5 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 11:49 AM by Bill Bernhardt

Can artwork be renamed during packaging or some other way?

Bill Bernhardt Level 1

Hello all,

I am new to this forum so please forgive me in advance.

1. Is there a scripting program for InDesign like FrameScript for FrameMaker?

2. Is there a good location for finding plug-ins or other scripts?

3. I see "JS" used alot. I take it that that stands for JavaScript. If so are most of the scripts run through Java?

Now what brings me here. Is there a script that will package a document and rename the artwork to the document name with appropriate numbers ### after it? or just rename the links?

Being new I created a document that linked artwrok files from some different folders. In my unbeleavable, ignorance I gave some of the artowrk files the same name. Shame on me. I should have made a master artwork folder from the get-go, but this was only a temporary, once in a blue moon, etc. deal.

As it is turning out, I am now the default "Crayon" for the company. I would like and easy way to fix a major problem.

Thank you in advance!

Bill

• 1. Re: Can artwork be renamed during packaging or some other way?
          Olav Martin Kvern Level 3

Hi Bill,

See my other response (in the "New Person" thread).

A script to do what you want would a.) rename the files on disk, then b.) relink the artwork in the packaged file to those new file names. This is (almost) easy to do in JavaScript.

Thanks,

Ole

• 2. Re: Can artwork be renamed during packaging or some other way?
            Bill Bernhardt Level 1

Ole,

Thank you for the insight.

I bit the bullet and got the files relinked, and found out that most of the doubles were my logos.

I had purchased a plug-in that converts PDF files to ID. Works great! What I failed to do was set the export artwork option to a different name. It did a splendid job of naming all the artwork to the same name in each of the different project folders. I looked at that box and said "Better leave it alone for now." I learn form my mistakes!

One more to ask.

Is there a find/replace text script that is out there? I get manuals and documents from Korea and England that have words like tyre (that is correct for the UK) but needs to be tire in the USA.

If you use FrameMaker I do have a find/replace script for it. Have over 2000 checks that it does for me.

I will check out the site you sent.

Best regards,

Bill Bernhardt

Doosan Publications

770-831-2249

• 3. Re: Can artwork be renamed during packaging or some other way?
              Olav Martin Kvern Level 3

Hi Bill,

re: find/change

Try the FindChangeByList.jsx example script that was installed with your copy of InDesign. It relies on a tab-delimited text file that contains all of the find/change operations you want to perform. Actually, you'll probably want to download the updated version from the scripting home page (that I sent you to earlier)--some of the early versions have a bug in them.

Thanks,

Ole

• 4. Re: Can artwork be renamed during packaging or some other way?
                Bill Bernhardt Level 1

Ole,

I had just found that script in the script window. (I had to read help to find the script panel!) I knew it was out there. I've got a lot of home work (company work) to do. At 56 this old dog just loves to learn new tricks.

I take it that the Java Scripts are the better ones.

I also looked at the site and found another one call "MultiFind_Change".

I will go look for a revised version of the InDesign sample script. I tried to run the sample in the program and got an error on line 55. That may be the bug you were talking about.

Well back to exercising the brain muscle.

Best regards,

Bill Bernhardt

Doosan Publications

770-831-2249

• 5. Re: Can artwork be renamed during packaging or some other way?
                  Bill Bernhardt Level 1

Ole,

Got it to work!  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Best regards,

Bill Bernhardt

Doosan Publications

770-831-2249