10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2009 10:31 AM by jkapono RSS

Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages

jkapono Community Member

Is there a way to get the TOC to flow to multiple pages on the fly?

I have a project where the Table of Contents will definitely be multiple pages, but the content will be different per book, so I won't know how many pages the TOC will be until the job is put together at the end.  Since the merge is done programmatically, the best thing would be to setup the text object of the TOC to dynamically flow like it had a variable in it, but since it doesn't have a normal variable, the option to flow the document does not appear.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

J

• 1. Re: Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages
          Petteri_Paananen Community Member

I have no choice to reproduce your case, so I can´t test it, but have you tried it simple way; keep shift button pushed down while you insert your TOC... with normal text it auto flows all text content, flows it to multiple pages and even creates new pages if necessery..

=================================================

Better SWF files from InDesign with eDocBrowser

• 2. Re: Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages
            jkapono Community Member

I tried that, but that must work with a document that already has everything fulfilled when the TOC is added to the document.  Since all of my content is variable, the content will not be in the document uintil I merge the records, so I need the TOC to grow on the fly and build multiple pages once the content merges.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages
              [Jongware] MVP

Make a Book of one document containing the TOC and the other your original document??

Adding and removing pages automatically is a feature of CS4, but I'm seriously wondering if this will work with either auto-generated TOCs, or inside a Book. You will have to try.

Older versions of CS3 do not automatically insert and remove pages.

• 4. Re: Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages
                jkapono Community Member

I am not sure how I would pull that off since this is a merge document that has to go to print, and i don't have a programatic way to merge to documents, then combine them with another document on the fly and send everything to print.  I am using CS3 and it does allow for automatic insert and removal of pages, but there needs to be a variable in the text object for the Dynamic Story Handling option to enable and any variable that is placed in the same text object as the TOC will be overridden when the TOC fulfills, as well as all of the settings that were setup when the variable was in the object ignored.  If there is a way to send one document to the merge and print process in one step with using multiple files, I would love to hear about it.

I really appreciate the input. It has been very helpful in trying different types of solutions to solve my problem.  If anyone has any other input to add, please let me know...

Thanks

• 5. Re: Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages
                  trianita Community Member

I have had problems with multiple page TOCs before

I had my TOC set up as a master page spread with linked texted boxes

Up dating with only one text frame (ie toc page) there is no problem

But when TOC runs across two - there is

Solution was to delete the second frame - update the toc and then create a new text frame lnked to the first

the content should flow nicely into it

Hope it helps

• 6. Re: Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages
                    jkapono Community Member

I ended up using a product called InFlow from EmSoftware.  The solution offers a plugin to InDesign that builds pages on the fly when there is overset text.  The setup is pretty minimual and it seems easy to use.  The only drawback that the plugin MAY have is that it does not remove the pages it built if the pages are not needed from record to record.  I could not test this myself since my test data did not test more then one record, but when I turned my proof set off, the pages that were built were still on screen.  It does seem to work well for what we are looking to do, so if anyone is looking for something that will build pages on the fly in situations where the "Dynamic Story Handling" is not available, I would suggest looking into this.

• 7. Re: Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages
                      peter at knowhowpro Community Member

I'm curious to know if you had compared InFlow with the Autoflow plug-in from-tools.com? If so, what made InFlow more suitable to your need?

Thanks,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 8. Re: Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages
                        jkapono Community Member

I can't seem to find the site you are referring, but I have not tried any other options.  I would be willing to look into it, jsut to see what my option are.

• 9. Re: Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages
                          peter at knowhowpro Community Member

in-tools.com is home page of the site.

If you click on the Auto-Flow Info button, in the InDesign tools column, you'll go to this link:

http://www.in-tools.com/plugin.php?p=2

HTH

If you have specific questions about the product(s), drop them a note; they're great at answering, but they are in the Middle-East time zone, so you may need to wait for the sun to go around the globe<G>.

• 10. Re: Table of Contents flowing to multiple pages
                            jkapono Community Member

Wow, that looks like it would be just what I was looking for.  Sadly, we ended up going with a completely different approach to fulfill the project that I was originally looking to use for this functionality.  I will keep this information on hand though, since we seem to run into situations like these often.  THanks for the help and advice.