13 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2009 4:55 PM by Michelmnr

PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?

Michelmnr Level 1

Usually I have no trouble to export my time line as a movie to get an AVI file. I just finished a project and when I try to export it, It renders nearly 100% then give me a short message that my disk is full. I tried two different location on my pc, on one HD with 121 gb free, and the other about half of this. My time line has only 20 min edit on it. I don't get it. thank you in advance for any suggestions

MM

• 1. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
          Michelmnr Level 1

I need to add that it takes about 3 minutes to rendered and when it gets around 95 % the message pops up.

"error compiling disk full"

• 2. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

PPro is likely running out of temporary disk space. Free up as much space as you can on your C: drive.

Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I am with Eddie on this one. Besides your output file (what you Export), PrPro creates a lot of other files along the way. It differs by CODEC and format, but there are plenty. Some linger, after creation (.CFA's and .PEK's come to mind, as do Render files), and some disappear, once used. Couple these with perhaps a dynamic Page File and HDD real estate can run out in a hurry.

I'd look at doing a bunch of housekeeping. Archive and remove any old Projects. Put your un-used media files on an external. Things like that. You can never have too much available defragged, free space with Video work.

Give PrPro more room to do what it needs to do, and I'll bet that your Export completes, like it used to.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
                Michelmnr Level 1

Thanx guys, but with 121 gb of free space this still amazes me. So I look again at the temp storage and house keeping. Another thing I don't understand too well is that after editing the way I wanted (and it plays correctly) is that many of my videos audios are out of synch. (with the little + and - in red near the handle) I tried to move it back into synch. but it makes a mess with blanc spaces. Could this interfer with the export?

Thank you ( I'm a little worry about saying this as I feel I'm probably  doing some "no no" things with my editing!) Shame though 'cause I got the result i wanted, till the export!.

Thanks again MM

• 5. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please provide the details asked for in reply #2. It really will help us help you.

Cheers
                  Eddie

• 6. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's my shot in the dark.

Most external drives come formatted as FAT32, which does have a file size limitation.  So even though there might be 121 GB free, any single file can't be over a certain size, and if Premiere tries to create one that's bigger, you'll get the disk full error.

The solution is to format all drives as NTFS.

• 7. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Though it does not address the "how" and "why," one tip that you might want to use, when dealing with OOS issues is to first zoom in on your Timeline, and to also turn Snap OFF. Then, nudging an Audio Clip (Alt-click on the Audio Clip to temorarily unlink it from the Video Clip) will be a lot easier. Remember to turn Snap back ON, for additional editing.

Eddie's question is to address the "how," and the "why" part, and you answers will probably go a long way to resolution there. Most likely, some nudging was done to either the Audio, or the Video, by Alt-clicking on one, or the other. It happens, even to the pros. They forget exactly what they are doing, and suddenly - OOS. Oops! That was not exactly what they wanted to do. It is possibly a workflow issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Another very good possibility, and an astute observation. Most externals will allow for "Conversion" with a Windows Convert CMD-prompt string. This will allow the files to be completely retained. Some, however, can only be converted with their own utility, and then they have to be re-formatted, thus requiring ALL data to be backed up before hand, and then replaced on the newly-reformatted HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
                          Michelmnr Level 1

(copy of my email reply)

Thanks Eddie,

I just just re-installed PP2 suite (and everything else) on a newly bought terabyte hd, My scratch disk shows 121 gb.

I looked at the link below you provided me, it's very daunting for me but will attempt the part I understand. Meanwhile  I exported my sequence as DVD  on  a hd folder and strangely enough got most of it but the end (perhaps 3mins. out of 20.) and ended with a mpg file a little over 1gb.  Perhaps this is the trouble spot as my Movie export did stop around 95-98% with the "disk full" msg.

I also did a little cleaning up with the out of Synch. clips using the method that also Bill suggested  in the thread. separating audio from video and trimmed either as suited and so without blanc spots. I thought the suggestion of my hd formatted as Fat 32 would actually be the problem, and my next move would have been to export it in one of my NTFS partition But with my new cleaned up timeline it exported like a charm a 3.5 GB avi file!

So perhaps it was my messy editing.

I work with 2 X19" benq screens and a dual core pentium 2.8,  4gb ram Gigabyte RadeonX300,  Now 3 internal hd 80, 300 and 1000 gb. but the 80 was my old C drive (not yet removed till I'm sure I got all I want out of it).

With PP2 I use Pal system with all my directory in C:/ (Fat 32) because it's the largest partition.

I do thank you all with all your suggestions that will continue to help me in the future anyway

I was going to reply through the forum thinking that here was not a good idea as you're all busy enough with the forum, but saw the opposite advice at the end of this email that recommends to reply the email. I hope it's correct because I can't see the square-bracketed text in the Subject line (I'm using Gmail)

(Well my email did not show up here so I pasted it,  I asked Jim S how you get a reply function in a thread forum, but now realised I was not logged in and so did not get that function - That what happens when you restart from scratch with your system, I used to be signed on all the time!)

MM

• 10. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
                            Fred Mann Level 1

As mentioned above, the FAT32 might be the problem.  It allows a max file size of 2GB.  So, either change your C: to a NTFS partition, or devide the output in smaller chunks.  If you have a NTFS partition, direct the output, and the location of the render files to it.

Fred

• 11. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
                              Michelmnr Level 1

Thank you Fred, I replied your email (your post here) last night and as my previous post I can't see the content here as I thought I should. ?

Regards MM

• 12. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                the 80 was my old C drive (not yet removed till I'm sure I got all I want out of it).

I'd leave it in.  The C: drive doesn't need to be big, and in fact should be small.  You don't want to put anything on it but Windows and programs.  Having a big C: drive is just a waste of space.

Use the 80 as the System drive, put Projects, Scratch and Exports on the 300, and use the 1000 only for Media.

• 13. Re: PP cs2 Export as movie - no go?
                                  Michelmnr Level 1

Thank you Jim, I did reply the corresponding email but as mentioned b4 I can't see the result here. Also, I'm not too sure  how to deal with "question being answer",  is this pertaining to my main queery or the particular part of the discussion where I click "reply". Just the same, all I got here was certainly helpfull

Best regards, Michel