6 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 7:17 AM by the_wine_snob

importing still image ; color problem.

daniel_inho

I imported a still image, and the color has been reversed!

I tried jpg, gif, bmp and all the same.

I attached a screen cap, Could somebody help me please?

Attached files are;

1. original image file

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgrkqxmn_1d7ns69fw

2. screen capture of premiere cs4 after importing a still image in a sequence.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgrkqxmn_3d9q3gcfr

3. sequence setting screen capture.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgrkqxmn_5dkg2z86s

Running Environment is as following;

1. OS : Windows XP (with Service Pack 3).

2. Codec : No additional codecs installed

3. S/W Ver : Premiere CS4 english version.

4. Computer : Dell vostro 220

5. CPU & Memory : E5200, 2G

6. Graphic card : Intel GMA X4500HD (G45/G43 Express chipset)

• 1. Re: importing still image ; color problem.
          Keith_Andrews Level 1

Nice work posting the screen caps!  That certainly is the right way to go about getting help here on the forums.  One vital bit of information is missing from your posting and the screen caps though, and that is what color space the images are saved in.  Also, I was unsure as to whether these were actual still images created with a point and shoot camera, or just freeze frame still images grabbed from moving video.

If they are still images taken with a point and shoot camera then make sure the images are saved in the RGB color space for maximum compatibility and not something like CMYK, or Index color spaces.

Not sure if this is the correct solution to your problem, but its a start, and has been the number one reason I have had problems in the past importing still images into Premiere.  Good luck!

• 2. Re: importing still image ; color problem.
            daniel_inho Level 1

I changed the image to RGB color space, but it didn't help.

Could anybody give me another hint?

• 3. Re: importing still image ; color problem.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

When you open the still in PS, does it show the mode as RGB 8 bits/channel? Does it display correctly? If so, use Save as and save it under a different name, import this image into PR. Does it now work correctly?

• 4. Re: importing still image ; color problem.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

While following Harm's suggestion for your test, I'd Save_As [filename]_01.PSD. Import the .PSD as "Footage" into PrPro, and see if this makes a difference. The image should also be better for it, as there will be no JPEG compression, or re-compression if your source was JPEG to begin with.

If you have not done so already, I'd keep the size in pixels to very little more than your Project Preset, say 720x480 if NTSC 4:3 SD Project*. If you need to pan on the zoomed out image, re-size to allow for that, but not much more. Sometimes large images can cause problems, but not normally what we're all seeing.

Good luck,

Hunt

* you probably listed your Preset, but the forum won't allow me to scroll back, when replying to Harm's suggestion - just use what you know that you have. My NTSC 4:3 SD was only for example.

• 5. Re: importing still image ; color problem.
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill hit a good point in post #4. The size of your still. Why use 4000 x 3000 in your project? Try resizing it to more manageable dimensions for your sequence settings. Possibly that will resolve your issue.

• 6. Re: importing still image ; color problem.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In previous versions and flavors of Pr, there have been issues with overly large still images. These *usually* manifest themselves as black frames. This inverse behavior is unusual to me. BTW, there is no resolution advantage to using overly large images. The only reason to exceed the frame resolution of your Project is if you need to pan across the image, when zoomed out fully. The smaller images will also tax your entire system less, i.e. more stable and faster editing. With big images, you gain nothing and can loose plenty.

I have also found the re-sizing algorithms in PrPro (have not seen them work in CS4) to be weaker than those in PS. I always re-size to exactly what I need, in PS. I like Bicubic Smooth for most images, but have used the other Bicubic algorithms, depending on the exact image - test the differences and use whichever suits your particular needs.

Good luck,

Hunt