Level 7
      Hi all,

I've created a new Director survey that attempts to gather information
      on current user base and their expectations going forward. Will say that
      it is not a wish list survey but one that looks deeper at features and
      how they translate into real projects. I have done this by asking users
      to the
      following:
      (1) rank broad feature categories (3D, text, sound.)
      (2) look at a subset of these broad categories and rank them
      (3) give detailed examples of products that employ these features.

I have other sections that look at 'How you use Director', 'Director 11'
      and 'About You'. These are short sections to give context to your
      feature answers. The most detailed section is on the features and how
      they will be used.

This is the most detailed Director survey in history. It will take 25-45
      minutes to complete. The time will depend on how many feature categories
      you choose to focus on and how many examples you provide. I STRONGLY
      encourage you download a PDF version of the survey to review the
      questions and features covered. Once you have put your thoughts
      together, you can then enter your answers online.

I'm using Survey Monkey to manage and collate the survey. Please go to
      the following URL first:
      http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/survey/DirectorRoadmap/
      It gives the survey link, the PDF version, and some general info on the
      survey.

The survey is mainly focused on users that develop products with
      Director. But educators, learners, or anyone else that uses Director in
      some form other than commercial development, can fill it in. So, spread
      the word:)

Last thing for this email is a thanks to all that helped put this
      together. This includes input from Ben (Duck), Noisecrime, and various
      people at Adobe. Special thanks to Thomas McCrystal for his large role
      in formulating and reviewing questions.

Thanks.

regards
      Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
      http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
      http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
      email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 1. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
          Brian Stew Level 2
          Brilliant! Good initiative. Seems like a serious attempt at collecting some real data instead of relying on 'thoughts' and forum ramblings...
          Hope everyone takes their time to answer this survey.
          • 2. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
            Level 7
            mikromidas wrote:

> Brilliant! Good initiative. Seems like a serious attempt at collecting some real data instead of relying on 'thoughts' and forum ramblings...
            > Hope everyone takes their time to answer this survey.

Thanks. Yes, that's my plan and I do hope to collect some meaninful data.

regards
            Dean

• 3. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
              Level 7
              Thanks very much for all your efforts helping put this together! I for one
              appreciate it.

I hope Adobe really put some resources behind the next version and get
              Director back on track.

Best regards

Richard Smith

"Dean Utian" <d.utian@unsw.edu.au> wrote in message
              news:48C5CDEE.3569E69A@unsw.edu.au...
              > Hi all,
              >
              > I've created a new Director survey that attempts to gather information
              > on current user base and their expectations going forward. Will say that
              > it is not a wish list survey but one that looks deeper at features and
              > how they translate into real projects. I have done this by asking users
              > to the
              > following:
              > (1) rank broad feature categories (3D, text, sound.)
              > (2) look at a subset of these broad categories and rank them
              > (3) give detailed examples of products that employ these features.
              >
              > I have other sections that look at 'How you use Director', 'Director 11'
              > and 'About You'. These are short sections to give context to your
              > feature answers. The most detailed section is on the features and how
              > they will be used.
              >
              > This is the most detailed Director survey in history. It will take 25-45
              > minutes to complete. The time will depend on how many feature categories
              > you choose to focus on and how many examples you provide. I STRONGLY
              > encourage you download a PDF version of the survey to review the
              > questions and features covered. Once you have put your thoughts
              > together, you can then enter your answers online.
              >
              > I'm using Survey Monkey to manage and collate the survey. Please go to
              > the following URL first:
              > http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/survey/DirectorRoadmap/
              > It gives the survey link, the PDF version, and some general info on the
              > survey.
              >
              > The survey is mainly focused on users that develop products with
              > Director. But educators, learners, or anyone else that uses Director in
              > some form other than commercial development, can fill it in. So, spread
              > the word:)
              >
              > Last thing for this email is a thanks to all that helped put this
              > together. This includes input from Ben (Duck), Noisecrime, and various
              > people at Adobe. Special thanks to Thomas McCrystal for his large role
              > in formulating and reviewing questions.
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > regards
              > Dean
              >
              > Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
              > http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
              > http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
              > email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au
              >

• 4. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                Level 7
                Thanks Richard,

Currently, 104 have started the survey, but only 75 have completed it to
                section 4. In section 1 and 2, I have 104 responses. In section 3, question 1,
                I have 78. The rest of section 3 has lower responses.

