21 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2009 10:05 AM by the_wine_snob

Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0

RndmPplPrsn

I have had this error for some quite some time. It only occurs when I start up a new project or open a old one, not at the direct startup. I have had this problem still after several deep uninstalls (3-4), with configuration of 3.0, and 3.2. I also have had my hardrive wiped completely several times (3-4) times.

And yet I still have this error. My computer is completely sufficient for the stats, I have absolutely no malware according to malwarebytes, and COMODO.

The stats for my PC are: HP m7580n, 4GB of RAM (Motherboard only supports 4GB of RAM (ASUS A8M2N-LA micro ATX is the motherboards model name), nVidea GeForce 9800 GT Videocard, with 512MB of RAM (So my computer only recognizes 3.5 GB of RAM), a 3.0 GHz AMD, Dualcore, proccessor, a 320 GB HDD (Internal), and a 1TB External HDD, with logitech key board, speakers, and mouse, and Realtek HD Soundcard Driver.

My computer runs XP Home, Microsoft Office 2003, and is a Media Center PC as well.

I also know extensively about every signle program installed on PC, so feel free to ask more.

Any help would be appreciated, I have several long and interesting filsm to edit, that probably have taken my over 100 Hours including film, script, continuity, props, other editing that wouldn't transfer (And was scrapped also due to other problems, but was not edited on this PC), and other miscellanious things.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of questions:

1.) How are your physical internal, and your external HDD's used? How are they formated? I would assume that both are NTFS. Is that correct? What is the connection of the external, i.e. USB 2.0, FireWire 400, 800 or eSATA?

2.) After the error, have you looked at Windows Event Viewer, especially at the System and Applications tab? What sort of messages do you get there, regarding the crash?

3.) What other programs and Processes are running on your system? With most computers, there are dozens of unnecessary programs and Processes, that are called at boot-up. Many of these can get in the way of an NLE program, like PE. If you can attach a screen-cap of the Processes tab display from Windows Task Manager, if would help.

4.) In a typical Project, that crashes (new, or old), what are the Project Presets that most often cause the error?

5.) Have any Projects been edited, that did NOT cause the error?

Good luck, and there will probably be a few more questions, based on the answers.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
            RndmPplPrsn Level 1

1.)

-320 GB HDD SATA (NFTS) (XP Installed, Media Center Installed, All Programs installed)

-1TB GB HDD Firewire 800 (NFTS) (Backup and other Seagate files for backup)

2.)

-Proccess Explorer has replaced that, so I have no idea how to view that.

3.)

-Thunderbird

-Evernote

-Logitech Set Point

-iTunes

-KM Player (sometimes)

-Logitech Quickcam Driver

-CC Cleaner

-Proccess Explorer

-COMODO Firewall & Antivirus

-TimeComX Alarm Clock

-NVIDEA Settings

-Realtek Soundcard Driver

4.)

-There are no project presets that I know of that are specific, it does this to every project, and after every new install

5.)

-There were, but they don't exist anymore, I have had the ability to edit for a time, until the past couple of months.

• 3. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
              Paul_LS Level 4

Also try starting Premiere Elements while holding down the LEFT Shift and Ctrl keys, this will flush the cache and preferences. Other thing to try with PE is to delete your prefences  file "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs" in
              C:\documents and settings\[your login name]\adobe\premiere elements\3.0\Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs

Note it might be a hidden file on your PC and so you need to go to into Tools>Folder Options>View and select Show hidden files and folders.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                RndmPplPrsn Level 1

I have tried clearing the cache, but I am not sure its working correctly, because it keeps asking me for plugins when Adobe Premier is starting up, and when loading a file, the serious error occurs again.

I couldn't find the preference file, as it was not in my doucments and settings, it was in my documents though. Although even after showing system files & folders, etc.... I did not see the Adobe Premier Elements Prefs in the folder.

• 5. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                  Paul_LS Level 4

Sorry, the Prefs file is here:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\3.0

• 6. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                    RndmPplPrsn Level 1

I deleted the files. The error still occurs.

• 7. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Windows Event Viewer will still be accessible. Since I always have it on a shortcut from my Desktop, I'm not sure of the location for quickstart, though probably througn Start>Control Panel>?

The Path is C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.exe.

