2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2009 10:23 AM by luv2bike2nv

issue with opening pdf file from web browser

luv2bike2nv

I have Acrobat Pro ver 6 and Adobe Reader 9.1 on a computer.  when my user tries to open up a pdf from the web he is getting the following error message:

"The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running can not be used to view PDF files in a WEb Browser.  Adbe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required.  Please exit and try again."

What also happens is that Acrobat Pro ver 6 opens up and nothing is there.

I am not sure why he is getting that message since Reader 9.1 is installed.

Can any one shed some light on this for me.

This user needs to have Acrobat and Reader on his system.  I understand that there are issues with having both.

Also he has it set up so that any PDF is opening using the Reader 9.1.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: issue with opening pdf file from web browser
          StriderMatic Level 1

Your PC's default reader configuration for embedded PDFs has become confused, due to multiple Adobe PDF document solutions installed on one PC.

Solution 1:

Go to Start > Run

Type regedit and click OK.

Browse to the following key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe

Make sure that the correct Default data value is set for the path where Adobe Reader or Acrobat are installed.

The default installation values are:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"

or

"C:\Program Files\adobe\acrobat 6.0\acrobat\Acrobat.exe" (not sure about this path.  Check on your PC to be sure)

depending on whether Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat is installed.

Solution 2:

Configure the browser to use Acrobat or Adobe Reader as a helper application.

If you are using Firefox to browse the web, you can change this setting in Firefox by going to:

Tools > Options

Click on the "Applications" Tab.

The first item in the list should be "Adobe Acrobat Document".  Under the Action list, click the drop down arrow and select the application you want to read PDFs within the web browser.  Click OK, and you should be done.

If you're using Internet Explorer to view PDFs, try the below steps.

After you configure Acrobat or Adobe Reader as a helper application, the browser starts the helper application in a separate window and displays PDF files within that window. Acrobat and Adobe Reader both include a preference that lets you specify Acrobat or Adobe Reader as the helper application.

To configure Acrobat or Adobe Reader as a helper application:
          Start Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
          Choose Edit > Preferences.
          Select Internet on the left.
          Deselect Display PDF In Browser Using [Acrobat application], and then click OK.
          Quit Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
          The next time you select a link to a PDF file in the browser, a dialog box asks what you would like to do with the file. If you select Open It, the browser opens the PDF file in Acrobat or Adobe Reader (the helper application); if you select Save It To Disk, the browser saves the PDF file to your hard drive.

• 2. Re: issue with opening pdf file from web browser
            luv2bike2nv Level 1

Thank you very much!  The first solution worked.  The user is very happy.