19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 10:42 PM by Jennifer Elkan

Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help

Lance Lewis

I have been a premier uses for the past 8 years.  Ever since using CS4 I have had a problem with the project regenerating the PEK files.  When Cs4 was on my laptop, it would only do this some of the time...not all of the time.  I thought it was a resource issue with the laptop.  Now I have a new HP desktop running 12 gig of ram, the I7 920 processor, and a gig video card.  CS4 regenerates the pek files everytime we open the project.  In the project we use the multi-cam feature to mix down the footage from the three cameras.  We also have two additional audio files (a tap mic and a line feed).  The project and files are loaded on an external USB drive.  Any help in understanding why this happens and more importantly, what I can do to make it not happen in the future would be greatly appreciated.  Please keep the following in mind:

1)  I am aware that many people here feel using USB drives is no good.  I have done it for 8 years with nothing more than minor issues that are easily resolved with a reboot.  I still use usb (and firewire drives) on my win xp machine running cs2 with a matrox rtx100 card and that system has always done well...and it has never reconformed audio or pek files.

2) I have tried the saving the project on drives other than the same drive that the source files are on...and this doesn't make a difference...still regenerates pek files.

Thanks!

Lance

• 1. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Your USB drive is a removable drive and as such the OS flags them as such and therefore Premiere automatically flregenerates these files.  Get your PEK files on an internal drive and the problem should go away.  Incidentally, if you used an eSATA external drive this would not happen.  When you say you have tried it on other drives (you mention FireWire) are they removable also?

• 2. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
            Lance Lewis Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I have tried keeping the pek files on an internal drive...but I think what I will do is delete all conformed and pek files and reconform and regenerate all files fresh on an internal and see if this makes the difference.

Again, in CS2 I have never had to regenerate pek files, even though all files were on external drives.  And in CS4, even though all files have been on externals....I only have some projects that need to regenerate....and even some projects that only regenerate pek files some of the times...not all of the times?????

Lance

• 3. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

From personal observation, I've not had this issue, when I edit to/from externals, and even move from machine to machine. Three things though:

1.) externals' drive letter is set exactly the same in the OS of each machine, i.e. Z:\ always shows as Z:\ on each machine.

2.) externals are all FW-800

3.) I'm only using CS2 Production Studio

I've seen several posts on this behavior in the CS4 forum. My observations are probably moot, as I am not on CS4. I'm only reporting that with my externals, as above, I have never encountered the re-Conformation issue.

Maybe something in my setup is eliminating the problem, or maybe it's Pr version-specific, as per Lance's observation. Posting this for information only. No cure promised.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                Lance Lewis Level 1

Hunt,

I agree, I have not had these issues in the environment that you stated.  I still run a machine with CS2 on it and don't have this issue.  I have never used CS3...but as soon as I started using CS4...this issue of regenerating PEKs came up.

Lance

• 5. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Lance,

I'm sure that you've looked at some of the CS4 threads on the Re-Conforming Audio. IIRC, there are several. I believe that the Premiere-wiki has a FAQ, but could not locate it.

BTW, you don't have a Matrox RTX2 card, do you?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                    Lance Lewis Level 1

Hunt,

Yes I spent an hour combing the threads here and other places (creative cow, etc...).  I read somewhere that perhaps an external drive causes the problem...but again, no problem with CS2....just CS4...and only sometimes in CS4....so why sometimes???  What can I do to avoid it????  I am still experimenting with my project trying to isolate when it happens and when it doesn't.  I have also read that it could be an issue with using nested sequences....and since this project has a multi-cam timeline in it...that might be the case.  Another possible thing is that I renamed four of the audio files after they were conformed (I renamed them in Premiere, not on the hard drvies).  My thought is that it could be that the code in Premiere that checks the names of files doesn't communicate those names to the code that tells it if the pek files are missing or present.  Another thought that I just had is that maybe if I use computer management in Vista to assign a letter to the external drive instead of it being a default letter...maybe that will allow Premiere to see it all the time....in my CS2 system...all the drives are always re-lettered through computer management before working on a project (that's because at any given time I have 14 different external HD....when I work on a project, I load up the two or three that I need, assign the letters, and go on my way).

I have the old RTX100 card....not the RTX2.

Lance

• 7. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

I believe that the Premiere-wiki has a FAQ, but could not locate it.

The Premiere Pro FAQ is here.

Everything the wiki has about conforming is in the Conforming category.

