6 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 7:15 PM by GranburyTeach

Lightspeed Systems Security Agent

GranburyTeach

Has anyone tried to use CS4 while a Lightspeed Systems Security Agent is installed on their computer?

Still experiencing problems with freeze ups and other computer hardware problems and I'm convinced the school's security is at least part of the problem.

Resource issues are also a likely culprit.

2g RAM

50g on one network drive for storage

and maybe 25g for storage on the computer's C drive.

Thoughts, suggestions, reasons not to throw the computer under my SUV?

• 1. Re: Lightspeed Systems Security Agent
          the_wine_snob Level 9

To answer your first question: no

Now for the second part. What sort of problems are you experiencing? Also, am I correct that you only have a C:\ and then a networked storage drive? The free space on each seems very light for NLE work. How is the networked drive being used? Are there more HDD's that were just not mentioned? Since I'm having a really bad "reading comprehension day," be gentle if I missed some important info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Lightspeed Systems Security Agent
            GranburyTeach Level 1

OK. Forgive me for not including more....and I sincerely hope this isn't information overload...but I thought the more info the better….

Some Background…

We have 8 Computer/Editors each with CS4.

We use one particular computer for the CS4 for daily morning announcements, it’s used for only that during only one class period a day.

We import directly from the camcorder (Panasonic PV-GS200) on a Firewire to the computer (tapeless) and then edit on CS4.

We then export the finished video timeline to a ½” tape to be played on our Channel One system (school wide)

Although, the computer has 3 IEEE ports, we have to disconnect the Firewire from the camcorder and plug it into the VCR b/c otherwise the computer won’t “see” both the camcorder and the VCR if they are both plugged in..(sometimes it never sees the VCR at all- more on that later)

We occasionally have to move files from editor to editor.  Which is done i.e. by exporting media from Computer A to an Iomega external hard drive then move the file from the Iomega to Computer B)

The computers are Dells – purchased new last year – 2g RAM.

The have local profiles (b/c apparently CS4 will not work with a roaming profile)

On each computer we have access to a network drive (E:)  that has 50g of storage space.  On the E drive we have created and Assets folder that holds a one folder for Audio, one for Video, one for Graphics, and one for Projects.  On the E drive, we also created a "Projects" folder, and one for "Scratch Disk". 

When each student logs in he/she has access to an H drive - which has very limited space (not sure exactly how much.)  It apparently is where Adobe automatically put the file folders "Adobe Media Encoder" (>"4.0" folder >Plug in loading log) a "Premier Pro" folder (w/a "4.0" folder w/"Archived Layouts", "Layouts", "Styles" folders) and a "Resource Central" folder (w/ "4.0" folder w/ ResourceCentral.db)

If the students are logged in under their settings – they can’t “right click” anything and can’t call up the Task Manager.  Because of problems, I generally log in under my settings so I can at least get to the Task Manager.

When we open a new project...we go to settings - and under Scratch Disks tab>

Captured Video = Video Folder on E drive,

Captured Audio = Audio folder on E drive,

Video & Audio Previews is set to Scratch Disk folder on E drive.

Under projects location we set it to Projects folder on the E drive.

****However, every time we try to create a project we get a warning that says

"The Scratch Disks are write protected or unavailable.  To open this project, the scratch disks will be set to your My Documents folder. Would you like to continue?"

We hit ok and go on….

The problems vary from one end of the spectrum to the other……nothing seems to be a constant factor.

Often the software freezes, cursor will move, but nothing else – there does NOT seem to be any specific thing being done on the software that sets it off.

Many times the computer will not see the camcorder when IEEE is plugged into it.

The computer will also freeze up when open the drives to move asset files from the external drive to the Networks E drive.

After recording the announcement into the computer and editing it….we often have a very difficult time getting the computer to recognize the VCR.  We’ve tried different cables, different IEEE ports, even different VCRs, restarted the computer, turned the VCR off and on…..no luck.

