11 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 9:53 AM by Harm Millaard

Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here

Igor Brnja

Hello,

I have been editing my wedding video in Premiere CS4 for around 4 months now. First I worked with CS3, it crashed a lot (all sorts of unknown reasons) and after I got CS4 it is all bread and butter from there.... until now.

My video is finished and I need to export it to Encore so I can make menus. After I made menus and linked them and so on i exported it to DVD without any encoding because Premiere made them before. I was so happy when I made the DVD, until I played it (on PC, on DVD player, on another DVD player...) and saw very flickering video whether the camera moves or the participants in the video move.

Premiere and Encore are great programs and I am fully satisfied with them but I am trying to encode my finished video and cannot do that.

I have been surfing throughout Internet for over 2 months now, looking in forums, trying all sorts of things, downloading codecs and so on but nothing helps.

I must mention one important thing: In Premiere I have two video formats : VOB (imported .avs and .wav that i made in MeGui, got all AVS plugins and Avisynth) and standard AVI files. When I make the encoding process I explained before, only the parts in which are VOB files are flickering and the parts where are AVI files are normal. How to fix this!?

Can anybody PLEASE help me.... I would be very thankful

Sincerly

Igor Brnja

• 1. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Details are severely lacking here. Details on the codecs used, the sequence settings, interlaced or progressive, export settings, encoding settings, etc.

First guess is field reversal. If you start with DV material, use lower field first and keep it like that all the way, including the encoding to DVD. Do not deinterlace.

• 2. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
            Igor Brnja Level 1

Thank you for such quick answer!

Sequence settings:

General: DV PAL 25fps

Video: D1/Dv PAL (1.0940); Lower field first

Export settings:

Format: MPEG2-DVD

Preset: Tried all PAL presets except widescreen  then went to Custom

Video Settings:

Codec: MainConcept MPEG Video

Quality: 4-5

Pixel Ratio: 720 * 576

Frame Rate: 25

Field Order: Tried all of them... Lower, Upper and Progressive

Bitrate Settings:

VBR, 2 Pass

Min Mbps :5

Target Mbps: 6

Max Mbps: 8

GOP Settings: Default

Today I tried directly importing from Premiere to Encore and than just building it (read it somewhere on the forums) but again I get flickering.

Bye,

Igor

• 3. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Great. Regular 4x3 DV PAL. Timeline around 80 minutes (assumed on you encoding settings), lower field first. All the basics for a good encoding are there. But what about the VOB's you made? These are the ones that cause the problem, aren't they? Have you tried to convert those to DV AVI type2 and then using them in your sequence?

• 4. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                only the parts in which are VOB files are flickering and the parts where are AVI files are normal. How to fix this!?

VOB files are for watching, not editing.  Stop using them and problem solved.

• 5. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Igor,

First, hide all sharp implements and any rope around your office. No need to get "suicidal." Harm and Jim are here to help you. Things WILL get better.

Most of your material is good, and looks (from your next post), like it should work fine. Then, there are the VOB's. Please see Jim's post above (or below, as I do not know how things will display). He makes the valid point. You have converted the VOB's and then Imported those files into PrPro. Please talk us through the workflow with that conversion. I'm not familiar with the program that you used, so you'll need to be pretty specific about what you, and that conversion program do. It is most likely just a setting in the conversion process, that needs tweaking. Or, it could well just be a Field Reversal introduced in your conversion process. It will be fixable, and probalby fixable to a great degree. We just need a bit more info.

You are probably one small step away from success.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS, I miss the "reply #" from the old forum. Yes, I was one of those who wanted the indented, "Reply To" feature, so I have to live with what I asked for - sorry.

• 6. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
                    Igor Brnja Level 1

Mr. Millaard and Mr. Simon,

you will also find an answer to your posts in this reply. I work with VOB files because my "world`s greatest" cameraman gave me this raw version of my wedding on DVD`s, and then I saw VOB files, searched through Internet and saw it is possible to import these as .avs and to work with them.

