1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2009 12:23 PM by Mylenium

Avid AAF to AE CS4

Slugman88

I am trying to import an HDV sequence from Avid 3.5 into After Effects CS4. The programs are on the same machine. I am running Windows Vista 64bit.

The media was imported into Avid as HDV 1080i MXF
      Avid Project type:  1080i/59.94
      Raster Dimension:   1440x1080

I've tried saving the AAF and transcoding the media in all the MXF codecs available. (DNxHD, XDCAM HD, DVCPro HD, Avid 1:1) 
      However, each time I try importing the AAF file into After Effects I receive this error message...

"After Effects error: File "__.mxf" cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format."

After Effects is supposed to at least support DVCPro HD and XDCAM HD MXF as according to the help file..

"After Effects can import the Op-Atom variety used by Panasonic DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO50, and DVCPRO HD video cameras to record to Panasonic P2 media. After Effects can also import XDCAM HD files in MXF format."

I tried importing and AAF file that had .omf based media files and it worked perfectly. I have the latest update to After Effects installed. (9.0.1.51)

Does After Effects CS4 support Avid .mxf files? (if not, will it soon?)
      Does After Effects CS4 support long GOP media from Avid?

Is there a way to send an HD Avid Sequence to After Effects without Automatic Duck?

• 1. Re: Avid AAF to AE CS4
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If you use the Avid Media Manager to download MXF files, you already may inadvertently lock them when it adds the meta data. I've never really heard of any of this working, either, the two companies I know that use P2 always use the Panasonic tool. It's really more Avid's fault, they just never can leave anything alone...

Mylenium