4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 7:51 AM by mtthwmrrsn

2nd question about dropped frames

mtthwmrrsn Level 1

I'm having a ton of problems with dorpped frames and stuttering playback after rendering my projects in CS4. Althought a format of my video drive took care of the problem on one project I am still experiencing the issues on an new projects I start. I ran scan disk and did not find any problems and windows says the drive does not need to be defragged (though I did it anyways).

When I upgraded from 1.5 to CS 4 I actually bought a new hard drive and reinstalled the OS, CS4 and the latest BlackMagic drivers and kept my old 1.5 system drive as a backup. And the odd thing is that I can pop the old hard drive back in and start a new project and everything works just fine and no frames are dropped, but using the same project settings in CS4 results in a variety of problems. The only difference between the two should be CS4 vs. 1.5 and a newer set of BlackMagic drivers (I forget the version number at the moment, but any drivers after a certain point would no longer work with 1.5).

I'm going to ask in a BlackMagic forum too, but does anyone have any ideas why I would be having this problem?

• 1. Re: 2nd question about dropped frames
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Not without an understanding of which OS on what hardware with what source material in which project settings.

• 2. Re: 2nd question about dropped frames
            mtthwmrrsn Level 1

Sorry... I didn't think that would be an issue since they are a constant across both drives, but I should have known better... I guess I'm slipping.

(remember...it's an older system that I do plan to upgrade once the economy gets slightly better.... so I know it's older and slightly outdated)

Mobo: Intel BOXD955XBKLKR

Processor: INTEL BX80551PGH3200F Pentium Extreme Edition 840 3.20 GHz 800 MHz Socket 775 2MB

Memory: Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 4GB

System drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB

Video Drives: 2x Western Digital Raptor 150GB (no RAID, just independent drives)

Cache Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB

BlackMagic SP card

Shooting on a PD170, capturing in/and editing with BlackMagic DV 4x3 project settings... output to a UVW1800 if it matters.

It's a very basic edit suite... but it should have more than enough power for the source material... at least in my opinion.

• 3. Re: 2nd question about dropped frames
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              It's a very basic edit suite... but it should have more than enough power for the source material... at least in my opinion.

It's not a basic edit suite. With your disk setup you probably have a much more efficient PC than a lot of (notebook) users have even with T9550 or other Core2Duo processors in it. And I agree with you, for DV work, coming off a PD-170, this setup should be more than enough and easily handle everything you throw at it. You should not have dropped frames in a standard DV project on that hardware.

Can you post a screenshot of Process Explorer and a DXDIAG.TXT result (posted as an Image, using the camera icon). That avoids the long queueing wait to see it. You can find the instructions and link in this post, second half.

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 4. Re: 2nd question about dropped frames
                mtthwmrrsn Level 1

Sure, but I don't have Process Explorer installed so it will take me a few minutes... actually it might take me longer... I need to wrap up a project first and get it out the door before I start playing around. I should post back in a couple of hours tops.