10 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2009 7:10 AM by dmtetard RSS

How to display a page at 100% size?

jedikalimero Community Member

When I put the zoom at 100%, the page appears much smaller than real. My monitor is a 24" 1920x1200 pixels with 0.27 mm pixel size (that is 94 dpi)

I suppose there has to be some way to tell illustrator my screen has 94 dpi for it to display pages at the correct size, but I can't locate it.

In Adobe Photoshop this option is at Preferences/Units and Rulers but where is in Illustrator?

• 1. Re: How to display a page at 100% size?
          JayJhabrix Community Member

jedikalimero wrote:

In Adobe Photoshop this option is at Preferences/Units and Rulers but where is in Illustrator?

I think you have that wrong... all it's doing is telling PS what to set the default resolution of a new document to – xxx ppi for print and yy ppi for screen.

• 2. Re: How to display a page at 100% size?
            Mylenium CommunityMVP

JayJhabrix wrote:

I think you have that wrong...

Exactly. To elaborate: Even if you could tell your app your monitor resolution and raster density, it still has no knowledge about how a pixel is displayed on screen in realworld dimensions, because it does not know

a) how large a color triplet on your CRT or LCD screen is - on cheap monitors those are larger and less densly spaced than on better quality products

b) how the graphics card's display buffer aligns with the overall screen area and

c) based on b), whether a pixel in your graphic is actually being displayed as a single pixel triplet in the screen matrix

d) how the application UI may crop or skew the usable area

What you want is simply not possible without further intervention. Some very expensive calibratable monitors do offer specific tools and modes to get some of that right, but generally it's one of the things you will have to get used to. The only thing you can do is to hold up a reference sheet on your screen and manually type in zoom values until it halfway matches the realworld item. E.g. on my 24" screens at work, a zoom of about 130% gives a good 1:1 presentation for items done at 300dpi, other densities may require different values.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How to display a page at 100% size?
              OldBob1957 Community Member

The only way I've found in AI is to Display Rulers, adjust the view percentage until 1 inch on the screen ruler equals 1 inch in a real ruler, then note that percentage (I write it on a piece of tape and stick it on the monitor).

@ Jay & Mylenium, he is, essentially, correct about PS. I've attached a PDF document by Ben Willmore that explains (I believe) what he is talking about. You just have to use the Print Size button once everything is set up correctly.

• 4. Re: How to display a page at 100% size?
                JayJhabrix Community Member

OldBob1957 wrote:

@ Jay & Mylenium, he is, essentially, correct about PS. I've attached a PDF document by Ben Willmore that explains (I believe) what he is talking about. You just have to use the Print Size button once everything is set up correctly.

OldBob... i've skimmed thru the article, maybe i'm missing something... but at no stage does it tell you that, "I suppose there has to be some way to tell illustrator my screen has 94 dpi for it to display pages at the correct size, but I can't locate it."

The preferences only give you the option to set the ppi of the new document.If you fiddle around with that, you could end up with a, for argument sake, 225 or 450 ppi for print. Or a 120ppi document for screen/web, which shouldn't really matter too much as long as you keep your actual scale to pixels for the web/screen work.

What the article describes, what you have said and what Mylenium has said as well, is how to adjust the zoom function to get a clear picture of screen-size being equal to print size.

• 5. Re: How to display a page at 100% size?
                  OldBob1957 Community Member

Perhaps the misunderstanding is mine. I thought that was what the OP was asking for.

• 6. Re: How to display a page at 100% size?

When you set in Photoshop "preferences/Units and rulers/Screen resolution" (I'm translating from my spanish menus, so it can be slightly different in english), you are telling the program what is the size of the pixels in your screen. This is enough for the computer to know how to display an image at the real size. If you make a DIN A4 document at 300 dpi in Photoshop, and you have set the mentioned parameter correctly, when you choose "View/Print size", you obtain in your screen a view of the document at the size it is supposed to be printed (so the document will occupy in the screen exactly 29,7 x 21 cm). Note this is different from 100% view (or "Real Pixels"). The fact this parameter is under "Preset resolutions for new documents" is a bit confusing, but it affects how you see any document at Print size, not only the new documents and is totally different from "Print resolution" (but depends on it). You can change the print resolution of any old document at "Image/Image Size..." but you can't change "its" screen resolution because this is a parameter of your computer screen, not of your document.