I'd be very happy with 500 responses. But for now, want to get over 200 at
                least. So keep them coming people:)

regards
                Dean

Director Next Roadmap Survey

• 5. Director Next Roadmap Survey
                  ronnickname
                  First they need to start bundling Director Plugin with their Flash Player. The more people that can view Shockwave content the better. That's the first first step. They don't have to even make D12 for all I care. Director is dying because there is a lack of audience over time. The player is not widely distributed.

Flash wins over Director because its common sense to produce things in Flash because there is a greater chance the content will be viewed. Who wants to make Shockwave content when you realize people can't even view the content.
                  It really does NOT matter what they do to Director 12. No matter how cool it is. How easy to use it is. How improved the 3D system is. If the market does not have the plugin for it, it really does not matter.

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                  Thanks very much for all your efforts helping put this together! I for one
                  appreciate it.

I hope Adobe really put some resources behind the next version and get
                  Director back on track.

Best regards

Richard Smith

• 6. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                    Martin Schaefer
                    quote:

Originally posted by: ronnickname
                    Flash wins over Director because its common sense to produce things in Flash because there is a greater chance the content will be viewed.

It's a big misconception, you're typing.
                    By far the most content produced with Adobe Director is for offline (projector).
                    Online Shockwave movies are nice to have, but it's not the major part of business done with Director.

Just because you don't see Director content on a daily basis on the web,
                    it doesn't necessarily mean nobody uses it.

Cheers,
                    Martin
                    • 7. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                      Level 7

While I only have 130 responces so far, results show that the top primary use of
                      Director is:
                      * Desktop Application development.

Second place is tied with:
                      CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Development
                      and
                      3D Games (Shockwave or Desktop)

Third place is:
                      Shockwave Games (non-3D)

In the question of all the types of uses, results are:
                      * Desktop Application development. - 69%
                      * CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Development - 63%

E-Learning, Rapid Prototyping, Shockwave Games (non-3D), Multimedia Presentations
                      , Kiosk Development are all close at around 40%

What is the approximate mix of online (Shockwave) and offline (Projector) work
                      that you do?
                      Projector only - highest at 33.8%
                      Shockwave only - 31.1%
                      or in the following terms:
                      75% or more Projector - 66%
                      50/50 - 11%
                      75% or more Shockwave - 23 %

So, clearly, more Director production is happening offline than online. But
                      clearly teh online market is larger tahn offline, so any growth in Shockwave will
                      be good for Director.

regards
                      Dean

• 8. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                        Level 7
                        Correction from last message
                        What is the approximate mix of online (Shockwave) and offline (Projector) work that
                        you do?
                        Projector only - 33.8%
                        Shockwave only - 3.1% (last message has 31.1%)
                        or in the following terms:
                        75% or more Projector - 66%
                        50/50 - 11%
                        75% or more Shockwave - 23 %

regards
                        Dean

• 9. Director Next Roadmap Survey
                          wgb14 Level 1
                          Just completed the survey. Good attemt and I hope that Adobe will listen. From your data it is clear that the major use of Director is Desktop development. I am not sure why Adobe is trying to market the product as a web 3d creation tool.

Sad to say, becuase of my project requirments, I was forced to to start using VB.NET in combination with Director. Thank god that VB.NET is very similar to Director's Lingo dot syntax and I am learning really fast. But as all the signs show that Director will propably die, I am staring to believe that my current project is the last project that I am doing with director.
                          • 10. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                            Necromanthus Level 2
                            quote:

Originally posted by: wgb14
                            I am not sure why Adobe is trying to market the product as a web 3d creation tool.

Because Web3D is the future.
                            Unfortunately, the SW3D asset is 7 years old ...

• 11. Director Next Roadmap Survey
                              wgb14 Level 1
                              Because Web3D is the future.