I do not see anything in your running programs, with the possible exception of ITurnes. I know that iTunesHelper can cause some issues, and it will appear in your Processes. Skype, I do not know. As these look like programs, that are running, I'm wondering about the various Processes. When you launch Even Viewer, you will see two tabs of importance, System and Applications. Look at those for error messages. These are listed in descending time order, so you will likely see many loading messages, etc., and have to scroll down to approximage times of a crash. To keep from having to go back too far, just launch PE and wait for it to crash. Then, go to Event Viewer. You might get lucky and find the faulting module, or something else that is also crashing along with it, maybe a program/Process that you were not even aware was crashing.

Still, do not see anything that stands out.

You have two HDD, one internal and one external. How are your Windows Virtual Memory, your media files and your Project files, with Scratch Disks set up?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                        RndmPplPrsn Level 1

Event viewer wasn't in system 32. Or anywhere else that I could find, using search.

I am not sure what scratch disks are, but all my files are on my internal HDD, my 1TB HDD is purely a backup at the moment.

• 9. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                          RndmPplPrsn Level 1

Nevermind I found it.

• 10. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, so you have your OS, your programs, your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File), your media files, your Project files, your Scratch Disks (Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks [usually set by default to "Same Location as Project]), and any Render files, Conformed Audio and PEK files all on the same HDD. That is a lot, that you're asking from one HDD. You''ve got the OS, the program, the Windows Virtual Memory, doing a read/write, and your media files needing to be read - all at the same time. Usually, a system can do this, with only major slowdowns, and especially juddering Video and Audio playback. Again, *usually* PE doesn't crash, just run horribly slowly.

I am truely surprised that your OS does not have Event Viewer. It is an invaluable tool for diagnosing crashing programs. This is too bad, as it certainly might tell you exactly what aspect of PE is crashing. Do not know of a freeware utility similar to it, but Google might help you.

Did you look at the Processes running in Process Explorer? It looks like you listed the loaded programs only.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas to try.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Great!

Now, you've got a bit of clicking to do. For all of the Events, marked with the red, you need to Dbl-click on those, and read the details. Some *might* be of use, like the "Hanging Module." Some will probably a bunch of binaryhex code, that not even MS knows what it means. If there are any active HTML links in those error messages, follow them. Some will just get you to another part of the error message, but many will take you to various Web sites, especially MS's. Read all that you find on those sites. There can be a wealth of useful data, like drivers that are interfering with operations, and also possibly links to knowledgebase articles. You WILL want to read each of these, and read them carefully.

I'd also look at all of the Events in yellow, as they indicate some potential problems and might well be leading up to the red error messags. Same drill for those too - follow every link and read everything offered.

Good luck, and please let us know what you find.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not recall if I posted this LINK to this thread, but take a look at it. Do follow the link to "The Case of the Unexplained." Sit back and enjoy that AV. About half-way through, start taking notes on recommended MS utility programs, and how to use them. This info is absolutely fabulous for troubleshooting mystery crashes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                                  RndmPplPrsn Level 1

I could not make sense of this much. Here's the links I got though, and a picture.

Only the hang had anything useful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942843/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684/

• 16. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Is your OS MS Windows Server 2003?

Hunt

• 18. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Odd. I do not understand why your program crashes are coming from a backup component used in Windows Server 2003. That puzzles me greatly.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                                        RndmPplPrsn Level 1

This is why HP's deserved to served up to the Dell Gods (Or Whatever) and sold into all its component parts. I have severely upgraded, and fixed this this to get it working the best possbile. I am not even goint to describe how much of a pain it was using the HP backup/HDD management thing.

• 20. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                                          RndmPplPrsn Level 1

Fixed!

Thanks it was due to some of a couple added extra files from my old installs, that I didn't delete that I was getting these errors.

Thanks for all of your help.

• 21. Re: Serious Error in Adobe Premier 3.0
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Fixed!

One great word to read. Glad that you got it going.

Since your post regarding the Windows Server 2003 message in Event Viewer, I ran across another similar thread in another forum. The user found the same "answer" and was also not running Windows Server 2003. If I can find that thread, I'll link your thread to it for that user. It looks like Windows throws a bogus "answer," under certain conditions. It could be a conflict in file names between something in Windows Server 2003 and some Adobe programs. Since none, to my knowledge are certified for Windows Server 2003, maybe Adobe is just unaware of such a conflict, and Windows sees something that it believes is related to Windows Server 2003, when it's really and Adobe file issue - or it could be somthing else entirely.

Thanks for posting both your success and your solution.

Hunt