7 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 5:06 PM by the_wine_snob

Trouble transfering a CS3 project

lchapman66 Level 1

I am trying to move a PP CS3 project from another editor to me   When I open the transfered project on the new workstation I get a strange corruption that crashes Premiere.  We are both running CS3.

The timeline to be exported to a DVD contains a nested sequence.  On the original machine the nested sequence is called "Main".   Once transfered the nested sequence shows up in the timeline as "Sequence 01".  "Sequence 01" does not appear in the Project Panel.   If I click on Sequence 01 in the timeline Premiere  crashes.   I tried renaming the sequence Main in the Project Panel to Sequence 01 but that did not fix the issue.

Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Trouble transfering a CS3 project
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Try creating a new project and import the problem project into it.

Double-click on the bin with the old project's name and then look for the "Main" sequence and double-click it to open it in the timeline.

Does it work now?

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Trouble transfering a CS3 project
            lchapman66 Level 1

Eddie -

Thanks for the idea!   It worked but . . .

I can now work with the sequence that contains the nested sequence without a crash.  However, the nested sequence still displays its name as "Sequence 01" in the timeline and does not appear anywhere in the Project Panel.   When I right-click on Sequence 01 and do a Properties it says it's "Main". If I dbl-click on Sequence 01 in the timeline it opens the sequence Main.

I wonder if the original editor did some funky renames/replaces or somesuch . . .

• 3. Re: Trouble transfering a CS3 project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

At the NLE level, unless some extended characters were used, you should have the original (from the other editor's machine) names. Things can get a touch dicy in Encore, as its Sonic-authorcore likes files with no spaces and even some more common ASCII characters.

Can you Rename the nested Sequence? You might have to do a bit of "housekeeping," but it *should* work fine.

One little tip, when you Export to author (assuming Encore, or some other Sonic-authorcore program) you might want to Exprot with filenames that do not contain spaces. The underscore "_" and the dash "-" work fine. I get sloppy and leave spaces in, with no ill-effects. Still, many others have run into problems with spaces and odd characters in Encore.

Glad you got the Project Imported and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Trouble transfering a CS3 project
                lchapman66 Level 1

At the NLE level, unless some extended characters were used, you should have the original (from the other editor's machine) names. Things can get a touch dicy in Encore, as its Sonic-authorcore likes files with no spaces and even some more common ASCII characters.

>> No Encore involvement at this point.

Can you Rename the nested Sequence?

>> The moment I click on it Premiere crashes.  It does not show-up in the Project Panel.

You might have to do a bit of "housekeeping," but it *should* work fine.

>> Should, but doesn't.

One little tip, when you Export to author (assuming Encore, or some other Sonic-authorcore program) you might want to Exprot with filenames that do not contain spaces. The underscore "_" and the dash "-" work fine. I get sloppy and leave spaces in, with no ill-effects. Still, many others have run into problems with spaces and odd characters in Encore.

Glad you got the Project Imported and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Trouble transfering a CS3 project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

So, the Project crashes, when you go to Rename it? Is this in the version, where you followed Eddie's suggestion to Import the Project (with the Nested Sequence) into a new Project with proper Presets?

If so, that does not bode well. Can you contact the other editor and get some info? Can you get him/her to do a Save_As_a_Copy, after cleaning up the Sequence name? You have the Assets, so you only need the PRPROJ file. You might have to do some minor re-Linking, but I doubt it.

There was also a thread on crashes when Renaming. Do not recall if it was PElements, CS2-3 or CS4. Maybe a Search will turn that one up, if it was not too long ago. I'll also go looking. Unfortunately, I do not recall the resolution in that thread.

Now, I really wish you good LUCK!

Hunt

• 6. Re: Trouble transfering a CS3 project
                    lchapman66 Level 1

So, the Project crashes, when you go to Rename it?

>> The instant I click on the nested sequence in the timeline Premere crashes.

Is this in the version, where you followed Eddie's suggestion to Import the Project (with the Nested Sequence) into a new Project with proper Presets?

>> No.   That project works correctly (so far).

If so, that does not bode well. Can you contact the other editor and get some info? Can you get him/her to do a Save_As_a_Copy, after cleaning up the Sequence name?

>> The version on his machine does not have this naming/crashing issue.  Weird, eh?

You have the Assets, so you only need the PRPROJ file. You might have to do some minor re-Linking, but I doubt it.

There was also a thread on crashes when Renaming. Do not recall if it was PElements, CS2-3 or CS4. Maybe a Search will turn that one up, if it was not too long ago. I'll also go looking. Unfortunately, I do not recall the resolution in that thread.

Now, I really wish you good LUCK!

Hunt

• 7. Re: Trouble transfering a CS3 project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Is this in the version, where you followed Eddie's suggestion to Import the Project (with the Nested Sequence) into a new Project with proper Presets?

>> No.   That project works correctly (so far).

OK, I feel better now. Can you do the Renaming in the "good" Project? Is the Sequence name that important an issue? Can you live with the incorrect Sequence name, "Sequence01?" Though it will appear as the default Sequence name, when you go to Export, you can change that to suit your needs.

Good luck,

Hunt