8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2012 6:21 PM by rainbowdayz

Share Tab status:  Media not present.  what does this mean?

Movie Maniac Mama

I'm attempting to burn to a disc, the same movie I burned this morning, only I decided to change the scene selection theme.   I did everything the same way as when I created the first one, only this time under the Share tab, the status reads : Media not present.  I think it is supposed to say ready or something like that.

Does anyone have any idea what I've done wrong?  it plays in preview mode just fine.  I need to make 15 of these disks by Tuesday afternoon...I'm getting nervous that I won't make it!

• 1. Re: Share Tab status:  Media not present.  what does this mean?
          Paul_LS Level 4

Sounds like you dont have a DVD in your DVD drive. Cant recall if there is a rescan button to make it check again if a DVD is present.

• 2. Re: Share Tab status:  Media not present.  what does this mean?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

While you are checking the drive for a disc, check the disc, to make sure it has not been written to already. Next, check the brand of media. I strongly recommend Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden brands. Otheres, like Memorex (and now TDK) buy in bulk from the cheapest mfgr. and re-brand. You could easily have 3-4 actual brands in a 100 disc spool from Memorex. Last, check to make sure that you have the right type of media for your drive. If you have a multi-drive, this should not be an issue, but the -R & +R types can be a problem for older drives.

If you find that you do have blank, good quality media, and the type is not an issue, go to your Control Panel>System>CD/DVD Drives (or proper syntax, depending on your OS), and check that the OS is seeing the drive properly, plus also get the # of the firmware. Check the drive mfgr's site for firmware updates.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Share Tab status:  Media not present.  what does this mean?
              rainbowdayz

I hit the same wall as you Movie Manic Mama. About 6 months ago I bought Lightroom. I already have PS CS5. I am making the reception movie for my son's wedding in September 2012. I have other 'movie making' software but decided to keep all the formats compatible so I bought Premiere Elements 10 about a month ago. I also bought a 'how to' book that came with interactive tutorial lessons. After reading that cover to cover and completing all the lessons, I started building my first project. It was for my soon to be daughter-in-law because I wanted her to see what the program would/could do but she didn't know I was doing it.

On February 10, I had tweaked all I was about to and I was ready to burn it to disc. I have a brand new Dell laptop/Windows 7. It includes a burner. I selected 'share' and after several minutes of nothing, I finally saw "Media not Present' next to the Status line. I won't bore you with the details of trying to find the cure. I will tell you this... it is how I found your post here.

The solution: I also have a USB external burner and I decided to bust that out. When I went through the drill again, the create DVD option let me choose the burner. Before that drop down contained only the burner on the laptop. When I selected that burner, the error message went away and I burned it with no further problems.

Aside: I went back to the lessons because I had burned successfully during the learning process. I wanted to see if the computer burner would still let me burn the tutorial stuff again (to rule out a computer/burner problem). I was able to burn that without probelms. But, even though I set my project up exactly like the tutorial, the computer burner found the media for that one but not mine. I know that when I was working on the project, I made a ton of changes in what I was using, where I found it, etc. It was all getting so messy, I started deleting older versions and organizing everything into folders... in otherwords... changing the original locations and all the media got lost in new and improved folders. I had the same issue with Lightroom when I was setting up and orgainizing it. When I made ANY changes to the way Lightroom wanted to sort it out, it was no longer available. Lightroom has a built-in 'find' command but I had no luck with that. I just started over, left the Adobe folders alone and there was no longer a problem.

Based on that thinking, I decided to test my hypothesis by moving the folders where the tutorial lessons were located and then try to burn the lesson tutorial again. And, lo and behold, when I went to share, the status message "Media Not Present' returned. I think what I'm going to do is move my project to an external drive, reinstall PE 10 and start over.

Hope this helps. At the very least, if you have an USB burner, you can come in that back door... the ultimate f-you Bill Gates.

