3 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2009 3:17 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Using Graph camera Z without effectinhg X and Y

Leiski

Hi

I'm currently in the middle of a project and I'm pulling my hair out over controlling the path of a 3D camera. I want to have the camera move back at a constant speed and then get it to move smoothly with acceleration to the left and then the right (X plane) but without effecting the Z motion. When I try and edit the movement in the graph editor I don't seem to be able to create key frames for the X plane without also creating them for the Y and Z.

Am I doing something wrong or should I be going about this in a different way?

Many thanks for any help you can give on this.

regards,

Leigh

• 1. Re: Using Graph camera Z without effectinhg X and Y
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Your prayers have been answered

In After Effects CS4, you can select the position property and go to Animation > Separate dimensions. This will split position XYZ into three separate positon properties. There's also a button for the same operation in the the Graph Editor. Even better, you can join them back together if at some point you decide to do so. Bear in mind that there are some prices you pay when you separate dimensions. Motion paths are way less flexible, and you can't rove keyframes across time. Both things go against the notion of separate XYZ. I think by providing now both ways (joined or separate XYZ position) AE offers the best of each.

If you have a previous version, there's a workaround - you can apply the Separate XYZ position animation preset in the Transform preset category. It will create an effect with separate sliders for X, Y and Z, which internally drive the position property with expressions. It's not as convenient as the new, proper implementation in CS4, of course.

• 2. Re: Using Graph camera Z without effectinhg X and Y
            Leiski Level 1

Hi Aldolfo,

Thank you so much for your help. Unfortunately I'm running CS3 and for some reason I don't seem to be able to apply the Separate XYZ Position preset to a camera. I get the error

After Effects warning: Function Effect is undefined

Expression Disabled

Error occurred in line 1

Comp: 'New Middle'

Layer: 1 ('camera 3')

Property: 'Position'

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance,

Leigh

• 3. Re: Using Graph camera Z without effectinhg X and Y
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Sorry, Leigh.

Create a Null object.

Make it a 3D layer.

Apply the preset to the Null.

Parent the camera to the Null.

Use the sliders in the custom effect to animate.