17 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 2:48 PM by Paul787

Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation

Drew Wrigley

I have been working with Premiere Elements for only about 1 week now.  I made a five minute movie with 4 songs, 20 AVI clips, and 20 photos.  I got the export to work with the share to PC option.  Then I created a title page and burned with Windows DVD maker.  It was a mother's day present for my wife.  She loved it!

My problem is everytime I try the Share to disc option in Premiere, I get the blue screen of death - page fault in nonpaged area.  Its really frustrating.  I've tried the tips I've found on the forum:  the latest attempt was to try a simple project with a single AVI clip - it blue screened too.

This is a brand new PC (received May 1), and movie making was one of the reasons.  It is an HP, Intel i7 2.6 GHz, 6GB RAM, Vista 64 bit.  The DVD burner was the standard HP one, my PC says all drivers are up to date...Anyone have a tip?

Thanks,

Drew

• 1. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
          Kodebuster Level 3

I'm running a similiar hardware config from HP, mine is an i7Core @ 3.00 ghz with Vista-64 (got it May 7).

Running the new image out of the box, I then ran all Windows and HP updates to completion.

Then did a PE7 install, without Quicktime installed, I was able to Burn-to-Disc a DV-AVI with no issues.

I'm assuming you tried disabling 3rd party stuff (like Roxio, or Norton, or something you added to the base image).

To eliminate a hardware issue with the Burner, try burning with Windows Movie Maker.

Also, if you can Burn-To-Folder within PE, you can use Cyberlink to Burn a video DVD (Cyberlink should come pre-installed, or with a Disc install on all HP V-64 systems. I'll look, but I don't think Roxio came on my System. Roxio can sometimes be the issue with burns).

You should not need a Driver Update for the Burner, if it's a hardware issue with the Burner, then the above should show this.

(All HP V-64 systems are tested in house with PE7 and should run out of the box. HP sell's PE7 online as a software add on with all V-64 systems).

If push comes to shove, backup all user data, use F11 to Restore to Factory Image, run Win and HP Updates, install PE7, and the Burner should start spinning.

Post any results...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Drew,

What are your Windows Virtual Memory settings? The error message indicates the Paged/Non-Paged Memory *might* be an issue.

Besides the settings on your Virtual Memory, what is your I/O sub-system setup? By that, I mean how many physical drives do you have, and their specifications? How are you using them, i.e. Disk 0 for OS and programs only, Disk 1 for Virtual Memory (static, or dynamic), Disk 2 for Media, and so on? Do you have any of your HDD's partitioned? Where are your PE Scratch Disks located (Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks)?

It sounds like something is acquiring a memory address (I'm thinking Virtual Memory first, and not RAM, based on the error), and not properly reporting it to the OS. Then, when the OS tries to use, what it *thinks* is free address space, it finds that something else already has it locked up. This could be a poorly written program, a device driver, almost anything. Here is a LINK, that might offer some tips. Follow the additional link to "The Case of the Unexplained." Sit back get a big cup of coffee and watch. It's long, but is filled with some very interesting tips on trouble-shooting memory issues. BTW, the tips in the rest of Harm's article, plus some of the discussion that follows, is good too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
              Kodebuster Level 3

My HP Model is m9600t.

Roxio does not come pre-installed on this config, so that is not the culprit.

Sometimes Roxio will grab the Burner and PE will have issues on Burn-to-Disc...

• 4. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                Drew Wrigley Level 1

Hunt and Kodebuster,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Good news and bad news.  I got the burner to work with 1 avi file, 1 still image, and 1 song.  But I couldn't get it to work with my original project.

Here is what happens.

1. In my big project, I click Share, then Disc, and it blue screens immediately. It will do this over and over again.

2. So then I create a new project, add a couple files, click Share, then Disc, and it works!

3. So I go back to my big project, and now the response is a little different.  I click Share, then Disc, and it encodes the data.  Then it switches to "Burning", and it blue screens within 10 seconds.

After careful consideration, I am ready to cry UNCLE.  Like I said before, I got my original project to burn with Windows DVD maker.  There just seems to be too many possibilities to check, and my wife is starting to feel like a single mom!

Kodebuster, I also have the m9600t.

Hunt, maybe I should invest in another hard drive or 2 if I want to get serious about this.  Especially now, these blue screens seem to take their toll!

Thanks again!

