9 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 3:54 PM by Michael Borbor

how does air's update work? and what's going on on the server?

IrishAIRMax

Hi Everybody,

I am wishing to make a RIDA through AIR, a Flex RIA, and a J2me app all for the same project so that it can be accessed wherever and how ever the user wants.

My question about this is how does AIR update. I have been told that it holds the previous state in memory and whenever it has an internet connection it will update the server automatically. This sounds brilliant and exactly what I am looking for but I cannot find how this is done? Does it sync the whole offline data model to the server data model or does it keep a log of the changes and just make the neccesary changes?

Which in turns leads me to my next question. How does it update itself (changes that did not take places through AIR, such as if a change was made to the data model through my Flex or J2me app)?

My third is somewhat of a group of questions about the server aspect of things. I cannot find anything about how AIR links to the server:

• Does AIR simply link to a database in which it gets and updates information from?
      • If the AIR app is to have authentisity, does it need an internet connection from the start to check the username and password from the database and pull the neccesary information?
      • How much data is stored to memory or does it store all data for database so that it has a complete offline copy?
      • If it is not just a database on the server side or does not have to be just a database on the server but scripts as well, what type of scripts can it use? Can it use scripts that can also be used by the Flex application? If so how does it does this? HttpRequests the same as J2me to Servlets?
      • And finally what type of server do they need? Will I need two different types of servers - one for adobe and one for java?

Any help with any of this will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you all so much in advance!!
      IrishAIRMax

• 1. Re: how does air's update work? and what's going on on the server?
          Michael Borbor Level 4

Hi there, welcome the the AIR community.

Yes AIR can hold data in memory but most likely you'll end up using SQLite DB to store the data in the client's hard disk. AIR provides you with capabilities to detect whether an internet connection is available or not, so you can create the logic in order to handle what to do with the data when there's a connection available and where not.

If you hava a Java server working your AIR app can interact with it using standard Http Services or WebServices.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how does air's update work? and what's going on on the server?
            IrishAIRMax Level 1

I have to say that I'm loving the picture! well cool!

Sorry but I don't quiet understand. I thought AIR did the updating automatically? I didn't realise the developer had to program the logic of how the updates take place?  Is it a case in most AIR apps that when online the app updates the server and once every intervel (of however long) the local SQLite DB is synced to the more updated server DB. Then when offline the developer has to sense that the app is offline and store a log manually of the updates without any help from AIR itself, and then update once it comes online again?

Can AIR link to anything more than a database on the server side apart from webservices, for example .as files or any other file types?

What type of server is a Flex app stored on, is it a specific Adobe server rather than a Java or .NET server?

Thank you so much for your last comment!

IrishAIRMax

• 3. Re: how does air's update work? and what's going on on the server?
              Michael Borbor Level 4

AIR give you classes to detect an on-line or off-line status, it's in 

this way for the sake of flexibility for instance what happens if you 

only what to sync  data only on Saturdays at 2 am? If it were done 

automatically that'll be a problem. And it isn't so complicated.

You can download the SalesBuilder from AIR examples at www.adobe.com/devnet/air

it's an application that does everything you have in mind.

I don't understand your question abou file types.

An AIR app can communicate with almost every backend served tech 

CF, .Net, PHP, RoR.

Sincerely,

Michael

El 14/05/2009, a las 8:48, IrishAIRMax <forums@adobe.com> escribió:

>

I have to say that I'm loving the picture! well cool!

>

Sorry but I don't quiet understand. I thought AIR did the updating 

automatically? I didn't realise the developer had to program the 

logic of how the updates take place?  Is it a case in most AIR apps 

that when online the app updates the server and once every intervel 

(of however long) the local SQLite DB is synced to the more updated 

server DB. Then when offline the developer has to sense that the app 

is offline and store a log manually of the updates without any help 

from AIR itself, and then update once it comes online again?

>

Can AIR link to anything more than a database on the server side 

apart from webservices, for example .as files or any other file types?

