8 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2009 12:11 PM by Paul_LS

Computer Screen Activity to Time Line

Phil.com Level 1

I'm doing a Public Access TV show on using Data Bases for our local library. I would like to capture what I do on the computer to the time line as part of the show. What is the best way to do that?

I thought of just pointing the camera at the screen but would that be very good quality. There are alot of input places on my computer but no out put except for the speakers and monitor.  There is an out put for a second monitor.

Thanks.

Cheers!  Phil.

• 1. Re: Computer Screen Activity to Time Line
          Paul_LS Level 4

Better to use something like Camtasia a screen capture software. You could try this free open source application CamSudio. It will capture your screen to an AVI file that you can edit in Premiere Elements:

http://camstudio.org/

• 2. Re: Computer Screen Activity to Time Line
            Phil.com Level 1

Thanks, that looks exactly what I wasw looking for.  I will download it and try it out.

Cheers!  Phil

• 3. Re: Computer Screen Activity to Time Line
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul_LS,

A question please: Camtasia uses the TechSmith CODEC's and some have had problems with these, especially in PrPro. Do you happen to know which CODEC's CamStudio uses? I could not find this out in the first 100 articles, that I got on Google, but maybe it was hidden in the fine-print someplace.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Computer Screen Activity to Time Line
                Paul_LS Level 4

Hi Hunt, there is a drop-down where you can choose from codecs installed on your computer, although all don't show up. Obviously the XVID and DivX codecs are to be avoided as they dont play well with Premiere Elements. I have not tried the CamStudio Lossless codec you can download on the same page.

• 5. Re: Computer Screen Activity to Time Line
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul_LS,

Thank you. I got the idea for CamStuido from one of your other posts. I was looking into Camtasia, but am still gathering info on the TechSmith CODEC's and PrPro (specifically, but also applies to PE). There seem to be unresolved issues. Had not even heard of CamStudio, until that earlier post of yours.

Just curious, as I'd like to freely and easily edit my captured Video in Premiere and there just does not seem to be a perfect program for the Capture, without an intermediate conversion. In the end, I should not be adverse to the conversion, as I do it for so much other material, but want to check everything out, before I spring.

I appreciate first, your mention of CamStudio, and next the info here.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Computer Screen Activity to Time Line
                    Phil.com Level 1

Well it is not working that well for me.  I get capture but it is blurry, even after rendering. You can't read the copy.  I tried the three codecs, Microsoft Video 1, Intel IYUV and Cinepack Codec by Radius from the drop down menu.

It was a nice suggestion but so far it does not work.

Cheers!  Phil

• 7. Re: Computer Screen Activity to Time Line
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

There are two "intermediate" CODEC's, that I use for other things. Each is a lossless CODEC (the files will be large, so be prepared for that), so quality is maintained, as much as is possible to capture.

Lagarith

HuffYUV

I have both installed on my systems, and they appear in my CODEC choices in all of my NLE's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Computer Screen Activity to Time Line
                        Paul_LS Level 4

The problem is the resolution... what is your screen resolution? Remember in PE7 it will be 720x480 for NTSC. If I record (Microsoft Video 1) and then play the video back full screen using Media Player Classic I can not tell that it is not the actual screen. If I play the video in a window then it is blurry. Same thing is happening in Premiere Elements.