7 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2009 10:18 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Alignment in AE

Uniclue.no Level 1

Hellois boys n girls.

Im more of a Photoshop user than a After effects user, and what I miss in AE is an alignment tool.

If I have a picture i want to place on a stage, how can I be sure it is totaly centered?

I cannot find this in Ae. Can someone assist me?

• 1. Re: Alignment in AE
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There is an Align&Distribute palette, you know. Open it, and you're good to go. Note, that it works strictly on layers, so for centering, you may wish to add a solid that matches your composition size which would act as the reference.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Alignment in AE
            Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

There are many ways to achieve what you want.

If you drag around a layer while pressing Control + Shift (Win) or Command + Shift (Mac), you'll see the layer will snap to significative points like horizontal center, vertical center and comp edges. So you can drag until you find the Comp center in this way. It does take a bit of practice to get it right.

Another trick is go to the Layer > Transform > Position dialog (Control + Shift + P), and you'll see there's a "Units" pull-down menu. While the position property always uses pixels internally, you can pick another unit in that menu and AE will convert to pixels. Choose "% of composition" and type 50, 50 and AE will translate that into the right pixel values for Comp center.

AE also has an Align panel, but it's for aligning and distributing a range of layers. It doesn't do alignment to Comp center or boundaries.

Edit: Evidently the forum system didn't like the way I typed the name of the shift key

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Alignment in AE
              Uniclue.no Level 1

Thank you so much!

• 4. Re: Alignment in AE
                Uniclue.no Level 1

Thanks. But I still think that After effects should have/needs a "align to stage function".

• 5. Re: Alignment in AE

Don: to have an Align to Stage feature you would first need something called a Stage

But I am just teasing you. "Stage" is really Flashspeak. It's called Composition (and Compostion panel) in AE terms.

I understand what you want, and I think the AE team is very aware of why this would be convenient.

• 6. Re: Alignment in AE
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's also the Center In View command. The shortcut is Ctrl+Home (Windows) or Command+Home (Mac OS).

• 7. Re: Alignment in AE

Of course! I forgot about that one! It's new in CS4.