4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 6:55 AM by Bob Pierce

Client editing of Flash text

Bob Pierce Level 1

What's the best way to enable a client to edit text in a Flash-only site? I'm not talking about throughout the site, just selected text blocks. I could easily fill them from XML files and provide a file upload facility, but most clients will want something more friendly. I could copy the text to a TextArea for editing within the site and update the text from that but I think I'd end up writing my own wordprocessing software to make it look friendly. What do others do? I don't want to re-invent the wheel!

• 1. Re: Client editing of Flash text
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To minimize the client's need for technical know-how (primarily uploading a revised xml file, etc), my approach would be to create an interface that has each element the client can edit that they can submit (click a button) for storage to a datafile or database.  The web site file would read from the datafile/database to populate the content.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Client editing of Flash text
            Bob Pierce Level 1

Thanks Ned. That's what I'd prefer to offer the client, but if the interface shows all the editable text from a particular state/page, eg headings and body text together, then I will have to handle styles to some extent which I want to avoid. I could restrict all my text blocks to a single text format, ie one block for the heading, another for body etc, and providing editing of individual blocks only. But I was wondering about using HTML-formatted text and making use of an existing editor  - similar to that used on this forum and on countless other sites.

• 3. Re: Client editing of Flash text
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Individual blocks is what I was alluding to.  In my scenario, the client has to live with the format the site is designed around--but that's just me... I tend to be on the shy side when it comes to suggesting design approaches that are going to cost my clients lots more.  You could design an editor that does all the nice things these editing interfaces do, but who do you charge for the time spent doing it?  And then you have to spend extra time designing the Flash site to be self adjusting for the untold freedom the client now has... html pages are more forgiving in that aspect because they can expand, but Flash sites are limited by their stage borders.

• 4. Re: Client editing of Flash text
                Bob Pierce Level 1

Ok, we're agreed then! I'll try the individual text block approach.

Thanks for your input.