IF you mean that Web 3D is the future of the Web itself, I trully don't think so. Web 3D will be a part of the web but defintely not the web iteself. In my opinion the future of web is what Google is trying to make it.A fully networked OS system with us as the clients. Something like the OS of our days but far more complex and mutlitasking. Web 3D applications will be just one of the many complex network applications that we will be able to run in the enviroment. Then, multi--user 3D enviroments like Second-Life has already taken much of the market and more advanced engines are coming out soon (See Star Trek Online). These enviroments allow the creation of 3D worlds, with minimal programming. Do you really believe that Director can compete these? I think unless Adobe realizes that Director belongs to the application development world, and not in the 3D world, the product will die.
                              • 12. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                Necromanthus Level 2
                                1) Web is multiuser by default.
                                2) "multi--user 3D enviroments" do not exist.
                                3) more advanced 3D engines than SW3D are available for many years ago, but that doesn't mean anything
                                because none of them has a popular plugin.
                                4) Director CANNOT belong to the application development world anymore, because Flash (the best and the most popular 2D multimedia environment) became very powerful and has no competitors at all on this market.
                                5) 3D is the future of everything (including standalone apps and even OS).
                                Time will tell ...

You may continue, but I'm going to close this subject.
                                • 13. Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                  wgb14 Level 1
                                  1) Web is multiuser by default.

I never said otherwise

2) "multi--user 3D enviroments" do not exist

By multiuser I mean enviroments that allow simultaneous access and interaction between different users. Is that' the defintion of multi-user enviroments? Or do you perhaps mean something else?

3) Lets assume that Adobe decides to make the flash player one with shockwave. You will propably say that given the popularity of flash shockwave will become a massive hit in the market correct? Well, I don't really think so, People will continoue using second life, Star Trek online (when it will come out) and all the other platforms, over shockwave content simply becuase their degree of user acceptance is already very high (not mentioning of course, the usability-accesibility of the technology itself). In my opinion popularity is not the definitive factor for technology acceptance.

4) I must disagree again, Director has to belong to the application development world as it is for what it was designed intially for. In my opinion Flash is simply a vector animation program that has taken too many fo Director's features over the years to become what it is today. But even now Flash is best known for one thing Flash Web Pages and not 2D application development. I have seen very very few applications developmented in Flash. Most of this market seems to be again dominated by Microsoft and .NET. So it is rather a bold statement to say that Flash has no competitors in the area of 2D application development

5) Even current 3D applications are actually 2D for the user (you view them through a 2D monitor). Real 3D is perhaps not so far in the future, but even then, I believe it will be a choice for certain applications only (e.g., Second Life). Unless Microsoft will come up with revolutionary new principles for Interface design I can not imagien myselef typing/speaking my word documents in a 3D enviroment. Is there really any point to it?

• 14. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                    ronnickname Level 1
                                    Well here is another example of Director being a back burner, brushed under the carpet for Adobe....

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/

Their new developers network doesn't even include Director. You won't find any links to Director's developer section.
                                    I managed to get to the director's section: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/director/
                                    Through clicking on it from the Director's product page. But once you're there. And you decide to say browse You won't be able to find your way back.

Notice the Home / Developer Connection / Director Developer Center / drill down menu at the top.
                                    Click on the Developer Connection and bam. Director is gone. It's not listed in the Developer Resources or Products. Funny huh? Adobe AIR seems to get a little link there.......

Director is a dying product. Adobe is obviously not trying to expand on the market base or developer base for Director.

Online market is growing. Offline market is NOT. Sure. Some may still use it offline, but in the end, its still a dying product.

• 15. Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                      wgb14 Level 1
                                      Adobe has no experience in 3d, never has and never will. All the company's attemtps in the 3d arena failed completely. I think the only reason they upgrated Director is becuase someone in the company thought that it was OK to try again. But, director as a product cannot compete with other far more advanced engines in the market. Even if Adobe decides to integrate Flash with shockwave, failure will be again spectacular. Adobe should focus on what it does best, 2D applications and nothing more. Director should be part of this 2d arena (online or offline). But even in that area Adobe has another product, Flex. Hence, my opinion is that Director is indeed a dying product, my current project is the last one. . I have already started learning VB.NET and i am thinking giving flash a try as well.
                                      • 16. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                        Level 7
                                        ronnickname wrote:

> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/
                                        > Their new developers network doesn't even include Director. You won't find
                                        > any links to Director's developer section.

That may just a usability thing. If you click on the title PRODUCTS, it expands
                                        into an alphabetical list of products. D-H has Director at the top. Director is not
                                        a high profile Adobe product so won't be in the 'main' products list.

You can find your way back by clicking the 'Developer Connection' in the 'Home /
                                        Developer Connection /' breadcrumb area.

> Director is a dying product. Adobe is obviously not trying to expand on the
                                        > market base or developer base for Director.