If you want to obtain the same effect in Microsoft Word, you have to go to "Control Panel/Screen/Configuration/Advanced Options/General/Dots per Inch Configuration" and this parameter will affect Microsoft Word. When you set the zoom lever at 100% in Word, again you will obtain  in your screen a view of the document at the size it is supposed to be printed.

In Corel Draw, the corresponding parameter is at "Tools/Options/tool Box/Zoom Tool/Calibrate rulers...". There you can set the parameter numerically or you can use a set of on screen rulers to calibrate it. So when you set the zoom lever at 100%, again you will obtain in your screen a view of the document at the size it is supposed to be printed.

Notice you're working with vectors in Corel DRaw and Word (well, vector pictograms of letters or as we all know them: fonts) but you are working with bitmaps in Photoshop. That's why the 100% zoom is different in Photoshop than in the other programs (including Illustrator).  and that's also why Photoshop has the Print size option. In the other programs, Print size and 100% would be the same but not in a bitmap program.

If you take a look in your monitor user manual you most likely will find a page of specifications where it tells you the dot size. This parameter can vary in CRT monitors that raster the image on a phosphor screen but is fixed in LCD monitors that have a fixed led matrix. If you don't have the manual or have a CRT monitor you can calculate the parameter by measuring the display size horizontally  (from leftmost to rightmost displayed pixel) and dividing it by your screen resolution (the number of horizontal pixels).

In my User manual it says the dot size is 0.27 mm, that means 94 dpi (25.4 mm in an inch divided by 0.27). Or, in case I would have lost the manual, I would just measured the scren width and obtained 518.5 mm that divided by 1920 pixels horizontal resolution gives a result of 0.27 mm per pixel.

So, my question is ¿Is there some way of setting this parameter in Illustrator?

• 7. Re: How to display a page at 100% size?

I've attached a PDF document by Ben Willmore that explains (I believe) what he is talking about. You just have to use the Print Size button once everything is set up correctly.

That's it! Fortunately Adobe has corrected this issue with the Print size menu option at least from CS3. (and maybe even CS2 but I'm not sure)

• 8. Re: How to display a page at 100% size?
                        Mylenium CommunityMVP

Hey, thanks for your explanation! Something learned today (as a video guy, I rarely do print stuff, so I usually do not care much for these things). Excellent tips in there. Muchas gracias!

Mylenium

• 9. Re: How to display a page at 100% size?

In my monitor, Illustrator shows the document at the correct size when I set the zoom level to 130%. That's because Illustrator wrongly assumes my display has 72 dpi (And this is WRONG for all of your displays too, unless you have a very old low resolution original Mac monitor).

Hence 94 (my display's DPI) / 72 (Illustrator assumption) = 1.30 (The percent I have to apply to see it at the real size).

As I told you, Photoshop, Corel Draw and even Word have means to calculate the correct zoom level if they are correctly informed of the display's dpi (or pixel size) Illustrator is lacking. Surprisingly, Word uses a parameter already built in the Windows control panel that could be used by any program needing it (so we shouldn't have to set it in every program if they were using it).

• 10. Re: How to display a page at 100% size?
                            dmtetard Community Member

How I did it:

1. Measure what percentage equals real 100% (in my case: 137%)

2. Make a javascript: zoomto137procent.js

activeDocument.views[0].zoom = 1.37;

3. Assign a keyboard shortcut to the script. Afaik Illustrator can't assign keyboard shortcuts to scripts (InDesign does!), so I did this with a Quickeys, a tool to assign shortcuts to just about anything (mac).

It's something I found on the web btw, just try a google search for: illustrator zoom 137

(137% is the correct zoom level for the popular apple cinema displays, which is why the number 137 gives good search results)