Many times when we can not get the computer to respond, or even the Task Manager to shut down the computer, we do a hard shutdown.  When we do we often get the warning window -  “tfswctrl.exe not responding, click to end program”

I’m by no means a computer genius but it sounds like to me (and at least one person in our technology department) that we don’t have enough of RAM, HDD space, or both.

The fact that our files are spread out on 2 network drives and the computer's C drive, does not sound like a good thing to me - but maybe it should still work.

If it helps I can list other programs loaded on the computer, but generally we try not to open anything else while working on the announcements.

Any questions, answers, suggestions, “Hey stupid, this is what’s wrong” statements are all welcome!

Thanks for any and all help.

• 3. Re: Lightspeed Systems Security Agent
              TL2121 Level 1

Maybe it's just me, but this is TMI (Info overload)

I don't have any experience with Lightspeed Security

"The Scratch Disks are write protected or unavailable.  To open this project, the scratch disks will be set to your My Documents folder. Would you like to continue?"

We hit ok and go on….

OK I wouldn't do this- from my experience Premiere Pro dosen't function fully on a network if you're not logged on as an admin. I've had times in the past where I wasn't logged on as admin and Premiere Pro would give me messages like yours when I tried to render the timeline- i.e "you don't have access to these drives, so premiere can't render the footage"

So even though IT won't like it- your going to have to tell them you need full privileges to the CPU and Network. Don't have scratch disks on your

"my documents folder" this will slow performance- your scratch disks should be on a seperate harddrive- and your media files should be on another harddrive- don't save scratch disks to your local C drive this slows performance

The other thing is tell us what processor you have- you know system specs

for Premiere Pro CS4 with SD footage your gonna need at least a 1.8+ GHZ Dual Core and for HD you need a Quad core processor

and 2GB of Ram is the minimum you can get away with now in Premiere- your next upgrade should be to 4GB of Ram

or preferably upgrade your OS to 64 bit Vista and get 8GB of Ram

take a look at the Premiere Pro CS4 system requirements

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

As for the firewire issue- try only plugging in one device at a time- I know that's how I've done it- if  you need both plugged in at the same time- that will be an issue I'm not sure I can help you with.

Hope any of this helps

• 4. Re: Lightspeed Systems Security Agent
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I agree with your statements about administrator rights and disks. With regard to:

As for the firewire issue- try only plugging in one device at a time- I know that's how I've done it- if  you need both plugged in at the same time- that will be an issue I'm not sure I can help you with.

it is my experience that Adobe takes control of the first found firewire connection and does not release it until PR is closed down. There does not seem to be any intelligence to discover another firewire connection and allowing to switch from one to another. AFAIK it requires a restart of PR to accomplish that.

• 5. Re: Lightspeed Systems Security Agent
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

On each computer we have access to a network drive (E:)  that has 50g of storage space.

Use this only for the transfer of files.  Keep all project files, scratch disks, media assets, etc. only on local drives.

If the students are logged in under their settings

Anyone using Premiere Pro should be logged on as an Administrator.

• 6. Re: Lightspeed Systems Security Agent
                    GranburyTeach Level 1

I knew it was a lot of info - sorry - but it has helped b/c different people have commented on different things....

I guess I am hoping that if I break it down piece by piece it may help.

On that note...

Let me start with what you mentioned about the scratch disk....

***I don't understand why if we can put assets and project files on the E drive - CS4 thinks we aren't allowed to put scratch disk info.

I don't want the scratch disk on my documents folder but I haven't been able to figure out why CS4 does that.

As for system info....

We shoot SD right now.....and the editors have, I believe, a 2g dual core processor (I'll have to check when I get back to the lab)

I completely agree we don't have enough resources.  I believe the powers that be looked at the minimum specs and bought only that.

It's also good to know that the firewire issue is what I believed....one at a time - not a setting I missed a setting on the software to move from one to another.....