10 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2009 10:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Camera/PE7 compatibility

Eddie Ostrowski Level 1

Planning to purchase a Canon Vixia HF S100 camcorder. Would like to use Adobe Premiere Elements 7 as NLE. Would a product such as VoltaicHD http://shedworx.com/voltaichd (Windows platform) be necessary for this camera/PE7 combination to work? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Camera/PE7 compatibility
          Paul_LS Level 4

Nice camcorder. Adobe introduced AVCHD support with PE7 so you can edit your files directly within PE7. However AVCHD is a resource hog and you will need a quad core or very fast dual core to have a satisfactory editing experience. If you have a "lesser" processor then you will need to convert to another format. I think AVCHD Upshift is better than VoltaicHD. I tried it and did not have too much luck... you can convert to either HD WMV which is very compressed and so you will lose quality or AVI... very large file sizes that are sluggish in PE7. AVCHD Upshift can batch convert to high bitrate HDV MPEG2 files that PE7 handles natively. Prices are similar...

http://www.newbluefx.com/avchd-upshift.html

• 2. Re: Camera/PE7 compatibility
            Eddie Ostrowski Level 1

Paul, I will take your advice. Much appreciated and thank you, again. Eddie

• 3. Re: Camera/PE7 compatibility
              Eddie Ostrowski Level 1

Five days ago, our department had it's sights on purchasing a "Canon Vixia HFS-100 HD" camcorder (video and stills). Because of budget constraints, I've been directed to keep the cost under 1G. After reading countless reviews, I'm going to recommend the "Sony DSC-HX1", instead. Having said that, I have 2 questions:  Will "Adobe Premiere Elements 7" be able to open/edit the clips without a hitch? If not, will an app such as "AVCHD UpShift" be necessary? Again, your suggestions are most appreciative... thank you.

• 4. Re: Camera/PE7 compatibility
                Paul_LS Level 4

This is a digital stills camera, with a nice spec that captures high definition in AVC/H.264. You will almost definiately have to convert this as it is not the "Standard" AVCHD but a H.264 variant. Not sure what software you would use. You probably need to do some research on the internet.

There are some video samples on this site. You could try them in PE7 (or the trial version of PE7)

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/review-118-Sony%E2%80%99%EF%BD%93+Cyber-shot+DSC-HX1:++Rev iew.html

• 5. Re: Camera/PE7 compatibility
                  Eddie Ostrowski Level 1

Paul, thanks again for your input. I enjoy learning about new software that I use as a technical illustrator. I know I'll do well with Adobe PE7, as long as there is a manual for me to read. However, to be quite honest, I'm not familiar at all with codecs and their implications. You'd think that the video format from the point & shoot camera by Sony (that I mentioned) would be recognized by Adobe PE7 without a problem. I'm tempted to purchase the camera along with Adobe PE7 and attempt to resolve the codec issue as I learn to use both. In the meantime, I'll study the link you posted. Eddie

• 6. Re: Camera/PE7 compatibility
                    Paul_LS Level 4

Hi Eddie, I downloaded the sample high definition clips and tried them in PE7. they come in as mp4 files but are imported, edit, play and export fine in PE7.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Camera/PE7 compatibility
                      Eddie Ostrowski Level 1

This particular issue of codecs really threw me for a loop. Paul, I thank you very much for your unselfish help/time to me and to many others that I've read on this forum. Eddie

• 8. Re: Camera/PE7 compatibility
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I'm not familiar at all with codecs and their implications

This is something that one picks up, as they go along. Initially, there are only two Video CODEC's with which they need to become familiar: their input (constant if they work with material from the same camera), and output (constant MPEG-2 if they export SD material to DVD). With different cameras, and/or different output configurations, others come into play.

SD CODEC's are a tad easier, as one can usually ignore most of the old ones like Indeo and Vivio, etc., and can also concentrate on MPEG-2 for DVD, and maybe the WMV group and DivX for streaming output. Oh, and throw in FLV for embedded viewers on Web sites.

HD is hot and is flooding the market. Here, each camera mfgr. is working to get the most out the least in the way of storage. There are new CODEC's and variations on existing ones, coming out each quarter. These require a lot of reading and research to keep up with, and folk scramble to find good ways to get most of these into their NLE programs. Still, there will be two main ones: the input and the output. Unless one gets material from clients, they can concentrate on their camera's CODEC and on their normal output, say to BD. Unfortunately, many camera mfgrs. do not go into a lot of detail on exactly which CODEC, and which variation of the CODEC, their camera uses. Some are much better than others. Here, a little freeware utility, G-Spot can save the day. It'll tell you all about your camera's CODEC, and arm you with at least the proper name to go Googling with. The output if to a disc for a computer, or set-top player will be either the DVD-spec for SD, or the BD-spec for blue-laser technology - still pretty simple, as these are well-defined.

Also, as Paul_LS has pointed out, once you know your recording CODEC, which CODEC's (and formats) your NLE wants most, and your output specs., if you ALWAYS do things in the same way, you will succeed. For instance, if your NLE wants Audio in PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit format, it's better to convert MP3's to that, rather than force the NLE to attempt to do internal conversions. Pretty much the same for the Video CODEC's - find out which one(s) your NLE works best with, and feed it that/those. This can take some experimentation, and some reading (like in this forum), but once one gets it down, then always use/convert to, that CODEC and format.

In the HD world, AVCHD is pretty straightforward, and except for the necessary computer horsepower, can be edited nicely - however, there are variations on AVCHD (and more coming) that do not play so nicely with current NLE's. That is what Paul_LS is pointing out in this thread. Still, once you "break the code," and establish the proper workflow, it's usually smooth sailing.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Camera/PE7 compatibility
                          Eddie Ostrowski Level 1

Hunt, anticipating my manager's signoff on this camera/software combination, I'm looking forward to adding video to my arsenal of tools. I also plan to reread your well written explanation on CODECs a few times until I understand it. Along with Paul_LS', yours and Steve Grisetti's posts have been particularly invaluable to me... much appreciated and thank you. Eddie

• 10. Re: Camera/PE7 compatibility
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie,

If you really want something for your "Summer Reading List," I highly recommend DVD Demystified, by Taylor, Johnson & Crawford, McGraw Hill, ISBN 0-07-142396-6. Unfortunately, it will stop short of some of the later CODEC's and their variations. Any printed book will be only up-to-date, as of the moment that it is written. New CODEC's and variations, will be coming out hourly (OK, that is an exaggeration, but you get my point).

Good luck,

Hunt