• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade to RoboHelp 8. Root.FPJ incorrectly modified!!!

Participant ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my RH 7 project to RH 8 and found out that the upgrade process messed up my root.fpj file. As you know, root.fpj is a file that lists all the files listed in the "root" folder of your project in an XML representation.

The upgrade is just supposed to change the value of attribute "majorversion" in the second line in the FPJ file and NOTHING ELSE.

RH7: <rhpml majorversion="2" minorversion="0">

RH8: <rhpml majorversion="3" minorversion="0">

But in my case, the upgrade wiped out several <topic> </topic> tags and reduced the file size of root.fpj from 200KB to 30KB! So very obviously, when I opened my project in RH8, there were hundreds of broken links!

If this happens to you, my suggestion (and what worked for me) is to replace the upgraded root.fpj file with the root.fpj file from RH7 and modify the value of attribute "majorversion" in the second line in the FPJ file to "3". Everything should be fine.

Hope this helps,

K

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds similar to a problem I saw after upgrading, when I renamed a project. Using Restore on the broken links had the same effect and might be easier for people who don't like to delve into these files.

Not sure why renaming caused the problem as it works just fine with other upgraded projects. It seems to have been a one off.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2009 Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Robohelp should have a restore all selection instead of having to restore each broken link indiviuallly. 

Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2009 Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix All sounds like a good idea.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Just a thought.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2011 Jan 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have discovered this same problem with several of our FPJ files : HTMs existing in the folder are removed from the FPJ file, both at the time of the RoboHelp 8 upgrade, BUT also before the upgrade using RoboHelp 6 (evidenced by review of check-ins in TFS).

The problem is very noticable after wiping the Windows XP system and installing Windows 7.  At the first attempted use, RoboHelp 8 seems to want to assume the FPJ is the golden boy and wants to delete existing HTMs from the folder (but missing from the FPJ) and from TFS 2010 source control.

Our attempt to repair the broken links from the RoboHelp 8 dialog files results in further and significant size reduction of the FPJ files.  What I mean by this is that the FPJ is throwing away more HTM files even as we are clicking to repair broken links.

Has anyone submitted this to Adobe and received a bug or reference number from them that our company might reference ?

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2011 Jan 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you not applied the 802 patch?

There's an announcement at the start page of this forum and you will find detailed instructions on my site under Opening Projects.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peter,

I did not notice that patches were available and proceeded to write a script to flag files present in the TFS source control but missing from the FPJs.  We manually repaired a couple FPJs, then applied both of the patches to the user's upgraded Windows 7 machine.

The user works on our help files at intervals and we will see if this resolves our issue or not.  She is now considering upgrading to version 9 before making new changes.

I found your website useful, especially the upgrade discussion.  Thanks for the input and pointing out the patches.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp