7 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2009 3:25 AM by Video100

After Effects and Avid

Video100 Level 1

3. 3. Newbie Question

Use After Effects, Avid Media Composer 3.5 for Editing Projects are for Broadcast TV and DVD for Clients.

1. Best Quality for Broadcast Televsion and DVD
      Please advise for Broascast TV and DVD. Best Quality Settings. 760 x 1080 HD? Please Advise

2. After Effects imported into Avid Best Quality Settings.

After Effects projects for import to Avid for Broadcast TV and DVD..Render project as an OMF File 1:1 to Avid? for Best Quality?

3. Seem to get low quality and jaggies on all CG done in After Effects at least at 720x460 is this normal for that setting?

Thank a lot new to After Effects appreciate the feedback.

Joe Krause

After Effects Adobe Production Premium CS3

Due Core Vista System 4 G Memory

• 1. Re: After Effects and Avid
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Jon: You seem to have some wild confussions regarding frame sizes. But you know what? AE is designed so you don't have to remember all the actual figures (it does help remembering them eventually, of course!)

For example, NTSC is not 720x460. But the thing is, just trust the After Effects Comp presets when you create a new Composition. This is, in the New Composition dialog, pick NTSC D1 (if it's for broadcast television with Digibeta or similar formats) or NTSC DV (it it's for 4:3 DVD or DV formats) and AE will populate the frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect and every other field with the right values. There's no need to enter these yourself.

1. It's not the same thing. Broadcast usually requires uncompressed or very slightly compressed files. DVD always uses MPEG-2 compression, but you don't necessarilly have to produce the MPEG-2 file yourself. If you use Adobe Encore or any other DVD authoring application, it will gladly take your broadcast quality production file and covert it to MPEG-2 as used in DVDs. You wouldn't have to do much about it, except pick a quality preset in Adobe Encore.

2. Again,  broadcast and DVD are different specs. But yes, it's Avid's proprietary format, and 1:1 means using uncompressed video (huge files of course). Or you can download Avid's codecs for Quicktime and AVI and render Quicktime or AVI files with Avid codecs. Mylenium recently said that he experienced a lot of problems with these (I am aware that old Avid codecs on Mac could prevent some applications from launching!), so there's room for opinion and personal experience. If you use a standard Quicktime codec like Animaton at 100 per cent quality, you'll have great quality, but Avid systems will take longer to import them, since they will transcode to their own format/codec on import.

3. NTSC is usually 720x480 (DV) or 720x486 (D1/Digibeta, etc). 720x460 is wrong and can cause the problems you mention. Just pick the preset in the New Comp dialog, and it will automatically go through to the file you export (unless you ask for something different).

• 2. Re: After Effects and Avid
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Joe, you are looking for simple answers where there can be none. As already mentioned, outputting for broadcast and DVD are different things and not necessarily the same, even more so on Avid systems. What you don't seem to realize, is that AE is only one part of the equation. You can do just as many things wrong in the Avid. For normal NTSC output, render 720x480 pixels, lower field first. Then use the exact same settings in the import dialog in the Avid. Depending on what compression and setting you use in your Avid project, this will either translate 1:1 or the system will add the missing 6 scanlines to be compliant with the classical full NTSC res. Avids can still use that while most other systems have let go of it. In any case, obeying this should avoid the wrong field imnterpretation and jaggies. As for OMF - as written in my other post - zero advantage. Assuming you use a current MC, your system will default to completely different compressions and it will store them as MXF containers, meaning, that even an OMF file would require conversion on import. If I recall correctly, only the 1:1 and 1:3 compression modes will generate any Avid OMF files at all, but even that is determined by how the files are captured. That aside, it's pretty much a moot point - today's system's are reasonably fast; it takes only seconds to import and convert any media type. People only would use OMF in the past, as it saved them from long import waits. Don't get me wrong - feel free to use the format, but there's no benefit and you even may have problems checking your intermediate files in Quicktime.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: After Effects and Avid
              Video100 Level 1

Hey

Thanks for the info. Got it on DVD vs Broadcast. Your Post recomends using 720 x 480 which is what I used and the quality on the Affter Effects looks great looks poor in Avid.

1. The previous post told ne NOT to use 720 x 480?????

2. Got it: Bottom line 720 x 480 input to Avid Render as QT Movie.

3. Shocks me how Bad CG Fonts look in Avid---Great in After Effects and I know my Avid Setting is close to correct.

4. Are you using Nitrus, Adreniline?? --- I'm using the first version Mojo---would this have much effect on what I'm seeing?

How much better would my Input --- Output Quality be on newer Mojo? I'm viewing everything off the Mojo to the monitor.

5. Thanks for the help----I'm new to this so I appreciate your patients. I know what you mean lots of templated to choose from just would like to see Broadcast quality and it all looks great in After Effects on my Hi Def Screen once its imported to Avid its def not Broadcast Quality but I'll check

Avid Settings.

Joe

Media Composer 3.5.1. Mojo first version

Due Core 4 G Mem  Dell Laptop HD Screen

• 4. Re: After Effects and Avid
                Video100 Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the information. Got it on DVD Quality.

1. Question for you-----Rather Than Author a DVD in Encore its easier to playback the Avid Project and Record it on a DVD Recorder.

2. Why go thru all the work and time in Authoring a DVD in Encore when I can record it Directly on a DVD Recorder???

3. Is the Quality a lot better if I Author the DVD in Encore?  IF it is I'll do it but it's extra steps, when I can playback right off the Avid no conversion

and record the project Directly to DVD.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

• 5. Re: After Effects and Avid

We use Adrenalines, but have been using an oilder Meridien systgem for eons and also had a Mojo system before. This should not matter much, though, the hardware mostly does the signal processing for capture and display on external monitors. As to why your type is looking bad - no clue, but perhaps you mess up the color levels. Some screenshots might reveal the truth.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: After Effects and Avid

Video104 wrote:

2. Why go thru all the work and time in Authoring a DVD in Encore when I can record it Directly on a DVD Recorder???

3. Is the Quality a lot better if I Author the DVD in Encore?  IF it is I'll do it but it's extra steps, when I can playback right off the Avid no conversion and record the project Directly to DVD.

People use authoring to control every aspect of the quality. When recording to a DVD recorder, you are dependent on the quality of the built-in chip that does the conversion, have limited choices in data rates, cannot control chapters en detail and may end up with ugly "extras" that some recorders add. If you just want to get something on DVD, it's still okay. We regularly do it/ did it to send our clients previews of their stuff. You do not have these limitations when doing software-based authoring, of course. Also, naturally, when you need multiple audio tracks, menus and subtitles at some point it becomes a necessity to do proper authoring...

Mylenium

• 7. Re: After Effects and Avid
                      Video100 Level 1

Thanks a lot appreciate the info.

Joe