>

What type of server is a Flex app stored on, is it a specific Adobe 

server rather than a Java or .NET server?

>

Thank you so much for your last comment!

IrishAIRMax

>

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: how does air's update work? and what's going on on the server?
                IrishAIRMax Level 1

Thanks so much again Michael,

The filetype question is because i don't understand what is on the server side and what is not, I have looked for documentation on this but cannot find any. For example a normal Java web app has DB, Servlets, JSP on server, a .Net web app has DB, .CS, .ASPX on server, a j2me app that links to internet server has DB and Servlets.

I don' know what a AIR app would have on the server side or that it doesn't have a server side as such and that it soley interacts with a DB?

Or can it interact with any server code pages from any server for example .CS file for .NET, or .java for Java depending on the developer's preference and if the developer needs to interact with any server code pages?

Also what type of server does a Flex application need? Is it an adobe specfic server space or does it use a Java server space?

Thank you so much in advance again and for your last reply, it is really appreciated,

IriahAIRMax

• 5. Re: how does air's update work? and what's going on on the server?
                  Michael Borbor Level 4

Oh I see. With an AIR app you don't need a server at all because it's 

an app that run within your desktop environment. It uses the AIR 

runtine and that's all needed to have an app running in your computer.

Yes you can choose the server technology that you feel most 

comfortable with, an the db type as well.

Sincerely,

Michael

El 14/05/2009, a las 9:28, IrishAIRMax <forums@adobe.com> escribió:

>

Thanks so much again Michael,

>

The filetype question is because i don't understand what is on the 

server side and what is not, I have looked for documentation on this 

but cannot find any. For example a normal Java web app has DB, 

Servlets, JSP on server, a .Net web app has DB, .CS, .ASPX on 

server, a j2me app that links to internet server has DB and Servlets.

>

I don' know what a AIR app would have on the server side or that it 

doesn't have a server side as such and that it soley interacts with 

a DB?

>

Or can it interact with any server code pages from any server for 

example .CS file for .NET, or .java for Java depending on the 

developer's preference and if the developer needs to interact with 

any server code pages?

>

Also what type of server does a Flex application need? Is it an 

adobe specfic server space or does it use a Java server space?

>

Thank you so much in advance again and for your last reply, it is 

really appreciated,

IriahAIRMax

>

• 6. Re: how does air's update work? and what's going on on the server?
                    IrishAIRMax Level 1

Ah perfect, thats real cool!

Just one last question, don't mean to be a bother, i asked it in the last couple of posts but you must have missed it.

What type a server can a Flex RIA be uploaded to? Does is have to be a Flex specfic server as I have never heard of these?

Thank so much for all your help!!

IrishAIRMax

• 7. Re: how does air's update work? and what's going on on the server?
                      Michael Borbor Level 4

A flex app that targets the flash runtine and not AIR can be uploaded 

even to a server that's supports only CGI so this means that you can 

upload it anywhere.

However the same applies if you want to upload your AIR app installer 

to a web server. It doesn't have any requirements on where you place 

the installer.

Sincerely,

Michael

El 14/05/2009, a las 10:13, IrishAIRMax <forums@adobe.com> escribió:

>

Ah perfect, thats real cool!

>

Just one last question, don't mean to be a bother, i asked it in the 

last couple of posts but you must have missed it.

>

What type a server can a Flex RIA be uploaded to? Does is have to be 

a Flex specfic server as I have never heard of these?

>

Thank so much for all your help!!

>

IrishAIRMax

>

• 8. Re: how does air's update work? and what's going on on the server?
                        IrishAIRMax Level 1

Ah cool, so that could be uploaded to a java server.

But it can not access the servlets on that server, can it? it does not have the dynamic capablity of JSP?

• 9. Re: how does air's update work? and what's going on on the server?
                          Michael Borbor Level 4

It can interact with http services, web services, my experience with

servlets is null so could you tell me what they are?

What do you mean by dynamic capabilities of JSP?

Sincerely,

Michael