Drew

• 5. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Before you do anything else, take a long look at your Event Viewer. Check out the System and the Applications tabs. You should have some error messages with yellow markers and some with red marker. Read each one carefully. Follow any/all links that are provided. There may be links within links and it could be important that you follow all.

With BSOD's, you almost certainly have a problem at either the system, or the OS level. Even Viewer *should* help you start to sort things out. There WILL be a lot of data, mostly in hex, and no one knows what that stuff means - not even MS. It's the links, that will possibly help you track it down.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Anyone had this before?  Is this a memory problem or a "cdrom" problem?

That is a good question. It appears to indicate a problem in the I/O sub-system. This is at the most basic level, one's HDD's, though does include all elements in the Input/Output chain, hence I/O. Now, with the process of Burning, there are two different sets of operations, directly involving the HDD's: the Windows Virtual Memory and the Buffer Files for the Burning of the DVD/CD. Both are in the domain of I/O. If either one is failing, I would *imagine* that one could get a failure. Which is it? I'm not smart enough to know.

Considering the differences between those two uses of the I/O system, I would assume that a failure with the Buffer Files would yield a failed Burn and maybe some error messages. While a failure in the Page File should generate errors too, I could see where it could be catastrophic. Durning a Burn, the system is pretty heavily taxed - many still recommend doing NOTHING else, while Burning. I could see the possibility for a BSOD, if Windows is denied use of and access to, the Page File. Fortunately, Windows includes a little program, Dr Watson. It monitors operations of the computer. You might find something in its log file. Also, please give the full settings on your Virtual Memory management in Windows.

Now, I/O errors can come in the form of software (things like the Page File and memory addresses), and hardware like HDD failures, controller errors and the like. I'd run CHKDSK on your HDD's - reboot should be required to allow for this to access the HDD's. Depending on the size and number of your HDD's, plan on doing something else for an hour. Does the CHKDSK log/window show anything? If not, you have only invested the hour+/- and nothing has been harmed in the process.

Next, I'd set Windows to NOT reboot on errors. This will keep your BSOD up on the screen, rather than reboot, when it occurs. Make note of everything that is on the BSOD. Most will be more of that cryptic "stuff," that not even Leonardo di Vinci could decypher, but there might be a useful "gem" in there someplace. Remember to reset Windows to the reboot on errors setting, if you get some of these. All you probably need will be the info from 1-2 BSOD's. Did you find anything on that BSOD?

Don't remember if I posted this LINK in this thread. If so, pardon me. If not, read though it, and follow the link to "The Case of the Unexplained." Grab a cup of coffee, sit back and watch the video. About 1/2 way through, start taking notes on the applications to launch and to download (from the MS site, IIRC, for each of these). MS offers a lot in the way of diagnostic applications. A few ship with Windows, and many more are available for download. Maybe a combo of a few of these will lead you to the exact cause - and I can quit speculating and guessing. I hope that we can find the cause of your problems, before you have to go through these diagnostics. While neat tools, the process can be involved, as the video indicates. I'm basically lazy and like to find answers via the shortest path. However, it is nice to know that there are still some other "paths" to take, if the solution is not readily at hand.

Good luck, and I hope that the answer is right there in front of us, and easy to fix.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                      Kodebuster Level 3

Drew, with a brand new system, the possiblity always exists that it's a hardware issue and Hunt's direction would be appropriate (as always).

The (relatively) good news is it is under Warranty and the vendor is obligated to address if that is the case.

My concern on a possible HW issue with a Burn is that Movie Maker works with no problems on Burn, so that leaves me suspicious. But I've also learned to never, say never.

Regarding your large Project that fails on Burn, specifically the AVI and Photo assets, can you give some details on the source of these video files and the Photos.

As a test, you can convert (Export) this Project to DV-AVI within PE, then import this DV-AVI back into a new Project.

Try burning this new Project and post your results.

The success or failure of this may help narrow the issue.

Good Luck...

• 9. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                        Kodebuster Level 3

Regarding a hardware sanity check for HP on Storage/Hard Drives/DVD Burner, you can perform the following:

Launch the HP Total Care Advisor application.

If it's not on your Desktop, it's in your Icon Tray, or can be found under Start/All Programs/HP.

Click on the blue ?PC Help Icon.

When the Dialog Box launches, select "Troubleshooting Tools", another Dialog Box, then "Hardware Diagnostic Tools".

