25 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 10:24 AM by Bob Perkowski

Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?

Navarro Parker Level 3

Anyone update to 10.5.7 yet?  Is it safe?

• 1. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I might be able to answer that tomorrow or after the weekend. I haven't read anything about iTunes/ Quicktime being affected, though, so it should be safe. The last iTunes update was 2 weeks ago, anyway, so it would be miraculous if Apple would already provide another update...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
            Bob Perkowski

I installed 10.5.7 and have a broken Illustrator CS3 now. Crashes at different actions. New Doc - CRASH  Place - CRASH. I Reinstalled / Deleted all Adobe Products and reinstalled / Used a third party deletion tool (AppDelete) and Reinstalled to no avail. Adobe has no respect for Mac Users.

• 3. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
              yenaphe Level 4

Adobe has no respect for Mac Users.

How is this an Adobe fault ? How can they make their software work on non existant OS ? CS3 was released 2 years ago, how could they know what modification Apple made to their OS 2 years after release ?

• 4. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                Bob Perkowski Level 1

I'm not convinced that it was 10.5.7 that was the problem. Photoshop 

screwed a System when I switched Scratch Disks last week.

I've been using both Mac and Pcs since 1985.

When Adobe started they couldn't make the PCs display anything useable.

As soon as the PC caught up to Mac in Display Postscript, as it was 

known then, they saw a larger market in the PC market and began 

cutting back on Mac development.

Now with the intrusive Serial Number confirmation method Adobe employs 

and the Microsoft Flood of peripheral software they install they are 

as far away from Mac usability and creativity as they can get without 

falling of the planet.

Sorry but I have been trying to figure out why Illustrator refuses to 

perform a complete install all day and I have work to do.

BP

• 5. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                  Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                  I'm not convinced that it was 10.5.7 that was the problem.

But this is a thread about 10.5.7, isn't it?

Sorry but I have been trying to figure out why Illustrator refuses to 

perform a complete install all day and I have work to do.

You're entitled to support with your installation problems.

• 6. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                    Bob Perkowski Level 1

The link is helpful.

Thank you,

BP

• 7. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                      Navarro Parker Level 3

Just updated to 10.5.7 with the combo updated. No problems so far!

• 8. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                        Bob Perkowski Level 1

Apparently my "Complimentary Support" time has run out. Now, do I buy the upgrade to Adobe Illustrator CS4 and Photoshop CS4.... oh, did I mention Photoshop has taken on the same Crashing as Illustrator? and hope for the best or should I do a clean install and work for a week putting my machine back to normal? Thanks a lot Adobe! or to be fair at this point maybe Apple! I will post what ever solution I discover here.

• 9. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                          tresmont-EjFxQd

I upgraded this morning and I've crashed twice with Dreamweaver CS4.  It seems to be related to file activity.  I've crashed with put activity and just changing the name on my local version of a file.  I don't know what's going on, but it completely locks up the computer (MBP 2.8ghz 4GB ram) forcing a restart.

• 10. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?

My update went through just fine and so far I've not observed any problems. Will work on my Mac a bit more in the coming days, so I'lll let you know if something comes up...

Mylenium

• 11. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                              mr. ichybob Level 1

I would just like to recomend to all Mac users - before you run any upgrades, whether to the OS or just a quicktime, be sure to clone your system drive - If you have any problems you can be back where you were in minutes - without re-installing your OS and apps. I mean really this is a common sense sort of thing. The software is free (Carbon Copy Cloner, Net Restore, Super Duper, etc.) and only takes a few minutes - their is really no excuse.

• 12. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?

That may be true, but then updates kinda defeat their own purpose, don't you think? I sure should hope a big blob like Apple, that makes a 12 billion turnover a year, has some big lab with hundred computers where some interns test this stuff all day...

Mylenium

• 13. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                  Bob Perkowski Level 1

I went back to 10.5.6 and the Adobe problems still persist. Crash happens immediately on any action. I've deleted all Adobe programs from my machine, including Serial Numbers and re-installed. The Crash is instant. Nothing to do with 10.5.7. I filed an incident Report and Adobe marked it as "Withdrawn". Hardly withdrawn I'm sitting here with what has cumulated to thousands in Adobe Software that refuses to run. Give me a clue to the problem. Will ya, Adobe?

• 14. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So far I've had no trouble with the updates on my Power PC G4 Macs. I haven't run the update on my Intel Mac yet.

Update... Illustrator CS3 runs just fine for me on the G4. I had CS4 installed but grabbed my disks for CS3 and ran the install. Everything is fine.

I'd take a look at fonts and other 3rd party apps as a possible source of the problem. Most Adobe apps will have a hard time opening or just crash if you have a corrupted font installed and activated.

• 15. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                      Bob Perkowski Level 1

Well, after a solid week of archive and install, creating new Users, running arcane scripts, deleting everything Adobe and Reinstalling, installing using the aliases in the Adobe Installers they hide in the Utilities Folder -  I did everything - I mean EVERYTHING - I read on User group sites and Adobe sites - Nothing fixed my CS3 Photoshop or Ilustrator. Then I thought what the hell I'll download the CS4 vers of Photoshop and install that! What could be worse than invisible reasons Adobe Programs I bought and paid for decided to just quit on their own?

AND LO AND BEHOLD IT RUNS FLAWLESSLY!

Adobe is like a Brewery. You don't buy Beer - you just rent it!

YOU DON"Y BUY PHOTOSHOP OR ILLUSTRATOR  - YOU JUST RENT IT! When Adobe feels you've used it long enough they go limp on the Apple System upgrade you have to install.

I use your product grudgingly and curse all you good Republicans every day.

