0 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 10:49 AM by JaredHess

Simplified Chinese TOC in CHM Shows Gibberish Characters

JaredHess Level 1

Hi All,

I've been working with localized projects for quite a while now, but I still don't get all the ins and outs of getting Chinese characters to display properly. Usually after some trial and error I can get Chinese chars to display properly. But today its being especially obstinant.

In our localization process we localize decompiled .chm projects. So I typically just recompile localized projects inside FAR HTML. However, I'm trying to use RH to recompile in since I'm out of any good ideas on getting my TOC to display the proper chars. All I get is gibberish in the CHM project.

So, I decided I'd try RH but I'm getting the same results using RH. After importing the project from our translators into RH, the characters show up fine inside RH's TOC viewer:

rh_toc_pic.jpg

But, as with FAR HTML, after I compile, the chars in the Contents tab come across as gibberish characters:

chm_toc_pic.jpg

However, the chars in the Index tab and the actual topic text are fine:

chm_index_pic.jpg

I've already changed the system locale in Vista to use Simplified Chinese (PRC). No go. I've tried adding in <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=gb2312"> into the hhc. Not sure if that works with hhc, but I figured what the heck... Still no go.

I know it's some kind of encoding issue. Just not sure how to solve it. Any ideas?

I'm using the latest RH 7 build with Vista.