Cheers
                      Eddie

• 8. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                        Lance Lewis Level 1

Eddie,

Thanks for locating that.  The following could point to something that I was thinking it could be:

"Adobe Premiere Pro does not conform a file that was conformed in one sequence when you import it into another sequence with the same audio sample rate, so long as you haven’t moved or renamed the file since it was conformed. Adobe Premiere Pro keeps the location of the conform files for all files it has conformed in the Media Cache Database."

Nothing else in the links you provided appears to relate.  The above only partially makes sense, because the audio is not re-conforming...it's just the PEK files.  And it is the PEK files for all audio...not just the audio files that I have renamed in Premiere.

Lance

• 9. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I wondered about the Matrox card, because I kept finding it in the articles, that came up. Hm-m-m. Most mentioned the RTX2, but who knows?

Good luck, and I'm really glad to see that Eddie posted the link from the wiki. That was one that I was missing.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Things changed in CS4 with regard to .pek files.  The short answer here is to use the checkbox keep them in the same folder as the media files, and keep the media files on an internal drive.

• 11. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                              Lance Lewis Level 1

Jim,

"The short answer here is to use the checkbox keep them in the same folder as the media files, and keep the media files on an internal drive."

If this is the case, Adobe has seriously missed the boat.  How many of us have external drives that we prefer to store our media on?  If this is true, it's exactly like the fact that they totally missed up "export bitmap" in CS4....good luck exporting a single frame....we have to trick it into doing just one frame.  The past paradigm....as taught in adobe seminars by adobe certified professionals was to have three drives.  1 system drive, 1 drive for all of your previews, project files, etc, and one media drives for your assets.  Firewire was the preferred method, but usb got acceptable results.  I am editing in SD on a cranked up system (see above), system runs fine....except regenerating PEK files which, if you are implying that CS4 will always do this with external drives is just a complete faux pa on Adobe's part.  Just my opinion.

Lance

• 12. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                The past paradigm...was to have three drives.  1 system drive, 1 drive for all of your previews, project files, etc, and one media drives for your assets.

That's still a good minimum, just make sure they're all internals.

Adobe has seriously missed the boat.

Though I'm a definite fan overall of the new version, not everything about CS4 is an improvement.  Single frame export and Scratch disk handling are two good examples.  Once again, Adobe 'fixed' something that wasn't broken.

• 13. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                                  Lance Lewis Level 1

Jim,

I agree....for the most part I LOVE CS4.  For me, the best improvement was the way that premiere and encore work together.  This has been a huge time saver for me and the way that we have our workflow set up.

RESOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM IN MY ORIGINAL POST:  I knew that there must be a resolution to this problem with CS4 regenerating the pek files.  I found it really hard to believe that editing with external drives was a thing of the past.  The solution was quite simple.  All you have to do is make sure that you use "computer manager" to assign specific drive letters to the external drives that you are using.  Don't let windows just see a drive and assign it any letter.  This explains why sometimes I had problems with my laptop and sometimes I didn't.  When I get a new external drive, I assign it a letter.  During the initial formatting of that drive, I call it that name (i.e.  DRIVE N).  I have many, many, many external drives of all shapes, sizes, and capacities, so I uniquely label each.  Then when I move from one computer to another, the drive always gets the same letter assigned to it (through computer manager).  But on my laptop, I occassionaly would use a drive that would automatically come in as the correct letter...so I never had to "assign" it.  With the new computer I recently bought (see first post), I never assigned any external drives any letters....I just let the computer do the assigning...and I had trouble with the pek files right off the bat.  After renaming the drives...now, no problems.

Thanks for everyone's help...and it would have been nice if Adobe would have printed this somewhere (although now that I have the solution, it's quite possible that this is really an issue with the way that Vista handles it external drives internally (no pun intended).

Lance

• 14. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Lance,

Your advice on the disc management in the OS is good, and so often overlooked. It always can stand to be re-stated.

I, like you, do some editing to/from externals, and swap these between my laptop and workstation. I have each external's drive letter assignation set the same. When I take Z:\ from the laptop, it's always Z:\ on the workstation. Same for all of the rest.

Thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                                      Jennifer Elkan Level 1

Just curious as to what OS you're all running.  I can't evade this problem and I'm wondering if it's due to me using Vista 64.

• 16. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help

I am running all three (XP32, Vista 64 and Win 7 64) and do not have that problem.

• 17. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help
                                          Jennifer Elkan Level 1

The only time I seem to have the problem is when I upload a new tape.  Once I do that Premeire decides to remake all the files.

• 18. Re: Reconforming Pek Files everytime I open Project...please help

Where are you storing your media cache files?