8 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2009 2:41 AM by maxelcat

default image editor

maxelcat Level 1

Hi

I used to have FW8 set so that all my images displayed in folders opened with FW8.

I now have FW CS4, but my images still open with FW8. I have tried right clikcing on an icon, and setting the properties for that jpeg (say) so that it opens with cs4 fireworks.exe and ticking "Alwyas open with this programme" but the icons still show fw8 and indeed still open with fw8

What do I need to do so that my images open with CS4 FW by default

thanks

E

• 1. Re: default image editor
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Here is a basic (XP) walkthrough- Give step one a try.

Also for XP is a little utility to automatically set this - here. (Does not require install)

If you on Vista - go to Start > Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a filetype or protocol with a program.

h

• 2. Re: default image editor
            maxelcat Level 1

hi

thanks for the answer - tried both those solutions and neither worked.

however, did find I could set the association so that they all opened in photoshop - but can't make it work for fireworks - it is the firewors.exe file that I want to browse to isn't it?

E

• 3. Re: default image editor
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Yes, you should be browsing to the Fireworks.exe file when associating.

Unfortunately, the other suggestion I have is to ensure that you are logged in as Admin to be able to make those file type associations.

h

• 4. Re: default image editor
                Nadia-P Level 5

Do you still have FW8 on the computer.  I'm sure that once that is removed (correctly by uninstalling via control panel), you should then be able to select the program to open the files with - or they *should* open automatically with the new version.

• 5. Re: default image editor
                  Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

That's what i was going to say too. Unistall FW8 and CS4 should become your default program.

• 6. Re: default image editor
                    maxelcat Level 1

Thanks for the replies

I have uninstalled FW8 using the control panel.

I have several image icons on my desktop - the pngs are associated with CS4 FW but the jpgs (jpegs) go with Ps. I want them to open with FW - so I have tried to re-associate them using controlpanel->folder options-> file types and browing through to jpg. I then click "Change" and the list of recommended programs opens - which oddly doesn't have FW cs4???

SO I have to browse to it in the adobe folder, and click through to its .exe icon.

Now of this works though, even after a restart the icon still shows and Ps.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

E

• 7. Re: default image editor
                      Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

maxelcat wrote:

Thanks for the replies

I have uninstalled FW8 using the control panel.

I have several image icons on my desktop - the pngs are associated with CS4 FW but the jpgs (jpegs) go with Ps. I want them to open with FW - so I have tried to re-associate them using controlpanel->folder options-> file types and browing through to jpg. I then click "Change" and the list of recommended programs opens - which oddly doesn't have FW cs4???

SO I have to browse to it in the adobe folder, and click through to its .exe icon.

Now of this works though, even after a restart the icon still shows and Ps.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

E

well,  have a guess....

Check if there is an option inside Ps preferences to undo it from default jpg editor. (There is a setting like this in Dw but not in Fw.)

I think reinstalling Ps too is your last move.

• 8. Re: default image editor
                        maxelcat Level 1

well, nothing in Ps that I could find - I also played with the preferences in Dw - they were set to Ps for jpegs etc (but I htink that is for editing from inside Dw???)

Anyway, no joy

getting a bit fed up, wasting time (but it is monday morning...)

thanks anyway