9 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 7:55 PM by heathrowe

Indenting WHOLE paragraphs or lists

sharte

I am a Photoshop user trying out Fireworks CS4. So how do you mimic an HTML bulleted/ordered list with indentations? I see how you can have a first line indentation but not for the whole paragraph.

Very odd that a web oriented program like Fireworks can't do that or am I missing something? I know a work around is to paste the text from Illustrator which preserves the indentation, but that would be a hassle.

• 1. Re: Indenting WHOLE paragraphs or lists
          Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

Hi Sharte

You must edit your text manually to have identation at the whole paragraph. At fireworks you work on a canvas not a text document and is generally used to create graphics and prototyping for the web.

So, for a document that is going to be presented on the web, text editing should be done on an html editor such as dreamweaver and not in FW.

Use also the "properties"  and "special characters" panels to edit your text.

It's true that fireworks is specialized in web design and not writing. Programs like photoshop or illustrator give the ability for some more text editing than fireworks, considering that you may want to use them for printing.

• 2. Re: Indenting WHOLE paragraphs or lists
            sharte Level 1

Thanks Panos.

But I use the text editing tools in Photoshop not for print or prototyping but for comprehensive web/email NL mockups that later will be coded. It's important for the mockup to look exactly as it will when it's coded, text and graphics. So giving the look of an unordered list, as an example, is a common feature I can do much easier in Photoshop.

I like many of FW's tools but PS has it's own share that FW can't match. Just thought somebody had a better work around.

• 3. Re: Indenting WHOLE paragraphs or lists
              Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

It's true, photoshop is a more complete tool than fireworks. The good thing about fireworks is that it's  fast. You cannot create pages in any other program as fast and easy as in fireworks. And of course FWCS4, is the only one that exports css files, a very promising feature.

Whether fireworks suites you or not, it's up to you to decide.

thanks

• 4. Re: Indenting WHOLE paragraphs or lists
                Linda Nicholls Level 4

I like the text to look exactly as it will on the HTML page as well, therefore I do the text in Dreamweaver, make screenshots of it, and cut and paste them into my Fireworks mockup.

• 5. Re: Indenting WHOLE paragraphs or lists
                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

You can mix Paragraph Indents with the Character Panel 'bullets' to simulate it.

Also have a look at a recent extnsion on Fw Exchange, called LoremIpsum thats meant to Generate text as Paragraphs, Words, Lists [Plain / Bulleted / Numbered], Characters and a few other features.

h

• 6. Re: Indenting WHOLE paragraphs or lists
                    sharte Level 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The text I use needs to be editable, so copying from Ilustrator seems a better route and preserves all the formatting. But definitely an extra step.

heathrowe, the lists I commonly use are usually paragraph long not one liners. Also, your extension URL doesn't work, were you suggesting the Lorem Ipsum extension? Already downloaded that and it doesn't work to indent a paragraph.

I guess half a dozen of one (Photoshop) and half a dozen of another (Fireworks). A shame they haven't been combined for web design purposes. probably yet to come.

• 7. Re: Indenting WHOLE paragraphs or lists

No problem The link works fine for me.

Indeed it has it's limitations, why not use separate text blocks. Paragraph Indent on multiple lines work fine as long as the last word on the line does not touch the text block bounds.

Then insert choice of bullets as separate text blocks. Only takes a couple of seconds to do, and far less resource/time saving than having to rely on another program.

See attached.

• 8. Re: Indenting WHOLE paragraphs or lists
                        sharte Level 1

Thanks for your helpful response, heatherowe. Appreciate it.

I guess I am savy enought to know that you can break each line to utilize the "indent paragraph" feature. But seems really to me, to  be a clumsy work around. If Photoshop can do much better then why not Fireworks?

But don't all programs have their own work arounds? I have found Fireworks capable of features that are "workarounds" for Photoshop. Just trying to decipher if migrating to Fireworks is worth the effort. So far, design in PS then slice in Fireworks.

• 9. Re: Indenting WHOLE paragraphs or lists

No problem

Though I don't see it as 'workarounds', but more of capabilty features and knowing your way around them, and putting aside the visual differences between the applications.

They both do the same thing. An indent is an indent!!

Fw has a Character Panel, but with PS you have to know the unicode characters for list item input.

For me, from PS to Fw was worth the migration, and far more than just for slicing.

h