without loosing time or having bad surprises, I decided to revert to CS2 for this time. BUT now, I'm getting this CAN'T CREATE GWORLD + Out of Memory error message pop up like 12 times in a row only to eventually stop and make the program's menu lists go black and "freak out"... I had it rather sparsely before but since having installed CS4 (and now also uninstalled from my pc) it's just getting crazy with it... AND this before having started working yet! (Aside from importing an old project within the current one, which by the way never caused any harm for me).

So basically, what is this mysterious GWORLD error message? This might actually resolve more than than my share of problems, well I'd wish.

Thanks for al lthe help so far guys, it's just that all of this goes beyond my comprehension, and this ain't newbie talk...!

• 21. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                                  boulaflex Level 1

Just had a thought... As it was recommended upon CS4's installation, I did upgraded my XP with Service Pack 3. Asides from its benefits, could it have anything to do with this?

• 22. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...

Gworld refers to a global buffer in how AE handles property streams. It should not be dependent on any service pack things. I had SP3 and AE7 work without problems on my old machine. However, since you are on an AMD proicessor, anything is possible. Therfore I can only advise to run  Windows Update again, but this time in Custom mode. After the initial check, this will present you with a list of optional installs and may reveal any missing AMD-specific patches or outdated hardware drivers. Also, when you are at that point, try to simply install .NET 1.1, if you haven't already. This straightens out quite a few issues under the hood and may just be enough to sort out your problems as well. Beyond that I don't think there is much more we can do for you at this point. The best solution for you would to find a friend who knows his way around this stuff and have him have a look. I'm sure it#s just something minor that makes your system unstable, but since there are so many places where things can go wrong, it is way beyond what a forum can provide.

Mylenium

• 23. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                                      boulaflex Level 1

Ok. Windows updates have always scared me more than anything else, but since all else failed, I should go that route. You mention adding .NET 1.1. too, but I noticed that they're up to 4.0 or 6.0 now, is there a reason why I should stick to that lower version. Sounds contradictory with my "scared to upgrade attitude", but I want to know, this falling in the "might as well get the latest" category since I'm already "messing" with the whole XP config.

Thanks again for all of your support, much appreciated.

ps: I'll nonethless be creating a restore point in case of disaster.

pps: the only remotely pertinent driver update for my card on the AMD website has a half blank page & dead download link once you click on it. Super. I've sent them an e-mail regarding the matter.

• 24. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                                        boulaflex Level 1

OK. Now it just got a little worst... BUT there might be a ray of hope in understanding what might be at the source of all these Out of Memory & Gworld error messages:

Now, when I open my film project in AE, I don't even have to do any action at all in the timeline for that message to appear and simply never stop popping back after I press ok. But what I'm actually doing for this to happen, is going through my folder in my project panel and looking at files, and once I scroll into a folder that shows an unlinked/missing media file, the message appears instantly as it sees it. It also seems to lag a little too when they arrive into view.

And the reason why these files are missing is not because they are in the project and missing from the timlines, they are simply unsued files (just bad takes I didn't took in my editing) that were moved elshewhere on another drive. I guess I should have saved a PP project without them before I imported into AE, but I can't do that now either since there's previous work on other scenes in there that has been made before it all went beserk... So I don't think I have a choice at keeping it that way. Some are complicated comps that couldn't be saved a simple presets.

Anyhow, does that make more sense to you and is there a new way to turn around this problem if it's actually due to what I'm suspecting to be the problem for now?

ps: I have installed .Net 1.1 before that and it didn't change a thing unfortunately. Even did a very thorough virus scan with the awesome and thorough help of Major Geeks forum.

• 25. Re: CS4: the whole spectrum of crashes...
                                                          boulaflex Level 1

Well after all this time, I'm back.

The only logical thing I can assume working with this GWORLD error message is reducing the size of one's project. I'm working on a feature film and would have wished that all my files were in one project, but it seemed that removing a fair amount of them (completed and rendered scenes) helped in getting the project to breath more. I can't understand why it would happen, since if a scene is left untouched/unused/unbothered, it shouldn't be in the memory or something.

Anyhow, when my AEP goes around 60mb and over, I keep having this error message popping ad infinatum....

So this trick has worked (so far) and I just wanted to let anyone know in case it happened to them.