4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 2:27 PM by little*big*man

Need Help With Picking Drawing Tablet

flying_phoenix

Hello I'm currently pursuing to become and animator. I far prefer working with animation software then frame by frame pictures by camera, however I far prefer using a pencil than a keyboard and mouse. This is why I want to use a tablet.

I'm planning to use it with Flash CS4 and Toon Boom.

Description of my drawing style:

- I use my wrists as opposed to my entire arm when drawing

- My drawings are usually small (like 3 x 5)

- I like putting in little details

However I'm curious to as of which I should buy:

- What are good brands?

- Does it have to be Wacom?

- What would be the best under my description?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT - Will this do the job?

• 1. Re: Need Help With Picking Drawing Tablet
          jendehaan Level 4

It doesn't have to be Wacom, but Wacom are high quality and reputable in the tablet market - which counts. You are pretty much guaranteed that they'll work with the widest number of programs that support tilt/pressure. Remember that the tablet maker has to support APIs that software uses to understand the tilt and pressure sensitivity. If your tablet doesn't support/use those standards, it may not work with software you want it to.  I'm not sure if the one below supports those APIs - I hope someone else here may know  (or perhaps a Google search will turn up something).  As for size, a smaller one (such as the 6x8) would be fine for what you describe.  The smallest ones can feel awkward for regular use, but it's doable if you have a tight budget (and way better than the mouse).

Good luck!  Drawing with a tablet makes a world of difference, and it's a great investment. I've had five wacoms over the years and all of them have been working perfectly for a long time (and three of those came used).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need Help With Picking Drawing Tablet
            flying_phoenix Level 1

Thanks. So what about the Tablet that I linked?

Also as for Wacom which one should I get? An Intuos? Grapphire? Bamboo? Or it doesn't matter?

• 3. Re: Need Help With Picking Drawing Tablet
              jendehaan Level 4

Like I said above, I'm not sure about the tablet you linked - I haven't used it personally and haven't heard about it, so I couldn't vouch for it's support or quality. It does have decent dimensions, though, being 6x8.

• 4. Re: Need Help With Picking Drawing Tablet
                little*big*man

Try the Intuos 3 - I have 2 and like them better than the newest version 4 models.  They should be more affordable as folks get interested in the 4.

Sean

1 person found this helpful