4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 4:04 PM by the_wine_snob

Video Sample Size Question That Ended Up in Adobe Encore Section

A.T. Romano Level 7

Within the last few hours, I posted a topic on What is meant by "Video Sample Size = 24 bit". I was sure that I posted this topic in the Premiere Elements Forum; however, when I went back to look for responses just now, I found my topic in the Adobe Encore section. I am not sure if that was because:

a. my error

b. an editorial decision that the question belonged with Adobe Encore and not Premiere Elements

I am a Premiere Elements user, posting what I believed to be related to my Premiere Elements video (although technically Premiere Elements never did support XVID well if at all.

Here is a copy of that post that ended up in the Adobe Encore section:

In the video properties for a XVID file you can see "Video Sample Size 24 bit" included with bitrate, frame size, but "file size in MB or GB" omitted.

What is this Video Sample Size? Is it the same as "bit depth, also known as color depth" that relates to the number of bits used to represent the color of a single pixel in an image?

I know how to calculate/estimate the file size of a single image from bit depth information such as 12 bit, 24 bit and frame size, but can you calculate the file size of a video from it frame size, bit depth? Question is based on Video Sample Size really being equal to bit depth.

• 1. Re: Video Sample Size Question That Ended Up in Adobe Encore Section
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          What is this Video Sample Size? Is it the same as "bit depth, also known as color depth" that relates to the number of bits used to represent the color of a single pixel in an image?

In this usage, basically yes. It's 8-bit color depth x 3 channels - RGB. Add an Alpha Channel, and you'll get 32-bit.

As for Xvid CODEC files, you will always be better served, if you convert to DV-AVI Type II 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, outside of PE (or PrPro, for that matter). Even if PE can work with the Xvid CODEC (must be installed), the internal conversion will be to DV-AVI Type II. This slows down PE greatly, so it's a lot easier to edit a converted file.

Also, Xvid, and its commercial cousin, DivX, are heavily compressed CODEC's designed for the delivery of streaming media. They are not meant to be edited. I get handed a few of these, from time to time, and always do the conversion outside of Premiere.

The three biggest problems, when working with these in an unconverted state are:

1.) Audio only - no Video

2.) Video only - no Audio

3.) major OOS (Out Of Sync) issues, and the syn will often drift, making re-alignment difficult.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Video Sample Size Question That Ended Up in Adobe Encore Section
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I was sure that I posted this topic in the Premiere Elements Forum; however, when I went back to look for responses just now, I found my topic in the Adobe Encore section. I am not sure if that was because:

a. my error

b. an editorial decision that the question belonged with Adobe Encore and not Premiere Elements

About the same thing happened to me today. I had instructed a poster in the PrPro CS4 forum to post into the Encore forum, on a Menu issue. He did, and I went to reply there - in the Encore forum. The post ended up in the CS4 PrPro forum. I copied it over to the Encore forum, so the thread would make sense. Later, he posted to the Encore forum and his post went to the PrPro CS4 forum. Now, Jeff Bellune is one of the MODs in both fora, but he usually doesn't move things, without a notation, so people can follow along. Just odd.

Also, I've had problems with the displays of many of the replies. They overlap for a while, so that posts are truncated. Later, they seem to sort themselves out. Also, though shown as being logged-in, I've gotten messages, that I could not post. Log-out/log-in and all has been fine for a while. Then it happens again. Have not seen the server go down today, like many in the past, but things just seem wonky.

Maybe it's me, or the phases of the Moon?

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Video Sample Size Question That Ended Up in Adobe Encore Section
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks for the reply. The question was based more on theory whether or not you could estimate file size for an XVID file just from its frame size and video sample size (assumed = bit depth). I think that the answer is no, but just wanted to make sure that I was not overlooking anything fundamental.

As for importing or editing/exporting XVID into Premiere Elements 7 and 4, forget it! I have installed two options for an XVID codec and still cannot import a XVID file into either Premiere Elements 4 or 7 (that old "format or codec error" message pops up).However, I can play the file in CyberLink Power DVD, Windows XP Professional. Then I got the bright idea to try to export a Premiere Elements 4 and 7 Timeline DV AVI (about 33 seconds) to XVID (with supposed XVID codec installed) via File Menu/Export/Movie with settings for Microsoft AVI, using the XVID MPEG4 codec. The Rendering Dialog opens, but there is never any indication that rendering is occurring or will ever. I have not spent too much time with XVID to DVID, but what I have done so far is unsuccessful.

Thanks for your experiences with XVID and taking the time to respond.

• 4. Re: Video Sample Size Question That Ended Up in Adobe Encore Section
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I have done almost nothing with Xvid, but do a fair amount of streaming media with the DivX CODEC and their encoder. Xvid is the open source version of DivX, so free. The full DivX package is about US$40, IIRC, and has worked well with DV-AVI files that I Export, usually from PrPro, but they're the exact same as PE's. To date, all have played fine for the clients, with no complaints. I've also done a few MPEG Exports, that were encoded in DivX with good results, though it's really hard to tell with small frame sizes in a streaming media environment.

As you have found, various players will "play" the Xvid and DivX files well, so long as the CODEC is installed. I've only tried a very few with an Import to Premiere, and learned early on, that no flavor of Pr worked well with any verion of either CODEC on my machines.

I'll also be honest that I do not know the compression ratio for DivX (assume that Xvid would be very similar). I'll check a few references that I have, as one might make mention of it, at least an approximation. I think that that would be the last argument in your equation.

Good luck,

Hunt