For many people, Director is a strong and valuable tool that we'd like to see
                                        rejuvenated. The point of my survey is to get the views and expectations of users
                                        and encourage Adobe to respond to what the community wants.

regards
                                        Dean

• 17. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                          Level 7
                                          wgb14 wrote:

> Hence, my opinion is that Director is indeed a dying product and the
                                          > sooner we realise it the better. I have already started learning VB.NET and i
                                          > am thinking to give flash a try as well.

As mentioned in my above post, I think Director still has a lot to offer.

As to the statement that Adobe has no 3D experience so should not consider
                                          developing it... well, Adobe have shown an interest in 3D in other products
                                          (Photoshop, Acrobat)
                                          and
                                          Adobe's pattern of growth in to new markets is through buying other companies and
                                          expanding on what they can do. For example - Adobe bought Aldus (Pagemaker) to get
                                          into the desktop publishing industry. They bought their video tools. Adobe Audition
                                          use to be Cool Edit Pro. Now they have Macromedia products. I see it is only a
                                          matter of time until Adobe have their own 3D modeling tool. It's the only thing
                                          they're missing in the digital media area.

regards
                                          Dean

• 18. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                            Level 7

"wgb14" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                            news:gadcbd$5nv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                            > Just completed the survey. Goot attemt and I hope that Adobe will
                                            > listen. From
                                            > your data it is clear that the major use of Director is Desktop
                                            > development. I
                                            > am not sure why Adobe is trying to market the product as a web 3d
                                            > creation
                                            > tool. I am sorry to say but I have already started using VB.NET in
                                            > combination
                                            > with Director as I am starting to believe that Director will die.
                                            > Thank god
                                            > that VB.NET is very similar to Director Lingo dot syntax and I am
                                            > learnign
                                            > really fast. Unless, Adobe realises that they need to get Director
                                            > back on
                                            > track as a desktop/rich internet application development tool, this
                                            > is the last
                                            > project that I am doing with director.
                                            >

Hi.
                                            Let me be blunt here.

I think you are one of the people that have too limited a view on what
                                            software and more specific: Director, is about.
                                            If you think Adobe will serve YOUR personal needs, then I am sorry for
                                            you.

If other software serves you better, then go ahead and use it. It is
                                            what it is there for.
                                            Director is probably not the "one cure for everything" you somehow
                                            started to believe it was.
                                            How you could possibly arrive there is beyond me to be honest.

Director is "just another product" with it's own strengths and
                                            weaknesses. It can do a lot, but is not a champ in one single field.
                                            It has always been like this, and will probably not change (much).

Instead of complaining about all the things you miss or want in
                                            Director, and posting the same things in here over and over again, why
                                            not be happy with what it is good at, and use it for that? Director is
                                            a general purpose multimedia and programming environment.

It will personally save me (and many other people here) a lot of
                                            irritation of having to read your complaining time and time again.
                                            Go ahead, use Flash. Go ahead, use VB. Go ahead, use C#. Get some
                                            awesome 3-D worldwide accepted online gaming platform. If you really
                                            believe it suits you better, by all means go ahead. You will probably
                                            be complaining about these products in no time.

How could you possibly believe Director should be everything YOU ever
                                            need?

Regards,
                                            Richard.

• 19. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                              Level 7

"necromanthus" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                              news:gadepg$81u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              >
                                              quote:

Originally posted by: wgb14
                                              > I am not sure why Adobe is trying to market the product as a web 3d
                                              > creation
                                              > tool.

>
                                              > Because Web3D is the future.

I disagree.

Richard

• 20. Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                wgb14 Level 1
                                                Hi Dean

Well, I trully hope that you are correct that Director has still a lot to offer. I think the reason that I am starting to loose faith is that I see Director is taking a wrong path (3D shockwave) where things are extremely wild. Unless as you say ADOBE buys some new and revoluationary 3d technlogy and integrate it in Director, the product will die in that area simply becuase it can not stand the competition.

