11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 4:04 PM by 3dcv

Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4

rmv1414 Level 1

In Premiere CS3, I could export the work area portion of the Timeline to a separate AVI and have it autoatically added as a separate clip in the Project Window.  I could then easily add/Edit the Description, Scene, Comment, Log Note, etc.

I do this to break up segments of a large video file to separate, smaller clips with the footage that I need.

However, in CS4, I am unable to do this.  When I try, CS4 automatically launches the Media Encoder in a separate window and does not add the new clip to the Project.  Is there a way to do this similar to CS3 (break up a larger video file into smaller designated clips and have them automatically added to the Project Panel?

rmv1414

• 1. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Short answer: No.

But try this alternate workflow:

1. Set your work area as you would have in CS3.
          2. File>Export>Media
          3. Choose your export settings as appropriate.  Set up a target folder that will contain all of your new clips.
          4. Open the flyout menu of the Export Settings dialog.
          5. Select "Include Source XMP Metadata"
          6. Open the menu again and select "File Info"
          7. Add the appropriate metadata under the "Video" tab.
          8. Click OK to add the sequence to the AME render queue.
          9. Repeat as necessary, adjusting the work area each time.
          10. Go back to the AME and start the queue.
          11. When the batch is finished, open the target folder and import all of the new clips into your project.
          12. Open the Metadata panel - all of your entered info is there.

It's more involved than CS3, but potentially much more powerful.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

Is there a way to do this similar to CS3 (break up a larger video file into smaller designated clips and have them automatically added to the Project Panel?

Why create external files?

An alternative workflow is as follows:
            1. Double-click the large clip in the Project Panel to open it in the Source Monitor
            2. Set an In and Out Point for the first clip
            3. Drag from the Source Monitor to the Project Panel and give the clip a name
            4. In the Source Monitor, set the In and Out Points for the next clip
            5. Go to step 3

Once you have all these instances in the Project Panel you can put them on the timeline the same way you would have if they were separate files. You can provide the metadata as you were before.

At this point you can even use the Project Manager to create physical files from the instances you create using the above method.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
              Emihian Level 1

DONT GET traped! In premiere CS4, It will not export your job.

Anyone of us who have been using Premiere will know that it’s time to do away with it. CS4 export is a waste of time. If your CS4 can export, a simple export of still image will bring up the so call --- and it takes time to get such simple thing as still image?
              The export method is useless, as you will learn in this forum and others. Many are having problem with it. I and writing from experience as i have been using premiere since 1999.

The test of adobe bride was another example but now improved.
              The team should work hard in solving this problem or present another export method for now as they test their new CS4 encoder. 

• 4. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
                Stauffer Studios Level 1

so does that imply that you will export the work area whether you like it or not?  In effect there is no way to export the entire timeline, without having to set the work area to the entire timeline?

• 5. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

so does that imply that you will export the work area whether you like it or not?

Yes.

In effect there is no way to export the entire timeline, without having to set the work area to the entire timeline?

Why is this an issue? Is it really that difficult to double-click the time ruler to set the WAB to the full duration of your sequence?

• 6. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
                    Stauffer Studios Level 1

The issue is one of convenience.  If i am working in a particular area and have my work area set but want to export the entire timeline, i don't want to lose my work area.  Once i double click to export the entire timeline, i now have lost the old settings.  I don't have the option of marker sets, as i do in audition, so i can't easily maintain different areas of interest.  Maybe that would be the ultimate solution.

• 7. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I do this to break up segments of a large video file to separate, smaller clips with the footage that I need.

That method will add another layer of compression to the footage, degrading it's quality.  You'd be better off using Scene Detect during capture to get individual clips, as opposed to one big one.

• 8. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

I guess so. I suppose I don't export portions of a timeline often enough for it to be a major issue for me. When I want to preview render a section of my timeline, I just use Shift+I and Shift+O which I've custom mapped to marking the WAB inpoint and outpoint, respectively. If you combined this with sequence markers to facilitate quick "snapping" to specific points, you could achieve section marking a little more quickly.

• 9. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
                          shooternz Level 6

You can set and reset the export WAB directly in AME.

• 10. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
                            3dcv Level 1

I miss the way CS3 handled the rendering also.

Here is a workaround I use in CS4:

1. Set your in and out on the timeline just as you did in CS3
                            2. Take note of the in point on the time lineinPoint.pngout_Point.png
                            3. Select Export > Media from the File Menu (or use CTRL+M)
                            4. When the Export Setting dialogue box opens you will see that the player position is on the OUT point on your timeline - Click on the Set Out Point icon to set this as the last frame to be included in your export.set_out_point.png
                            5. Next drag the in point marker to the In Point value noted in step 2 above,  or
                                     (even more precise)
                              Click in the time frame indicator and enter (overtype) the In Point value you noted from step 2 above. set_in_point.png
                            6. The play head will move to this location on the timeline. Simply click on the Set In Point icon to lock in your selection.set_in_point_icon.png
                            7. After confirming all of the other settings (Fomat, Preset, Comments, Output Name, and other tabbed choices from the Export Settings), click ok and you will find the clip will be exported from the In Point to the Out Point - just the way you like it.

Hope that works for you!

Message was edited by: 3dcv

• 11. Re: Export Movie/Clips In Premiere CS4
                              3dcv Level 1

Just one more step:

Remember what you named the file and the location, so you can import it back to your panel if that is what you need to do.