• 4. Re: Share Tab status:  Media not present.  what does this mean?
                nealeh Level 5

rainbowdayz wrote:

I have a brand new Dell laptop/Windows 7. It includes a burner

New computers always have out of date software and probably load a whole load of junk applications at start up. Fortunately Dell are pretty good at keeping their drivers up to date, so check out their web site and look for more recent graphics and sound drivers. Plus firmware updates for the burner. I recall in a recent discussion a comment, possibly by Bill Hunt, that Dell had a bad batch of burners that did get released to the retail market - so you should check that out as well.

rainbowdayz wrote:

The solution: I also have a USB external burner and I decided to bust that out. When I went through the drill again, the create DVD option let me choose the burner.

Yep - a lesson I also learnt (or should that be learned?) a long time ago - never completely trust internal drives. My TSST Corp DVD burner often becomse undetectable but a few boots later it does. Fortunately (oh dear - one of those jinx moments) my Pioneer BD internal burner has so far proved very reliable. My LG External DVD Burner has never once let me down (arrrgh - two jinx moments in one paragraph).

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Share Tab status:  Media not present.  what does this mean?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, it seems that Dell was hit by a bad bunch of multi-drives/burners. Many have received the same, or very similar errors, to what you got. In a few cases, updating the burner's firmware (be sure to read all instructions, and follow them to the letter) cured the issue, but in most, Dell replaced the defective burners.

Good luck, and glad that the external multi-drive/burner worked for you. That does point back to the burner in the Dell.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Share Tab status:  Media not present.  what does this mean?
                    rainbowdayz Level 1

Nealah ~ Oh me, oh my... a blogger with a sense of humor. That makes this process so worth the time and effort. In the process of gum shoeing this deal, I unearth the date on the laptop burner driver. It was somewhere around 2005-2006. That's a 7-year-old child. As with children, all ya got is whatcha got. So this adventure is clearly not over... even if the computer tells me the burner/driver is working fine. All I can think is... in whose opinion is this at all fine? It looks like I'll be doing some time with someone I can't understand in India today <heavy sigh>.

Anyway... it occurred to me, as I was reading your post and Bill's, that I may be assigning my own meaning to the word media (media not present). In PE 10, media appears in a 'fetched' window and the icon is called 'media'. If I want more media, I click the icon that reads 'get media'. Call me silly, but when I read 'media not present' I assumed this was the media the message was referring to. Therefore, the question that now follows: is the 'media' the disc itself in burn mode? One never knows when it comes to 'puter-speak.

From one hereditarially insane blogger to another... thanks for the shout out.

• 7. Re: Share Tab status:  Media not present.  what does this mean?
                      nealeh Level 5

In the Share tab it would be referring to the 'disk media'. In the Project tab it would be referring to missing media files and it would display 'Media Offline' in the monitor window in a multitude of languages.

To test the issue using your internal burner use the 'Burn to Folder' option and then see if you can burn the physical disk using the great ImgBurn. If you can then something is preventing PRE from seeing the burner - this is often packet writing CD utilities such as Nero InCD and Roxio DLA and their ilk.

(And computers can never drive one as insane as the flesh and blood offspring. Mine are now between 17 and 23 and it gets no easier (I'd kinda like to have frozen their ages at 7 to 13 )

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Share Tab status:  Media not present.  what does this mean?
                        rainbowdayz Level 1

Well... she's back... 5 hours of tech support later and $199 poorer. Apparently I needed to include the software protection when I bought this computer 3 months ago. Stupid me assumed that EVERYTHING was included in the guarantee. Just one more way for Dell to extract money. Four of the five hours had to do with incompetent technicians... so incompetent, in fact, that they left me with the blue screen of death and didn't even say goodbye. The technician that fixed my problem (software related) had it up and running from the blue screen in about 30 minutes. Did you know that you can lose the blue screen by starting the computer, leaving it on, disconnecting from the power source, removing the battery, holding the on/off switch down for 20 secs, reinserting the battery and booting up as normal. I was clueless until today.

The burner is now working so, yes, it was a burner software problem. Just thought I would add the epilogue for anyone else who reaches this impasse. Thank you nealeh and Bill. I appreciate your feedback.

Jai ho