Then I started chopping .avs files and combining them with other audio and pictures, did that for 4 months and got to this stage. Then I tried to make a DVD with Encore and problems started and by the time I got to the previously mentioned "world`s greatest" cameraman the tapes on which he recorded were gone, thrown away...

So the answer to question "Why do I work with VOB files?" is next: The whole wedding is situated in these VOB files and they are the only files that I have!   (if somebody of you is married you will see the complexity of this situation )

I cannot convert these VOB files in DV avi because then I will have another 4 months of enjoyment, i.e. cutting and joining the video.

The whole process and the programs needed for turning VOB in .avs scripts is given here so please have a look at it:

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22869

Thank you all for your time and effort!

Hope to hear, sorry, read you again with some new ideas!

Bye,

Igor

• 7. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Igor,

For the offending Clips, Select one and go to Clip>Video Options>Field Options. Try reversing the Field Order. I'd not use Flicker Removal, unless you still do not get better results. If you're still not satisfied, try with Flicker Removal.

I'd also try an Export of just one of those Clips, using the WAB (Work Area Bar) and studying that file. I might go so far as to taking that into Encore and Burning a DVD RW (can be re-used many times) to play on a set-top player to a TV. That will be your "critical viewing," unless you have a calibrated monitor to view your work.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the VOB's.

Good luck, and keep those sharp implements locked up, until you get a good Export! [Grin]

Hunt

• 8. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

You know, of course, that marriage is an effort by two people to solve those problems they never would have had if they stayed single....

It is not so much that the "World's Greatest Cameraman" shot the wrong things, his mistake was to lose the original footage on tape. Ask him how he got the original material on DVD, and thus in VOB files. What he did with things like deinterlacing, field settings, flicker removal and the like. What did you do with AviSynth? Why not simply copy the VOB file from DVD to the hard disk, import them in PR and go from there. Maybe you need to demux the VOB and convert the audio to WAV if the VOB contains AC3 sound, but that should get you on the road.

• 9. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree that the videographer probably delivered what was required, or thought to be required, at the time. Not having the tapes does present a problem.

Since Igor has invested the time to do all of the editing, using the .AVS files, do you think that my suggestion might help him change those Field Dominence settings with what he has and has edited?

I'll be honest, even with the odd formats that I get, I have very few Interlacing problems, but much of that lack is probably due to the conversion processes that I run that stuff through, before Import.

I had recommended not using Flicker Removal initially, but holding that for a contingency. What suggestion would you make there?

Also, I wonder about Frame Blend. Again, not something that I've ever really needed, and the only "test" footage, that I could locate in a hurry were actually Progressive, so I did not have material to run tests on - handy.

Just wondering here,

Hunt

PS I think that my long-suffering wife would agree with your "Marriage" comment, but I'm not sure, especially after almost 40 years, that I would...

• 10. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
                            Igor Brnja Level 1

Dear Mr. Hunt and Mr. Millaard,

I am very happy to tell you that my original flickering problem has gone the moment I ticked Reverse Field Dominance and ticked Flicker Removal. All flickering caused by motion is gone.

Of course, it would be very boring if things just sat in their place, but no...

When I encode video in PPro CS4 with these options:

Video quality: 5

Field Order: Lower, Upper

Bitrate Encoding: 2 pass, VBR

Minimum bitrate: 5   

Target bitrate: 6

Maximum bitrate: 7

I get some new sort of flickering not like any I experienced before. The whole image (by image I don`t mean only those buggy VOB`s but even the parts where I added background with some moving pictures and titles as names) goes up and down very fast vertically for cca 5 mm in discrete moments like:

bzzt   bzzt ... ... bzzt  bzzt ... ...

where  bzzt = up/down movement

...   = no movement

so I tried the last field order option, the progressive and finally it`s fine, no flickering at all, no "old" and no "new" flickering.... BUT my titles are very pixelated, as suddenly their resolution dropped...

So again I ask for your advice and help!

Thank you in advance!

yours (Problem-finder 9000),

Igor

• 11. Re: Flickering video... PLEASE HELP... getting suicidal here
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

By choosing progressive, you are effectively throwing away half of your vertical resolution.