6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 9:39 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

AE Crashes on Export to QT

Video100

After Effects Production Premium CS3 on Windows Vista. AE Worked great for about 10 Projects then on Export to Quick Time started crashing.

1. Question AE Export to QT Movie

-(Default Settings) Crashes half way thru Export to QT  get a Error  0 : : 42

AE worked great after about 10 Exports to QT it started Crashing, its worked great for months till now???????

Any Idea's please tell me I'm Stumped.

Thanks

Joe

• 1. Re: AE Crashes on Export to QT
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Are you using the Render Queue to export (ie, "Add to Render Queue", "Make Movie" or drag the Comp from the project panel)? From the description, it sounds like you're using the Quicktime export component in File > Export?

• 2. Re: AE Crashes on Export to QT
            Video100 Level 1

Hi Thanks

I'm using

1. File Panel

2. Export

3. Export to Quicktime movie use default render setting fro QT----Render 10 just fine now Crashes after about 30 seconds get an error 0:: 42

-Should I use Render only ---What Setting for Best Quality? I'm inporting these into Avid Media Composer for Editing ?

-Final output is for DVD and BROADCAST Television

--What are BEST Quality "Render Settings": and format--?????-it defaults on AVI----not qood quality.

Thanks a lot

• 3. Re: AE Crashes on Export to QT

Yes, using File > Export in AE is not always a good way to export a video file... I know... I know

There are exceptions - you will see there's a divider in the export options list. The section above the divider includes very nice exchange/integration export options (exporting a project for Flash authoring, or a project for Premiere Pro, etc) that are actually great and do not produce plain video files as we usually think of them. The section below the divider is a list of "guest artists" to export video files. Not a good idea in most cases.

You want to add your Comp to the Render Queue by using the "Make movie" (ie, add currently active Comp to the RQ) or "Add to Render Queue" (for any selected Comp in the Project panel). You can also just drag your comp from the project panel to the RQ.

If you're going to Avid Media Composer then you probably want to pick OMF (Windows only) in the format drop-down menu, inside the Output Module section of the Render Queue. And set the format options (there's such a button for any format) to 1:1 encoding, ie no compression. Another possibility is downloading from the Avid web site the Avid codecs for AVI or Quicktime (if you google Avid + codecs you should end up in the right place) and use either AVI or Quicktime, as long as you're using the codec that's right for your project.

Exporting a lossless Quicktime or AVI file should also give excellent quality (the lossless template is the default on Mac, don't have the Win version in front of me now), but it will take more time to import as the Avid system transcodes the file to its' native format/codec.

I think it's very important that you familiarize yourself with the Render Queue, and the settings in Output Module and Render Settings.

All of this is covered very, very well in the AE Help section called Rendering and exporting.

• 4. Re: AE Crashes on Export to QT
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Adolfo Rozenfeld wrote:

If you're going to Avid Media Composer then you probably want to pick OMF (Windows only) in the format drop-down menu, inside the Output Module section of the Render Queue.

Oh no, please don't. The effective gain in production value is zero. All you ever should use for this are the Avid CoDecs set to the exact compression method used in your project. Still, even those are prone to any number of user errors, so if you are uncertain, use a conventional Quicktime movie before getting yourself into hairy guesswork as to why your OMF or Avid CoDec imports go wrong.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: AE Crashes on Export to QT
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Video104 wrote:

3. Export to Quicktime movie use default render setting fro QT----Render 10 just fine now Crashes after about 30 seconds get an error 0:: 42

Well, what are your composition settings? Did you recently update Quicktime/ iTunes? Did your Avid require the installation of a specific patch or QT component? Did you have to re-install the Avid after a crash? To what drives are you rendering? Network? Local? LANshare? Unity? What version of MC? Ardenaline? Nitris? Software-only? Do the QT references play fine in QT player? Could be any number of things from missing media to bads installs...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: AE Crashes on Export to QT

Still, the File > Export > Quicktime path should be avoided. Not that it should crash, of course, but it's not the correct way to render a Quicktime file from After Effects.