• 16. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                        armand5000

Hey Bob,

Please let this thread know if you have any further problems.  I'm running the CS3 suite and photoshop started crashing when I upgraded to 10.5.6

I tried almost everything that you did, erasing preference files, I don't have any plug-ins, and reinstalling / erasing then reinstalling the suite but alas, still crashing!

Then I archive installed the OS back to 10.5.5 and it ran fine.  Actually, I haven't "upgraded" since then so I'm still running 10.5.5 for fear of CS3 crashing again - I just can't afford to lose that software for a week straight ... and I think everyone out there feels my pain!!

If anyone else can chime in on this, please do ... I want that new version of Safari and can't do it without going to 10.5.7!!

Thanks,

-Armand

• 17. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                          Bob Perkowski Level 1

Hey Armand,

I gave up! I still had Photoshop CS3 and Illustrator CS3 installed as a back up on a PowerBook G4 so I just de-activated on my 24" iMac running 10.5.6 and activated the PowerBook copies. I have a 23" screen on the book. I did download the Demo of Photoshop CS4 and installed and it runs perfectly fine. At least for a month I have Photoshop on my fast mac!

My advice is don't install any Apple Sys upgrades for a couple months. Safari 4 ain't worth the heart ache! The 10 milsecs you save with a fast browser are over shadowed by 30 hours of install - delete - reformat - fix permissions  - make a New User - all the crap that Apple and Adobe can conjure for us.

Windows Users aren't having a better time with this aether. Check out their boards. They have almost the same stuff happening.

Maybe when the economy turns I'll upgrade but until then I have a payroll to make and people depending on me to keep kicking out the artwork. I just bought a new internal drive. one and a half Terrabyte for $139 delivered but Adobe Photoshop is $199 UPGRADE! I've paid them since version 1 and I'm damn tired of it.

Hope you have better luck than I did. Nothing like being a week behind because essential programs decide to quit.

• 18. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                            IT-GUY-765

Technically, Adobe has dropped support for most Mac OS X users...

It says so in the CS4 system requirements:

"Mac OS

• Multicore Intel® processor
                                            • Mac OS X v10.4.11–10.5.4..."

The complete specs are here

So if you are using the latest version of Mac OS X, your adobe software is already supposed to not work properly.

Why is this you might ask? The answer is quite obvious: Adobe just doesn't like Apple anymore. And hates mac users.

• 19. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                              yenaphe Level 4

IT-GUY-765 wrote:

Technically, Adobe has dropped support for most Mac OS X users...

It says so in the CS4 system requirements:

"Mac OS

• Multicore Intel® processor
                                              • Mac OS X v10.4.11–10.5.4..."

The complete specs are here

So if you are using the latest version of Mac OS X, your adobe software is already supposed to not work properly.

Why is this you might ask? The answer is quite obvious: Adobe just doesn't like Apple anymore. And hates mac users.

But please tell me how a software can be fully compatible with an OS upgrade released monthes after it's release ? And for your information, Apple always breaks things inside it's OS between release to keep things fast and reliable, whereas Windows still have some libraries from Windows 95 to have things compatible at the price of speed and reliability.

That is why software often breaks on mac from an upgrade to another (and not only Adobe products) whereas most of things stays compatible from a Windows to another. That's the price of efficiency, speed and reliability.

• 20. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?

I don't think there's any analysis worth making here, except that 10.5.4 was the current version when that bit was written. It means that it was officially tested throughly with those versions, but there isn't any reason why it won't work just as well with the minor OS updates released afterwards.

BTW, all CS4 products running perfectly here on 10.5.7 on my Macbook Pro.

• 21. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                                  johnjumawan Level 1

Just as the OP question is it safe now to jump into Mac OS X 10.5.7? We are all on Intel expcet for one PowerMacG5 and we use Adobe Suite CS3 and are on Mac OS X 10.5.6. Is the Adobe CS4 safe also with Mac OS X 10.5.7?

• 22. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?

Yes, it's safe for CS4.

I'm using it for demanding, real world jobs, and the 10.5.7 / AE 9.02 combo has yet to crash here.

But CS4 won't work on your G5. It's Intel only. So, you can safely update to 10.5.7 the Intel machines. For CS3 and the G5, it should be safe, but there's some room for suprises when you use an OS release that it's newer than the application itself.

In any case, as you surely know, Snow Leopard is around the corner and will also be Intel only.

• 23. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                                      Bob Perkowski Level 1

I'm coming to the end of my trial period with both Photoshop CS4 and Illustrator CS4 running them on my 24" iMac (Intel). I held out changing to CS4 as long as I could both the upgrade price and the investment of time learning yet another massive change are hard to justify after using these programs from the beginning.

I must admit the changes in both programs are excellent but I still am having trouble justifying days of watching videos to glean out new tools that apply to my work.

As to the performance in 10.5.7 - CS4 works perfectly but CS3 crashes. CS3 runs well on my PowerBook (Intel) in 10.5.6.

After I purchase the programs and set up my backup programs on the laptop I will upgrade the laptop to 10.5.7.

• 24. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                                        frunny

I am running Photoshop CS3 here on my iMac (Intel) just fine since the day of installation. I am sure there is another issue with your Mac or any software that you are running. Did you try to remove all your fonts and start CS3?

• 25. Re: Mac OS X 10.5.7 -- take the leap?
                                                          Bob Perkowski Level 1

Fonts and their frequent ability to screw things up was the very first thing I looked at when this whole thing started and may very well have been the problem. Since then I spent far too much time trying to fix CS3 and just succumbed to paying yet another $400 to Adobe and bought CS4 Photoshop and Illustrator. I must admit that these programs are better than CS3's but I have been paying Adobe  for use of programs since 1985 and I feel I should get a Customer Good Faith Discount or some recognition for sending money to them longer than most of their employees have been alive!