17 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 8:57 PM by Jim_Simon

Driving me Bonkers - Faded output

Tyguy7

No matter what input format, output format, effect settings, etc I use, EVERY single video I export in Premiere cs4 looks FADED.  All the whites are gray.  It appears as if everything has had the brightness setting reduced by about 30%.  Its driving me absolutely bonkers, and after about 40 exports and 8 hours of noodling I need some help.  Here you can see the results.

examplevid.jpg

As you can see the output video, on the left, is dimmed, the source video on the right is not.  I have tried as many settings as I can seem to find in Premiere and tweaked them with no change.  I've tried h.264, raw, jpeg, yuv, cinepak, msvideo 1, etc... on both input and output videos.  No change.  What could possibly be doing this?!?!  I'm going nuts and I'm wasting hours and hours of worktime.

Someone PLEASE help!

• 1. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The formats you've tried may have been the culprit.

Where, specifically, is your input coming from?  Is it a still, a screan cap, a video?

And what, specifically, is your final delivery format?  Tape, DVD, web, computer playback, all of the above?

• 2. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
            Tyguy7 Level 1

I have tried with a still image, and with a screen capture.  The still was a png I believe, and the screen caps have been like 4 or 5 formats.  mov with h.264, jpeg 2000, avi uncompressed... i think also I tried ms video 1 and yuv.  My final delivery formay will be web.  I would like it to be a quicktime video in HD, I was thinking h.264, file size is not an issue, doesn't need to stream really.  Problem is that I've tried all the previously mentioned formats for output and then some others too.  I've even tried image sequences and they too are faded.  If it helps at all, in the preview window in premiere the video has its whites, and also in the preview window in adobe media encoder cs4.  The only point where it looks wrong is in the output video.

• 3. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
              Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

Things are still a bit too scattered.  What I'm looking for at this point is not so much what you have tried, but what you're trying to do.  For example "I need to create a software tutorial for the web", or "I want to edit some of my video game play and upload it to the web".  Let's start with just that basic data, and go from there.

• 4. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                Tyguy7 Level 1

Ok, well honestly I would like to use this program for more than this project, so lets just say "I would like to edit a video and have the colors remain correct when I export video".  Thats all I want.  In this particular project, I'm editing clips composed of a few 3d animations and screen captures to create a tutorial video for a website.  Later I'm hoping to use to to edit video from my DV cam.  Simple editing, clips and transitions.

I just tried 2 more fomats, "animation" and "graphics"  Both exaclty the same color fade.

I'm really convinced its a setting within Premiere or Media Encoder.  Does anyone know if there are settings or filters within those programs that would cause this?

• 5. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

What program are you using for the 3D animations?  For the screen caps?

• 6. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

One more question, and then I'm sure someone will start giving some answers: where and how are you judging the results of your Export, DVD RW on TV, on the computer monitor with a software DVD player, or in a player for the non-DVD files (which one(s)?

Hunt

• 7. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                      Tyguy7 Level 1

I have use camtasia and camstudio AND screentoaster for my input screen cap videos, although I think the format is the crucial piece of information, they are all (with the exception of screen toaster) using the codecs installed on my pc.  The 3d renderings I'm not sure because I didnt create them, but the format of the 3d renderings is quicktime mov h.264.

I'm judging the output from my video players on my pc.  i have windows media, quicktime player, and vlc.  they all display the same.  I don't need to put it on a tv because I'm not judging by my eyes, I'm comparing input and output video side by side.  You can see the difference in the above snapshot I posted.  In fact, I'll give you the html color difference between the original white and the output "white".

Original white is #ffffff and output white is #ededed.

I really strongly believe the problem has something to do with Premiere.  I can use virtualDub to edit video and output in the same formats and NOT get that greying effect.  Same codecs are being used.

• 8. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you.

For the Camtasia files, the TechSmith CODEC's are likely used. Do not know about the open source Camstudio, or ScreenToaster though.

Some folk have had issues with the TechSmith CODEC's in PrPro. Not sure exactly what they were.

My *guess* would be that PrPro is not working correctly with the CODEC's used. Players are nearly always much more lenient, that are NLE's. That VirtualDub does a nice job, might indicate that it DOES like the TechSmith (and other) CODEC's, better than PrPro.

I think that you've given folk enough to get started on. Hope that the answers start to flow in.

BTW - one more question: do you see this difference, when playing back your Timeline, or is it just after Export? You may have already answered that one earlier on, and if so - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

IIRC there is a problem with Quicktime with the 'greying' effect. Try another export format, not Quicktime and see if you can replicate it.

• 10. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                            Tyguy7 Level 1

Thanks for your help.

No I only see the change in the output files.  Everything looks good in the premiere preview window AND the little thumbnail in media encoder while its encoding.

Also, I haven't been importing camtasia's TechSmith CODEC, I export it to something more commong first.  ie, all those formats I listed before....

• 11. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

although I think the format is the crucial piece of information

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one.  Others have had issues using that software, primarilly because it does not record to any camera standard formats, which is what Premiere seems to like best.

The solution likely lies in your media and methods.  (You may have to change one, or both.)  I just don't work with that kind of media, however, so I will have to defer to others who may have had success in getting it working.

• 12. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                                Tyguy7 Level 1

is there some sort of screen profile that filters in between encoder input and output stages?  I have a compaq laptop.

• 13. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                                  Tyguy7 Level 1

HEY!  Good news!  I tried AVI, with NO comression at all, not uncompressed YUV, but "none" on the compression list, and the colors stayed correct!

It just looks awful and its 70mb for 2 seconds of video.

any suggestions?

• 14. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

An alternative might be Microsoft DV, which will save quite some space with hardly any discernable deterioration in quality.

Good that you found at least one way to resolve this. Quicktime again...

• 15. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted and have some decent output. Thanks for reporting, and hope that the rest goes smoothly.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                                        jonhand

Last week I had to prepare final Avid50 masters of 2 documentaries airing on my local PBS station. ALL of the Quicktime files rendered out of Adobe Media Encoder (thru Premiere Pro CS4) were not acceptable (horrible contrast alterations, resulting in DULL washed-out dynamic ranges: all the blacks were now dark grey, pure whites were gone). Absolutely horrible. I spent two full days experimentating with this crap, to no avail. If you render out any Quicktime format in Premiere CS4, the contrast ratios are altered...

Here was my solution. I rendered out my masters to AVI uncompressed in Premiere, then brought them into After Effects (CS4), and rendered that out to Quicktime Avid50 (and as a test, to Animation codec also). Absolutely perfect files-- no changing of anything. Perfect renders.

Lesson here. Quicktime is broken in Premiere CS4 and Media Encoder. Useless crap. But at least for now there is a workaround. This better be fixed in the upcoming update.

Good luck.

Jon R. Hand

Note: I shoot in HDV, and resize down in CS4 (with high quality turned ON). Renders take forever, but the output quality is so superior to CS3, that I would love to go back and redo ALL of my work in CS3. So here Adobe got it right and hit the high mark. If you're downscaling in CS3, you're wasting your time. CS4 downscaling is incredible, like night and day...  It's embarrasing now to view my CS3 masters.

• 17. Re: Driving me Bonkers - Faded output
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          Quicktime is...Useless crap.

Here, here!