On the other hand Adobe currently has the Know-how to make Director one of the best application development platforms for both online and offline media. I am currently using VB.NET in combination with Director and the similarities are massive. If adobe had the wisdom to keep updating the product regularly, Director would have now been far more powerfull than VB. As I understand even your survey show that the majority of people use Director for application development and NOT 3D showckwave content. Of course I am not saying that adobe should delete the 3d abilities of Director, all I am saying is that the focus should be more to expand the application development side and less on the 3d side. I don't like the 3D engine of Director as I consider it inferior in contrast to other engines (e.g., OGRE 3D), but since it is there, it evolution should continoue but only to aid application development and not to overcome the application development

But whatever happens one thing is for sure, I have been using Director for a very long time and the community has offered its help to my work several times. I would hate to see the product dead. Adobe Weak UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                • 21. Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                  wgb14 Level 1
                                                  LOOPING_Richard,

1) Your post is offensive and abusive. Posts that refer to other members personally (like"You will probably be complaining about these products in no time"), are highly offensive and abusive and are not/should not be allowed in ANY forum. However, as I am respecting this community and the help that I have received too much, I will not report you to the moderators.

2) If you believe that my posts are irretating you could have posted back asking me nicely to stop becuase I am off- track. By attacking me in this manner will lead no where.

3) Perhaps you should re-read my posts becuase, I never complained about anything.Director is fine as it is (apart from the fact that OS xtra doesn' t support any newer versions of director). All I am keep saying is that in MY point of view, Director is on the wrong track and if it will continoue like this, it will eventually die. If you find this irritating then I TRULY feel sorry for you, as you seem to ingnore the basic principle that EVERY forum on the WWW has been built upon, Freedom to express your point of view.

4) The only reason that I mentioned I am starting using other platforms like VB.NET and I am learning really fast is to show that Director can still be considered a serious development platform and If Macromedia/Adobe have given the product the value that it deserved, it would have been far more powerfull. Director is still good, but not that good to keep its users happy. You propably already know that several people (like Dean) are pushing Adobe for a Director 12, worth of its old reputation. These people are not willing to see their favourite product dead, and are definetely not happy with what Director is currently good at and use it JUST for that. They want much more, and why? simply becuase the product CAN OFFER IT.

You may continue but I consider the matter closed.

• 22. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                    Level 7
                                                    Hello wgb14,
                                                    my post is my opinion about the way you vent your opinion. Type your
                                                    name in google groups, together with macromedia.director.basics, and
                                                    see what comes up from this newsgroup. It is an unmoderated newsgroup.

It is not a question, so no need to reply.

Forgive me the strong wording, but it really made me angry.
                                                    (Still does BTW).

There are millions of Director developers, and we all are only ONE of
                                                    them. Our personal opinions only count for that, that 1 milionth of an
                                                    opinion.

If Director would die, its not a real problem. It means there is
                                                    something better than Director.
                                                    We move on.

Simple. Not?

Regards,
                                                    Richard.

• 23. Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                      wgb14 Level 1
                                                      <<Forgive me the strong wording, but it really made me angry.>>

Several people and things in this forum make me angry too. However I am always trying to be polite and have an open mind to other peoples' opinion. Most importantly, I am always trying no matter how angry I am, not to insult others. I could have easily started a fight with you, using even stronger words than yours. But I din't simply becuase the result would have been nothing else rather than a waste of time for BOTH of us.

In any way I agree that I am just one, but other people seem to agree with me as well. Unless I am reading Dean's statistics wrong, you will see that other people use DIrector the same way as I do, solely for the purpose of application development. This is how I took the initiative to start the discussion. I am sorry if it took a wrong turn somewhere, but it was difinetely not my intention.

About Director dying, yes OK it will be sad. At my age is difficult to learn new things, but I guess you are right something new will come up, so no big deal really!!!!!!!!!!!

• 24. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                        Level 7
                                                        wgb,

but do you understand what I tried to say?

I did read all your posts again before writing my post.
                                                        There is no point in bringing this whole thing up YET AGAIN, it has
                                                        been discussed over and over.
                                                        Your posts contain "a few" contradictions. And the tone is also not so
                                                        friendly as you present it now.

Richard

• 25. Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                          wgb14 Level 1
                                                          A request for Dean: Dean will your survey have any kind of impact to the development/marketing of the next version of Director? Or did you gather this data for personal use and Adobe has nothing to do with it?

BTW, Looping_Richard the whole subject is closed for me. My apologies if anyone was offended by my posts, but they were all written certainly not in the way that you (and propably only you) perceive them (they were all friendly), and with the only aim to illustrate a point. There is was no need, and still there is no need for anger or any other negative emotions.... we are all on the same side....Please don't reply to this and let's finish it here

• 26. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                            Level 7
                                                            Dean is not employed by Adobe. They will surely see the results -
                                                            whether this will change their approach to anything Director-related
                                                            remains to be seen. If history is anything to go by, then ...
                                                            • 27. Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                              Necromanthus Level 2
                                                              quote:

Originally posted by: Richard

> "necromanthus" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                              > Because Web3D is the future.

