1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2009 5:32 AM by Steve Grisetti

Exported once OK, can't export again - 18 hours for 11%?!

digitaltoast

I exported a DVD once - it took, as expected, about 6 hours on a Win XP Home SP3 3Ghz 3.5Gb PC.

Except, I'd stuffed up and accidentally made the menu background into a movie itself.

So, next evening, I set it off again with the corrected menu - but next morning, it had only got to 70%. When I unlocked the PC, for the first time in month, it crashed. So I restarted it, and next evening, I set it off again! But next morning, it had only got to 11% in 10 hours!

When I cancelled it, it wouldn't close, and I had to force a quit, even though it wasn't showing as not responding. I cleared the media cache, tried again, but it was obvious it was going to take literally days.

Here's the silly thing - I fixed my menu problem using a tiny free bit of software called dvdshrink - I just loaded my previous "wrong" exported dvd files, did a screen grab of menu, and replaced the moving menu with the still screenshot. Works a treat, took 10 mins in all. Why the heck does PE have to re-compress the whole thing when old freeware does it by just replacing the section I wanted? No wonder I don't upgrade - don't trust it!

I noticed every time I close it now, even without forcing a quit, it also crashes and wants to send an error report that aslfoundation.dll has malfunctioned. I'll try ANOTHER re-install to fix that, too.

• 1. Re: Exported once OK, can't export again - 18 hours for 11%?!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are some DVD encoding functions that Premiere Elements doesn't do very efficiently. And even 6 hours to encode a DVD is way too many!

So, without knowing much about your source files, it could likely be that one of a number of things are going on:

1) You're using photos in your project that have not been resized to 1000x750 pixels in size. This is the chief cause for sluggish encoding and DVD transcoding crashes.

2) You're using a video source other than miniDV and you haven't optimized or converted your video files for best performance.

3) You're trying to squeeze more than 70 minutes of video on a DVD. A standard DVD holds about 60-70 minutes of video. A dual-layer disc holds about twice that.

4) You lack adequate free, defragmented hard drive space (ideally 30-50 gigabytes for every hour of your video's running time).

5) You haven't maintained or updated your operating system, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.