5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 9:37 AM by Todd_Kopriva

CS4 crashes at start

Vista Hates Me

Hey,

I recently installed a trial version of Adobe After Effects CS4. A few seconds after the splash screen comes up, after effects dies. I get an error message telling me to contact Adobe Customer Service, and another message saying that it crashed due to error 0 :: 42. I have an EVGA gForce 8500GT graphics card, and all of the drivers are up to date. I run Vista Home premium 32 bit edition, and have an intel Core 2 Duo E5550 2.33Ghz processor. Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: CS4 crashes at start
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Remove the AE_OpenGL.aex plugin from C:\Program Files\Adobe\After Effects\Support Files\Plug-Ins\Extensions . I even believe, your card is not qualified for any Adobe product as it's basically some weird rebranded ******* card based on an slightly older GeForce chip...

Mylenium

P.S: Make sure to launch AE with full privileges the first time. The sniffer_gpu.exe might still crash otherwise, even with the OpenGL plug-in removed.

• 2. Re: CS4 crashes at start
            Vista Hates Me Level 1

Thanks for the help but it still dosent work. It always crashes when the splash screen says "initializing media core". And the sniffer_gpu.exe isnt on my pc. I'm pretty sure that my graphics card isn't the issue, because I've run CS4 before. But I've since reformatted my hard drive.

• 3. Re: CS4 crashes at start
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The GPU sniffer is there, trust me. Anyway, it seems to get beyond that part, though, so it's most likely not the problem. did you use the same drivers for your graphics card when you re-installed? Sounds like you will need to look into that....

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CS4 crashes at start
                White_Shark

Hey guy`s i have same problem but i`m using windows 7, and my after effects cs4 working perfect in 4 past months, but when i try start after effects this morning he give me error (I noticed that the error when starts dropped to load media core). Today i`m downloading new drivers for my graphic card (nVidia Geforce 9800GT) but still can not run After, also i try to delete openGL extension but same thing. If anyone knows how to solve this?

• 5. Re: CS4 crashes at start
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Step 1 (if you haven't done it already):

Install the After Effects CS4 (9.0.2) update.