2 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 2:45 PM by Dan Bracuk

Array/Structure or QueryNew

Recently I have had to work with data that I read off a Text File. I created the required pages using both Arrays and QueryNew funtions to manipulate the data. I did find QueryNew better suited for my purpose. Speed wise I could not see any noticeable difference. Server performance wise do any of you know if one is better than the other?

• 1. Re: Array/Structure or QueryNew
          ilssac Level 5

A couple of years ago, I had a ColdFusion Engineer at a conference to us that ColdFusion is more efficient at hangling LARGE arrays then LARGE Record Sets.  As it is a web application server, not a database management system.

This was in reference to the preformance of Query of Query functionality that can often be sped up with a converstion to some type of Array logic.

And I would worry more about which version was easier to code, understand and maintain before I would ever worry about minor preformance differences until such a time is load and preformance testing tells me there is a problem.

But depending on what you where doing with those record sets after you built them with the QueryNew() functionality, it might, possible, maybe be slightly better if they where arrays.

• 2. Re: Array/Structure or QueryNew
            Dan Bracuk Level 5

try cfhttp.  The name attribute gives you a query.