When this app launches, you will see a selection for Storage and the various devices on your System (HDD Drives, DVD Burner, etc.).

Run the appropriate diags to completion for a sanity check.

If they complete successfully, chances are your hardware is okay and we need to look elsewhere.

If not successfull, it's time to open a Trouble ticket with HP, and persue the diagnostic error message with them.

Hope this helps...

• 10. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                          Drew Wrigley Level 1

Thanks Hunt.

I'll give it a shot!

Here are my virtual memory settings:

Total paging file size for all drives: 9216 MB.

Initial size: 9216

Max size: 18432

I will post results when I have them.

Drew

• 11. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Total paging file size for all drives: 9216 MB

Is the Page File split over all of your drives, or located on just one HDD? It appears to be static, rather than dynamically managed. For NLE work, many find the static Page File to improve things enough to take the management out of Windows' hands.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                              Drew Wrigley Level 1

Hi Kodebuster,

Kodebuster wrote:

Drew, with a brand new system, the possiblity always exists that it's a hardware issue and Hunt's direction would be appropriate (as always).

The (relatively) good news is it is under Warranty and the vendor is obligated to address if that is the case.

My concern on a possible HW issue with a Burn is that Movie Maker works with no problems on Burn, so that leaves me suspicious. But I've also learned to never, say never.

Regarding your large Project that fails on Burn, specifically the AVI and Photo assets, can you give some details on the source of these video files and the Photos.

As a test, you can convert (Export) this Project to DV-AVI within PE, then import this DV-AVI back into a new Project.

Try burning this new Project and post your results.

The success or failure of this may help narrow the issue.

Good Luck...

I tried this, and it burned fine after the export.  Interesting!

All the video and most of the pictures in the project are from a Cannon Powershot S2 IS.  Some of the photos are from an older camera, but I can't remember the make.

Thanks!

Drew

• 13. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                                Kodebuster Level 3

Okay, that is good news for sure...

I'm not familiar with the Cannon Powershot, but what I do know is that PE works extremely well with the DV-AVI format.

I suspect that the Video files, and Photos not being optimized for PE, are in play with your Burn issue.

(Another problem area could have been gaps anywhere on the timeline for audio or video).

If you adjust your workflow for assets to DV-AVI and optimize the photos, your experience with PE should see a dramatic improvement.

Review these two (2) FAQ's for details:

For DV-AVI:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

For optimizing photos:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

Good Luck...

• 14. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                                  Paul787 Level 3

Is there a possibility that Drew's difficulties might be coming from the video files from his digital camera? The Canon Powershot S2 IS records video in the M-JPEG AVI format. I have a Canon digital still camera and the M-JPEG AVI video files from it gave me no end of troubles (though different from Drew's) in Premiere Elements until I purchased the appropriate codec for it. After that, video files from the Canon worked flawlessly to edit and burn.

• 15. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It definitely could be, Paul!

That's why, codec or not, we recommend in our FAQs using Windows MovieMaker to convert video from still camera to DV-AVIs before you bring them into Premiere Elements.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 16. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I could not agree more. Since PrPro & PE are based on a DV-AVI Type II workflow, I always use some tool to convert to that, before Import. I have both the Morgan and the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC's, and while PrPro will use them to edit, things can get wonky in a hurry. There is no shame attached to doing a conversion outside of Premiere. It simplifies what the NLE has to do internally, robbing resources, time and often playability of the material from the Timeline.

Windows Movie Maker, CyberLink Power Director, Magix Movie Edit, DigitalMedia Converter, et al, are just tools to help one get their material into Premiere. Actually, that was the very reason that I bought a copy of PE - to help get more files and file-types into PrPro, which is even more strict about formats and CODEC's. One can never have too many specialized "tools" in the old toolbox.

With the wide-sprad proliferation of HD formats and CODEC's, things are not as simple, as with SD material. However, the current generation of NLE's and conversion tools handle much of it. The next generation will be even better. However, by then, there will be even more and newer CODEC's! It is a vicious, and never-ending cycle.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Blue Screen of Death during DVD creation
                                        Paul787 Level 3

Being partly of Irish descent, I would be being wasteful if I didn't use the codec I paid $10 for as much as possible.

Since I bought a miniDV camcorder with its DV-AVI files, I agree though in that I've never had a problem in importing, editing or burning.

Hope you get your issue solved soon Drew. PRE is a very good program.