6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 12:50 PM by bilbob7624

memory problem with after effects... help!

bilbob7624

hello,

i am having a strange issue where my pc will lock up after i minimize After Effects and try to access the file (quicktime, wmv, etc...) i just created. i am new to AE but i'm sure this isn't normal.

any help here would be greatly appreciated.

bilbob7624

• 1. Re: memory problem with after effects... help!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Are you sure you are not trying to access the file when rendering isn't yet finished? Aprt from that: What are your system specs? What version of AE? Composition and render settings?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: memory problem with after effects... help!
            bilbob7624 Level 1

Mylenium

thanks for the response,

i'm not too computer savy so please bare with me :-) as i try and describe things

well i assume the render is finished when AE's signal goes off and it says it's completed in the que.

what happens is when if finishes i go to the file and double-click. it then pauses/locksup the system for about 10-20 sec. and then let's me play the file.

sometimes it tells me it nees to "change the virtual memory paging file size". which is currently 2046/4092.

the specs on my system are:

Memory -  OCZ DDR3 Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 MB

Graphics Card - PNY Quadro FX 3800 1024 MB PCI-E 2.0

thanks,

i hope this is the info you were looking for.

• 3. Re: memory problem with after effects... help!

Mmh, if it gives you virtual memory errors, you have too many system processes running and your RAM is full. Not directly related to AE, but it explains the delays. What happens is, that any additional program you launch on such a crammed system forces other memory pages to be moved into the swap file so that RAM becomes available, making things slow in terms of user feedback. it also sometimes effectively disables file associations (it's a timeout in Windows' internal messaging system). Do you by any chance use Render Multiple Frames Simultanously? If so, try to render without it. Other than that there is not much you can do but sift through task manager and your Services control panel and see, which applications and tools consume al lthe resources, then try to disable unnecessary stuff. This would in particular apply to the millions of tools that place themselves in the system tray like virus scanners, update checkers, messengers, other widgets. Also close down other programs during rendering. Even a simple thing like a web browser can consume more than 120 MB of RAM (Firefox with a few extensions).

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: memory problem with after effects... help!
                bilbob7624 Level 1

thanks!

that sounds like great advice. i'll definitely keep the open apps. down to a bare minimum.

another question if i may:

should i modify my Virtual Memory sizes? the last thing i want to do is change something that isn't broken but would this help?

thanks,

matt

• 5. Re: memory problem with after effects... help!

Normally there is no point in changing that size and leave it at "system manages page file" or whatever the correct formulation is in English. Some people would advise to make the page file twice the size of the physical RAM, but that is not really true. What may help, is to define multiple smaller swap files on different drives. That way, the I/O load gets balanced a bit better. The only advantage in using a fixed swap file size is that it will avoid the warning message and that the file will be checked and created during system startup, rather than in the crunch. This may prevent crashes, but otherwise it should not make much of a difference. In your case setting overall swap space to 6 GB sounds reasonable, everything else would be wasting disk space - even if there is more, Windows will most likely never use it because the process overhead would outweigh the memory issues. It would then simply not allow more processes to access memory or send processes in idle/ hibernation modes, until it regains some air to breathe (physical RAM), effectively locking the system.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: memory problem with after effects... help!
                    bilbob7624 Level 1

Whew! i think i got it.... thanks for the insights and your time in helping out.

it's much appreciated.

matt