I disagree.

Richard,

There is no "2D future" for Adobe Director.
                                                              For various reasons.
                                                              The main question is if the "3D future" is still available ...

keep up the great work there.
                                                              cheers
                                                              • 28. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                                Level 7
                                                                Sean Wilson wrote:

> Dean is not employed by Adobe. They will surely see the results -
                                                                > whether this will change their approach to anything Director-related
                                                                > remains to be seen. If history is anything to go by, then ...

Yes, I am not am employee of Adobe, only a strong advocate for Director
                                                                who has developed good relationships in the Adobe product development
                                                                team. And I do have their respect. They have already shown interest in
                                                                the results and I've talked briefly about some of my findings. I hope
                                                                that the data I collate from this survey will have some impact.

regards
                                                                Dean

• 29. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                                  Level 7
                                                                  Just a note on the emotions that run through this forum. The Director
                                                                  community is unlike any other that I've been involved with. There are people
                                                                  here that are passionate about the product, supportive of others, kind,
                                                                  people I now call my friends. Of course many are frustrated, angry bitter,
                                                                  pessimistic, resentful. And this is all very understandable. Macromedia did
                                                                  not do justice to the product and now Adobe haven't proved they can bring
                                                                  Director up to current standards and expectations.

When reading rants or disagreements this forum, I can appreciate each the
                                                                  person has reasons for the views. It's not worth getting upset about or
                                                                  getting into a fight over them. I just enjoy the sprit of the forum, state
                                                                  the way I see things, and don't try to put down anything others raise or try
                                                                  change people's thinking.

regards
                                                                  Dean

• 30. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                                    wgb14 Level 1
                                                                    Its good to have you on our side Dean. I hope that your work will have a positive impact on Adobe and the product development. As for the emotions let's leave them behind us, it was propably a bad moment. As I said we are on the same side here, and we must support every move that is towards the future of the product that we all love.

Take care dean and again thanks for your support.
                                                                    • 31. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                                      Gimzani
                                                                      I have programmed over 100 Director projects. I have used it in nearly every aspect including the Shockwave 3D engine.

My pesonal opinion: Unless there is a 100% overhaul of Director then no amount of "coolness" is going to breathe life into it. It was a great platform for its time, but with the object oriented capabilities of AS3 and Flash, Adobe should just release the Shockwave 3D engine as an add-on to flash and the flash player.

For instance: Most people will download the flash player to see flash content. But if a new version of Flash coupled with a revamped - (and actually useful) - shockwave 3D engine, then as a web surfer, I would say yes to a prompt to add the capability to my flash player. Think of the explosion in web 3D if one could make it not only available but useful! GIVE ME A REASON TO LEARN BLENDER!!! Ha, ha, ha!

The 3D engine in Director relies on hacks and a 3rd party inspector to even be useful. Now, don't get me wrong - if you know what you're doing, it's a powerful little 3d engine - but most people are not hard core coders - and the ones that are don't program in Lingo - (VB).

The Xtra paradigm is a BAD paradigm. Too many things can go wrong during publishing. I agree that the extensibility is good, but you can do the same thing with class libraries.

The Verdict: Merge KEY features of Director with Flash. That is the only way to ressurrect this Dodo.

Gim
                                                                      • 32. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                                        ronnickname Level 1
                                                                        How about Adobe just offers the shockwave player as part of the flash player and make it one big install and then be done with that.
                                                                        • 33. Re: Director Next Roadmap Survey
                                                                          Brian Stew Level 2
                                                                          Forget about any 'assimilation' into the player itself. Adobe is very determined to keep the size of the Flashplayer down. A strange concideration in these broadband times you might say, but the player is featured in many handheld devices and settop boxes now, which have limited memory, and these manufacturers wants predictability in their design. Adobe has decided that mobile devices is an important (future) market for Flash.
                                                                          This is tough enough to wrangle with all the new features creeping into Flash itself already. A 3D engine as a class library would be conceptually possible at least. It's there with Papervision BTW. Shockwave is still better than that, for now...