7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2009 1:04 AM by edenr1

When I import .mts files into Premiere 7 the audio is intermittent?

edenr1

Good afternoon. I am new to this forum and your help would be appreciated. I have recently purchased a Sony Hard Drive Camcorder X105E and I have done my first filming. When I import the files into Premiere Elements 7 and preview them the audio is intermittent on playback. What am I doing wrong cause I cant figure it out?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Regards

Edenr1

• 1. Re: When I import .mts files into Premiere 7 the audio is intermittent?
          Paul_LS Level 4

AVCHD takes a lot of computer resources to play back smoothly and without audio breaks from the timeline. Really you need a quad core processor... ideally one of the new Intel i7 processors. On lesser processors you need to render the timeline before playback. If you hit the Enter key on your keyboard the clip will be rendered and the red line above it will turn green and then the video and audio should playback fine.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: When I import .mts files into Premiere 7 the audio is intermittent?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Paul_LS mentions, this footage takes a lot of computing power. Audio is also dependent on the ability of the HDD's to keep up, as well. This is often exaserbated when other parts of the system are heavily taxed to begin with.

Aside from the CPU issue, and it's a big one, tell us a bit more about your I/O (Input/Output) sub-system. Info on your HDD's (Hard Disk Drives), how they are configured, their speed and transfer-rate will help. Also, while you are at it, how is your Windows Virtual Memory set up and managed? All of these things can play a major roll in the playback, especially of the Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: When I import .mts files into Premiere 7 the audio is intermittent?
              edenr1 Level 1

Thanks to you both for  a prompt reply... Here is what I know about my computer. It has a Q6600 Quad Core 2.4Ghz 1066Mhz FSB and 8Mb Cache with 4096Mhz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM. A 512MB ATi Radeon 3870 Graphics Card running Vista on SP1. Oh and a 500Gb 7200RPM Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive. I have no idea about my virtual memory, what it is or what is does. Anyway thanks in advance for your continued help and I hope I have answered most of your initial questions.

Edenr1

• 4. Re: When I import .mts files into Premiere 7 the audio is intermittent?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, on the I/O, you have one, nicely sized, physical HDD. You don't have it partitioned, do you?

With one physical HDD, so many things are happening at the same exact time:

1.) your OS is reading/writing to it

2.) your program is reading/writing to it

3.) your media is being read from it

4.) your OS's Virtual Memory is probably being used, so it's reading/writing to it

The problem is that all of these (plus possibly some other programs/Processes) are fighting to get their data handled at the same time. Each is telling the HDD that it needs the heads in one place on a platter. Same for the next program, and the next. Unfortunately, regardless of the speed of the HDD and the speed of the controller, the heads can only be in one place at one time.

Especially for the Audio (that is more I/O intensive, than the Video usually is - it taxes the CPU much more), you will benefit from more physical HDD's.

I just posed an ARTICLE in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum. It links to two articles by Harm Millard. His article on HDD setup is a gem. Now, it takes things to a professional NLE level, and few are quite ready for that, still the info is good. Much can be extrapolated from his suggestions. Though he lists the ultimate Video editing setup, many concepts can be applied on a smaller scale. You might want to read over the linked articles. They will give you some things to think about.

Also, I just saw an ad for a 1TB WD ATA-300 HDD for US$ 79.00 at Fry's Electronics. While you may need an ATA-100, this shows how far prices have fallen. I've got an ATA-100 1TB, to augment my 4x1TB SATA II's, and it's not that old. I paid US$ 400 for it! Should have waited, but then I've used it for the last year, so all is not lost.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: When I import .mts files into Premiere 7 the audio is intermittent?
                  edenr1 Level 1

Its all starting to make a bit more sense...I will indeed read the article, at present I dont understand how adding an extra hard drive will help but then I am not much of a techy. I guess if the video editing is running on a seperate hard drive somehow then the computer has a more efficient handling of the data?

The article will probably help to make things more understandable. Thanks again for your time, very much appreciated.

Edenr1

• 6. Re: When I import .mts files into Premiere 7 the audio is intermittent?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I guess if the video editing is running on a seperate hard drive somehow then the computer has a more efficient handling of the data?

You have "broken the code." While there are a bunch of little variables, like how your CPU and chipset handle the calls from/to the HDD controller, etc., you have hit the nail on the head. Ideally, one should set up a system, and this is more than just adding a bunch of HDD's, to spread the work over many HDD's. Efficient controller cards/chips also help this.

In many top-line NLE computers, one will have one HDD (I'm talking physical, and NOT logical, i.e. partitions here), for OS and programs only. Another physical HDD will be used for the Windows Virtual Memory, only. Another will be for all media files. Another for the Project files and the Scratch Discs. Another for Exported Video, with one more for Exported Audio. Often, those last two will be in a RAID configuration of maybe 0, or 50. These will actually be multiple HDD's with a hardware RAID controller. OK, that is the ultimate. I've only got 5 HDD's in my workstation, and do fudge those specifications for a bit. Still, it is a good system. At a minimum, I would strongly recommend 2 HDD's. One would be for OS and Program files, with *maybe* the Windows Virtual Memorey file there. Nothing else! The second HDD would be for the media files, the Project files, Scratch Discs and the Exported files (Audio & Video).

I also recommend stopping any background programs and Processes, while editing. This does mean that one should not be on-line, as the AV and spyware blockers will be turned OFF.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: When I import .mts files into Premiere 7 the audio is intermittent?
                      edenr1 Level 1

Thats very clear now I will do some research into how my PC is set up and spend a few quid to get my set up upgraded. Thanks for the info.

Edenr1