6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2009 1:24 PM by synapsemedia

blackmagic audio monitoring vs sound blaster audio monitoring?

synapsemedia Level 1

hi everyone

i have a question. is it better to monitor audio via my speakers plugged into the creative sfx soundblaster sound card (which is what i am doing at present)or is it better to monitor audio via my speakers plugged into the intensity pro (blackmagic video card) ??

or does it not really matter?

i use a pair of phillips pc speakers at present. the speakers are of quite high quality and were not cheap when i bought hem. around 150 euros.

what are the advantages/disadvatages of either method??

cheers

angus

• 1. Re: blackmagic audio monitoring vs sound blaster audio monitoring?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Not a direct answer, as I do not know the BM card, or its capabilities.

I monitor the audio with headphones, while editing. These are hooked directly to my Audio card. Once the critical Audio work is done, I then monitor the results (usually just a listening test) through the card's DD 5.1 SS with a 6-speaker setup. I find that if I use the headphones, I can tune more critically, and usually only need to tweak the spatial relationships a bit, when played through the speakers. Just my personal workflow.

Good luck, and hope someone, who knows the BM card (model #?) can give you a more direct answer.

Hunt

• 2. Re: blackmagic audio monitoring vs sound blaster audio monitoring?
            Averdahl Level 3

Angus, this are your choices:

- When you are editing a Blackmagic Project: Blackmagic audio monitoring.

- When you are editing a non-Blackmagic Project: Sound Blaster monitoring.

Every other configuration will give you out of sync audio.

/Roger

• 3. Re: blackmagic audio monitoring vs sound blaster audio monitoring?
              synapsemedia Level 1

hey guys thanks for the info. roger your answer makes perfect sense. of course. now its all a little less muddy.

cheers!

angus

• 4. Re: blackmagic audio monitoring vs sound blaster audio monitoring?
                synapsemedia Level 1

hey roger - hope you are still watching this thread

i have another question...

why would i want to create and edit ia blackmagic project at all vs a non blackmagic/premiere pro project?

in fact my blackmagic card (intensity pro) does not support 10 bit video (just realized this recently) whereas premiere pro i guess does.

the only reason i can think of is monitoring although i suppose there may be a way to monitor video on a professional monitor from a premiere pro project???              

cheers

angus

• 5. Re: blackmagic audio monitoring vs sound blaster audio monitoring?
                  Averdahl Level 3

Today the biggest reason to create a non-Blackmagic Design project is that any Blackmagic Design project drops a lot of frames in any project which makes it frustrating to edit. This did not happen as often in CS3, but in CS4 it happens even on native Blackmagic Design footage with no filters on it, all the time. Yes, they do have a setting that allows the user to continue the playback despite any dropped frames, but it has no function in the 3.1 and 3.1.2 drivers, at least not on Vista 64-bit. It did work in CS3 and Vista 64-bit.

The HDD's can sustain the data required, so its not a HDD issue. I dont know who to blame, Blackmagic Design drivers or the playback engine in CS4. Since older machines that played back HDV in CS3 without problems struggles with the very same footage in CS4 it seems that Adobe is the one to blame.

Besides that i have no other reason to use a non-Blackmagic Design Timeline.

AFAIK, you can edit 10-bit footage with the Intensity card. You cannot capture 10-bit footage though so its a catch22. Look at the Decklink series instead.

/Roger

• 6. Re: blackmagic audio monitoring vs sound blaster audio monitoring?
                    synapsemedia Level 1

hi roger

i was not able to deduce from your last reply why one would want to use one timeline over another.

ok lets assume for a moment that the blackmagic card works flawlessly, why would I want to use a blackmagic project/timeline vs an adobe premiere timeline? am i going to get better results/video/audio using blackmagic? or is it no different to using the premiere pro timeline?

in short, what is the point of using a blackmagic timeline at all?

cheers

angus